Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 01:37 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,604,647 times

Advertisements

Finances forcing me to stay put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 AM
FBF

602 posts, read 926,426 times
I am currently broke after all the Christmas shopping I did !

But within 8-9 months of saving I will go to either a South American country or Japan.

I generally save a few hundred dollars a month ($350-$500) and it is doable provided I stay at hostels or budget hotels.

You do not need to be rich, of course it can add up if you have a big family, if going solo or traveling small groups to split the costs.

Now if only the clowns back home (TSA) will understand this and stop assuming I do drugs to afford this (yes, the TSA always grill me why on earth I travel outside the States by myself and how I paid for my trip because I am young minority).

Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 PM

43,303 posts, read 44,001,476 times
Most Americans that I know have traveled overseas but perhaps that is because I live in a large cosmopolitan metro area.
The Americans that I know who haven't traveled overseas it usually because their finances don't permit them having other priorities.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,091,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Again, I believe that most people traveling abroad are at least middle class. Not sure why this is controversial, especially because less than 40% of Americans even have a passport. I don't think lower-than-middle-class families are jetting off abroad too often, at least not for leisure purposes.

And again, you seem to have a problem with this. Apparently you think people not earning a middle class wage are frequently dropping 10k to go to Europe on vacation.
Well, let's see. I've been to Europe a number of times, and never spent 10K. You must not have much experience in really traveling.

And my problem with what you said was not that they were middle class ... but that they were middle class AND professional. Now you've conveniently dropped the "and professional." It was that part to which I was objecting. It's arrogant and elitist to assume that unless you are "professional" you can't be anything other than lower class.

And yes, arrogance and elitism offends me.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,493,941 times
Go to Paris, every third person is America.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,887,486 times
How about we end this thread with Americans do travel overseas, and this is just another stupid stereotype that aims to prove Americans are ignorant when in reality those who think this is true are really the ignorant ones.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM

27,268 posts, read 28,339,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
How about we end this thread with Americans do travel overseas, and this is just another stupid stereotype that aims to prove Americans are ignorant when in reality those who think this is true are really the ignorant ones.
Exactly. It is very common for people who are middle-class or above in the Washington, D.C. area to travel overseas - to Europe, Asia, South America, Africa, etc.

Actually, it's kind of unusual for people here not to (at least those who I know).

Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Good call.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,278 times
This is sooo true! They are not REALLY curious about other nationalities or countries, they are just more nosy than any other nationality in the world. I live in NYC for 14 years and traveled to a few countries besides my own, Ukraine. I completely know that most Americans don't consider traveling as a very important aspect in life and it's SAD. Traveling is extremely important, it's a priority and it gives you a sense of personal growth and I can't imagine my life without traveling! My husband is American and 2 years ago I had a goal to go to Ibiza, Spain, and thank God we were able to go. It was amazing of course, but... he was not able to take off from work even 2 weeks, so we went for a week and it was not enough definitely.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,140,474 times
I dunno ... if my wife wanted me to spend 2 weeks in Ibiza I would definitely narrow that down to as little time as possible .... maybe even accidently hop a jet to a completely different location - by accident of course ....... especially in the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.