U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,034,245 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't want to deal with customs and having to explain why my lotion is not for some bomb making material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,632,224 times
As an American, I can honestly say that I have little to no interest in seeing other countries. The only exception would be Canada. Besides, I don't fly so going to Europe would be very difficult. I have never had a passport.

There's a lot I have yet to see in America and that would rank higher in priority for me. I like road trips so that's always my mode of travel.

I know people who love to travel to foreign countries, but that just isn't me and I'm not sure why; just an acute lack of interest. Yet I follow news including international news quite a bit.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What no one seems to mention is the fact that Americans get much less vacation time than just about every other industrialized nation. Other countries pass laws guaranteeing many weeks for workers. Americans by and large don't seem to think govt should play much of a role in that kind of thing, so you just get raked over the coals on vacation time by your employer. It sucks.
I mentioned this ^.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
As an American, I can honestly say that I have little to no interest in seeing other countries. The only exception would be Canada. Besides, I don't fly so going to Europe would be very difficult. I have never had a passport.

There's a lot I have yet to see in America and that would rank higher in priority for me. I like road trips so that's always my mode of travel.

I know people who love to travel to foreign countries, but that just isn't me and I'm not sure why; just an acute lack of interest. Yet I follow news including international news quite a bit.
I love to travel but don't think less of those who don't. Means less crowds!

And travelling doesn't always make you more aware of the world. You can go to a beach in Jamaica, barely leave the resort or interract to the locals and be no wiser about the country than when you arrived.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,157,019 times
I travel internationally when I can, and take overseas vacations once every 3-5 years. I'd travel abroad more if I had (1) more money, and (2) more vacation time. My family all live in other states, so when I have an opportunity to take time away from work, I want to go visit them. I'm not left with much time to spend on my own getaways.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,185,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What no one seems to mention is the fact that Americans get much less vacation time than just about every other industrialized nation. Other countries pass laws guaranteeing many weeks for workers. Americans by and large don't seem to think govt should play much of a role in that kind of thing, so you just get raked over the coals on vacation time by your employer. It sucks.
Absolutely. Out of all my past coworkers, the one who had the most vacation time available had been with the company for 35 years, and he had four weeks he could use per year. And he could only use it a week at a time. I worked at my last job for five years, and I had two weeks, and that was the most I'd ever had in all my years working.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 PM

200 posts, read 697,021 times
In my opinion, there are many Americans who travel abroad to Europe. However, the overwhelmingly majority of the population does not. This difference from Europeans occurs due to educational and geographic differences amongst nations. For example, many citizens from Scandanavian countries such as Denmark, Sweden, and Finland, learn to speak English from their public schooling, some of these citizens speak better than Americans. Overall, Europeans know how to speak more languages well compared to other Americans. Second, Western Europe is connected vastly by train routes. In addition, Europe has a better public transportation system. These language and transportation advantages allow Europeans to travel widely throughout their continent. Comparatively, the US is connected mostly by the interstate, so most Americans prefer to just drive wherever they go. Americans have abandoned the city and would rather live their suburban lifestyle. Since many Europeans tend to speak foreign languages more and better than Americans, they tend to travel to the U.S. more. Comparatively, most Americans do not know how to speak another language fluently and therefore believe it would be difficult for them to travel to a foreign country, so they prefer to travel in the United States. Another major reason Americans do not travel abroad is because of terrible exchange rate from the US dollar to the Euro. Lastly, American's are much more individualistic than Europeans, Americans tend to stay in their neck of the woods. The last key point I would like to mention is that mostly Americans who are students, educated individuals, or are wealthy tend to travel abroad. This is the American minority that wishes and is interested in traveling abroad. A person who is educated is much more likely to travel abroad than someone who is not. The educated person, will usually have more motive to learn, explore, and maybe know another language decently than someone who is not. After living in the US away from my homeland for many years I have learned these cultural differences.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 PM

Also americans put family and work before anything else. Americans would prefer to earn more money than vacation more to provide for themselves and their family to have their American dream live on. Europe may have better transportation, culture, and beauty, but the U.S. is like a holy grail for Europeans and foreigners, if you work hard in this country you will live a prosperous, good life.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:50 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
I think that more than anything else, it has to do with money and vacation time. Countries in the EU, Japan, and Australia have totally different government-mandated vacation rules than the US does.

You're much more at the mercy of your employer's vacation and paid time off policies (PTO) over here than in other places; I've had coworkers and friends from overseas who were mindboggled at the scant number of sick days they were given, and at the notion of dipping into vacation time to make up pay for any days over your paid sick leave. Some places do it per hours worked, some places do it as a flat number of days per year... one place I worked at gave you 8 hours of PTO for every 40 you worked, and on the other end of the spectrum, another place gave you three days of sick leave with a doctor's note, two days bereavement for spouse or children only, and five days vacation per year.

It's not that we don't want to, it's just that we often don't have to opportunity to. People here often cite the desire to go on overseas vacations as reasons that they don't have children or postpone weddings

Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 PM

Traveling form New York to Florida in the winter is like going from Sweden to Bermuda in half the time, I just love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or