U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 AM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
No, I live in California, and in private sector.

Maybe my experiences are unusual, but I really do not know any professional jobs with only 16 days off. I don't know how that would be possible unless people are forced to work on Christmas or something, or they don't even have two weeks vacation.
But none of the articles - or people discussing this (except you) have limited the discussion to PROFESSIONAL jobs. There are lots and lots of Americans working in jobs that aren't classified as "professional." More than there are in professional jobs, for that matter.

Also, like I said earlier, it's not just the NUMBER of days that's important - it's also how many days you can take off CONSECUTIVELY. As mentioned, my husband has 20 weeks or so off PER YEAR but he can only take that time in two week increments - not longer. It's hard to get in a good international vacation, including travel time and time to rest up afterwards (not to mention getting a few days' rest after working for 2-3 weeks STRAIGHT with no holidays or weekends off) in just two weeks. We've done it several times, but I always feel sorry for my husband because he starts vacation tired, and then goes back to work tired...and never really got to even be home to just relax.

See? Everyone's situation is different - even people with twenty weeks of vacation per year face challenges when trying to work in a trip overseas. (I know - first world problems!)

Many companies won't let even their executives take longer than two weeks off at a time as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 11:17 AM

6,413 posts, read 10,395,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDMC View Post
I don't speak French and I wanted that experience I'd just go to France. lol

Lot of Canadians seem to hate Americans so don't really want to spend my money up there.
Hmph. And the French don't?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That would only apply as an American point of view to an American who has never left the country before. Once you leave the USA you realize how many amazing places there are in the world. Especially different cities and cultures. America has awesome natural areas for sure, but for urban/cities most of ours are pretty lame, stale and fairly souless compared to much of the world.
I'm an American. I've "left the country" plenty of times. And I've traveled throughout America. I don't recall finding anything in America I'd call "pretty lame, stale and fairly souless."

Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,940,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But none of the articles - or people discussing this (except you) have limited the discussion to PROFESSIONAL jobs. There are lots and lots of Americans working in jobs that aren't classified as "professional." More than there are in professional jobs, for that matter.
Ok, you're right, but we're talking world traveling here. Why would we look at non-professional jobs?

It isn't some universal right inherent in all people to travel the world.

Most people traveling the world are at least middle class, with professional-type jobs. This is true whether traveler is from U.S., Germany, Japan, wherever. It's generally irresponsible to be a fry cook at McD's and plan a trip to Thailand.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Ok, you're right, but we're talking world traveling here. Why would we look at non-professional jobs?

Most people traveling the world are at least middle class, with professional-type jobs. This is true whether traveler is from U.S., Germany, Japan, wherever. It's generally irresponsible to be a fry cook at McD's and plan a trip to Thailand.
Oh my. I guess I'm glad I didn't know you before I traveled the world. I wasn't aware that I wasn't good enough to do it. Silly me.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Oh my. I guess I'm glad I didn't know you before I traveled the world. I wasn't aware that I wasn't good enough to do it. Silly me.
Geez, I'm sorry if I offended you with basic economics! Silly me!

I never said someone couldn't travel overseas; I just said that it wouldn't be economically prudent if you have extremely low wages. I'm not traveling to Fiji on minimum wage.

If you personally think it's a good idea, then go ahead. I'm just saying that most people wouldn't do such a trip if their finances were stretched.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Geez, I'm sorry if I offended you with basic economics! Silly me!

I never said someone couldn't travel overseas; I just said that it wouldn't be economically prudent if you have extremely low wages. I'm not traveling to Fiji on minimum wage.

If you personally think it's a good idea, then go ahead. I'm just saying that most people wouldn't do such a trip if their finances were stretched.
It's arrogant of you to assume that one needs to be a "professional" in order to earn a good living.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It's arrogant of you to assume that one needs to be a "professional" in order to earn a good living.
I never wrote such a thing.

I said that most people traveling overseas are at least middle class and professional, and apparently you find this offensive.

I don't think the Russian or Chinese tourists I see in Manhattan or at Disney are working lower wage employment. Same goes for Americans abroad. Americans I see in Italy or Greece do not appear to me to be generally lower wage.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:16 PM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Quote:

There's a lot of middle ground between "fry cook at McDs" and "professional," and a wide range of personal lifestyles in between as well.

There are also jobs that may not fit your criteria of "professional" which also pay well. And there are independent contractors who get no paid vacations AT ALL (for instance, my husband gets no paid vacation). You're looking at this in way too narrow a manner, just to prove some sort of point about how many vacation days people get in the US?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I never wrote such a thing.

I said that most people traveling overseas are at least middle class and professional, and apparently you find this offensive.

I don't think the Russian or Chinese tourists I see in Manhattan or at Disney are working lower wage employment. Same goes for Americans abroad. Americans I see in Italy or Greece do not appear to me to be generally lower wage.
You didn't? You just did it again. You talk about how they're "at least middle class and professional" ... and then assume everyone else is "working lower wage employment."

Quote:

Most people traveling the world are at least middle class, with professional-type jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or