Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 05:20 PM

10,263 posts, read 12,459,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat2009 View Post
Also americans put family and work before anything else. Americans would prefer to earn more money than vacation more to provide for themselves and their family to have their American dream live on. Europe may have better transportation, culture, and beauty, but the U.S. is like a holy grail for Europeans and foreigners, if you work hard in this country you will live a prosperous, good life.

Maybe in the 70' and 80' .It is very difficult today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 06:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,812,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoibhd84 View Post
I think the biggest factors are geographical location, size and cost. The US is more like a continent than a country, geographically speaking. Flights between the US and Europe are costly and are rising. It's easy to travel abroad if you are a European. If you are a mainland European you have the luxury of the ability to drive through many countries, if you wish. If you're a Scandinavian or a resident of the British Isles you have options such as trains, ferries (with your car)and cheap flights with budget airlines to get to your destination/s of choice on the continent. You can get a ferry from Europe to Africa in 30 minutes for under 20 euros. The proximity to the rest of the world and size of Europe makes traveling abroad easy for Europeans compared to the US and other nations.
Pretty much. It's all about geography. Even the most isolated European countries aren't that far from other countries, and or continents.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,316,917 times
This is a very long thread so I admit to not taking the time to read all of it. I am going to bring up some points I hope have not already been mentioned.

First of all, I wonder how many the OP spoke to. S/he makes a statement that Americans don't travel to foreign countries but I know many who do. How many do I know and how many does s/he know? What are the stats on this?

Second, American cities are often like little European or Latin American or Asian countries. There are neighborhoods where people can go and feel they are in those countries by virtue stores and restaurants run by recently landed from there. The native languages can still be heard. It may not be an ideal means of travel but it's certainly less expensive than traveling thousands of miles overseas which many Americans cannot afford. It's enough for some.

Third, and this has been mentioned many times here, going from country to country when one lives in Europe is the American equivalent of going from state to state which Americans to frequently.

Fourth, Canada and Mexico are different countries. Americans visit those places a lot. Pacific Islands are as well. Those are popular. I think Americans are pretty frequent visitors to Bermuda, the Bahamas and other tropical places too. Europe isn't the only foreign territory.

I have been to England and I would love to return. I would love to go to other European countries and Eastern Europe as well. My sister and her husband now are doing a tour of Southeast Asia. One of my former coworkers spends every penny traveling overseas. Some people like to travel, some don't. I bet a lot of Europeans stay home just like many Americans.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM

37 posts, read 87,629 times
I have been to Mexico City and am visiting England and Wales this spring break.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 PM

154 posts, read 196,944 times
* America is bigger than all of Europe. Traveling to another state is almost like traveling to another country within Europe.
* America is very diverse in terms of everything, and has everything from big world cities, to islands, to beaches, to deserts, to mountains, etc.
* 99% of America has very warm to hot summers, so no need to travel to enjoy sunshine and warmth.
* Flight tickets internationally more expensive.
* Americans on average get less vacation time.
* Most Americans spend their money on houses, cars, kid's stuff and dining out

Still millions of Americans travel overseas. We also have Canada and Mexico neighbor us.
I know many Americans who travel to the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada. Not all Europeans travel outside of Europe either.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,560,693 times
In general, I think it's a lack of curiosity.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,060,473 times
I am from Europe living in America. After my first 4 years here, I traveled to Europe twice. Now I am traveling to different American cities and states because it's cheaper and faster and there is so much to see. Every state is like a different country with different laws and customs. Of course I always enjoy going to Europe, but I want to see more American cities first.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,316,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I am from Europe living in America. After my first 4 years here, I traveled to Europe twice. Now I am traveling to different American cities and states because it's cheaper and faster and there is so much to see. Every state is like a different country with different laws and customs. Of course I always enjoy going to Europe, but I want to see more American cities first.
Interesting observation from a European's point of view. I think maybe a lot of people overseas who have never been to American don't realize this. Not the OP of course but many who have not been here and are not aware of how different the states can be from one another from climate to customs.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,277,427 times
I just don't have the money to travel anywhere else except for North America and the Caribbean. I'd love to travel to Europe and Africa. But the flights are typically over $1000. I'm sure many Americans are in the same situation I'm in.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,129,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandicA View Post
* America is bigger than all of Europe. Traveling to another state is almost like traveling to another country within Europe.
* America is very diverse in terms of everything, and has everything from big world cities, to islands, to beaches, to deserts, to mountains, etc.
* 99% of America has very warm to hot summers, so no need to travel to enjoy sunshine and warmth.
* Flight tickets internationally more expensive.
* Americans on average get less vacation time.
* Most Americans spend their money on houses, cars, kid's stuff and dining out

Still millions of Americans travel overseas. We also have Canada and Mexico neighbor us.
I know many Americans who travel to the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada. Not all Europeans travel outside of Europe either.
Traveling is fun. Learn new things - meet new people - learn different cultures.

I know MANY Americans, who like ourselves, travel extensively - get off the "beaten track". Love cruising also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.