U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,684,340 times

Advertisements

It seems that the most crime-ridden part of every big city is in the south. South Chicago. South Central LA. Southeast (across the Anacostia anyway) DC. What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,109,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It seems that the most crime-ridden part of every big city is in the south. South Chicago. South Central LA. Southeast (across the Anacostia anyway) DC. What's up with that?
Funny thing, what you say is often true, except for Philadelphia ... and Milwaukee ... and New York ...

Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM

12,199 posts, read 10,411,824 times
I've always wondered the same thing myself. Other than Philly and Seattle, I haven't been to a major city where the roughest part of town wasn't the "South Side" (one could argue west Chicago rivals its south side).

Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM

116 posts, read 175,427 times
Minneapolis might be an exception. South Mpls is almost suburban, usually pretty safe, while north Mpls is the typical "Bad side" of the city. But good observation, there are a bunch of major cities with the south side. I wonder why?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:20 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,031,553 times
I remember reading something about this. Something like wealthier parts of a city or metro tend to be on the north side of cities and the crime ridden areas on the south.

If I came across what I read again, it'd probably make more sense.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
it is because when a town was settled it was geerally on the Noth side of the railroad tracks because they wanted to keep the cattle smells downwind which generally blew in a South-Easterly direction. All the good home lots on the north side of the tracks went for more money and could only be afforded by the well-to-do. Poor people were relegated to "the other side of the tracks" where they continue to languish to this day...being put down upon by the Man!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,969,738 times
It also seems common that the eastern side of a city is less affluent than the western side, for whatever reason. This holds true for London, Paris, Rome, LA, Boston...

Old 03-02-2012, 01:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
you cant generalize like that, every city is different, but most cities do have a bad side. In St. Louis, the North side is bad, the South side is considered the good side. In Memphis, the North side & the South side are equally as bad. It's Downtown, the middle areas, and the East side that are nice.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:14 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,536,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
It also seems common that the eastern side of a city is less affluent than the western side, for whatever reason. This holds true for London, Paris, Rome, LA, Boston...
This is true. The east side of cities are/were often the poorest and had the most crime. This is because the winds are out of the west in the midlatitudes. Thus the smog and smells associated with industry in the central city would drift to the east side. Property on the "fresher" west side would be in higher demand and more expensive.
I have no answer for the south side of town, nor am I familiar with any cities that have a poor south side. East side only

Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,610,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I've always wondered the same thing myself. Other than Philly and Seattle, I haven't been to a major city where the roughest part of town wasn't the "South Side" (one could argue west Chicago rivals its south side).
Actually the roughest parts of Seattle are on the south side of town. Rainier Beach down to the rougher suburbs like White Center and North Burien.

The southern parts of Portland, Oregon actually though are safer and more middle class for the most part than much of the east side or North Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or