U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-30-2013, 06:41 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 1,937,210 times
Reputation: 871

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
You didn't? You just did it again. You talk about how they're "at least middle class and professional" ... and then assume everyone else is "working lower wage employment."
Again, I believe that most people traveling abroad are at least middle class. Not sure why this is controversial, especially because less than 40% of Americans even have a passport. I don't think lower-than-middle-class families are jetting off abroad too often, at least not for leisure purposes.

And again, you seem to have a problem with this. Apparently you think people not earning a middle class wage are frequently dropping 10k to go to Europe on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2013, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Reputation: 63187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Again, I believe that most people traveling abroad are at least middle class. Not sure why this is controversial, especially because less than 40% of Americans even have a passport. I don't think lower-than-middle-class families are jetting off abroad too often, at least not for leisure purposes.

And again, you seem to have a problem with this. Apparently you think people not earning a middle class wage are frequently dropping 10k to go to Europe on vacation.
Now you're moving the goal posts.

You originally started down this (flawed) path with the assertion that you didn't believe that PROFESSIONALS in the US had an average of 16 days off - which no one claimed anyway. When this was pointed out to you - that we're not talking about ONLY professionals, you backtracked to claim that you didn't know why we were talking about anyone other than people with professional jobs and more than two weeks of paid vacation, because apparently only those people have the extra money (and apparently time) to travel internationally. Then when I pointed out to you that my husband gets NO TIME OFF WITH PAY (along with tons of other people in the US) but we still travel internationally, you ignored that and hooked onto this whole weird take on things.

Stop while you're behind! You're chasing your tail around!

International travel is expensive. But different people have different situations, and people from all walks of life find travel interesting and try to work it in. It's the LOGISTICS that are often difficult, as I've explained in detail repeatedly, so I won't do so again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 08:24 PM
 
180 posts, read 279,900 times
Reputation: 101
As an American who's lived abroad for years and traveled tons:

What other countries call neighbors, we call states. I wonder how many Europeans have been to Asia, Africa, and South America?

Another aspect is the American disdain for Hostels. The closet equivalent in America is the love motel(much rarer) and cheap "motels" which are depicted as universally shady places for hookers, junkies, and illicit affairs. So American vacations budget an additional $75-$200 per night at a respectable hotel rather than a hostel. Except for big cities, there isn't a hostel culture here.

$1400 round trip ticket abroad + $1500 in hotel fees = $3400 in da hole just to walk around abroad. Got kids and wife? Add another $3000+.

I think we need some sort of work-visa exchange so more Americans can work abroad. Right now, the US army seems to be the easiest way for poor Americans to see the world.....working abroad rocks...wish more jobs offered it.

Last edited by minos16; 12-30-2013 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 08:28 PM
 
180 posts, read 279,900 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's great and I'm sure you had a blast. Most people who are in college don't have the funds (unless they come from someone else) to travel internationally. Most people out of college and under 26 don't either!

But like I said, if you have the funds for it, I would definitely recommend international travel.

As for youth hostels - no thanks. Besides the fact that I'm 51, I'm also spoiled to a good night's sleep in a comfortable private room with a private bathroom. And lest I be accused of not being adventurous enough, walking the El Camino de Santiago is on my bucket list - I'll make an exception in that case. Though I'll probably regret it about three nights into the trip, and I'll be on my phone scouring the area for hotels!

Many hostels offer that if you pay slightly more. I've been to Hostels that destroy hotels and closely resemble bed and breakfasts in the states. Heck, some hostels were former hotels so all the amenities are available for those willing to pay 10-30% premium; they just converted half the rooms to bunk beads....I suppose there weren't any mints on a pillow.

The answer to your concern is simply spending more money....don't even get me started on some of the elite/high end hostels...one guy in China made a jungle village in the city that is Swiss Family Robinson with Sushi Chefs and Tree house rooms....in the CITY.

Hell of alot of fun staying in hostels....much more guest interaction and crazy camaraderie; no hotel can match that IMO.

I've stayed in $2k a night suites....give me a hostel anytime.

Last edited by minos16; 12-30-2013 at 08:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times
Reputation: 5389
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDMC View Post
ok, well the Carolina beaches work for me. I can go out on the Isle of Palmes and then go to downtown Charleston later. Don't have to spend a lot of money or travel time either.

I guess if you like ocean water that looks like brown river water you would enjoy SC beaches. I prefer bluish green ocean water myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Reputation: 63187
Quote:
Originally Posted by minos16 View Post
Many hostels offer that if you pay slightly more. I've been to Hostels that destroy hotels and closely resemble bed and breakfasts in the states. Heck, some hostels were former hotels so all the amenities are available for those willing to pay 10-30% premium; they just converted half the rooms to bunk beads....I suppose there weren't any mints on a pillow.

The answer to your concern is simply spending more money....don't even get me started on some of the elite/high end hostels...one guy in China made a jungle village in the city that is Swiss Family Robinson with Sushi Chefs and Tree house rooms....in the CITY.

Hell of alot of fun staying in hostels....much more guest interaction and crazy camaraderie; no hotel can match that IMO.

I've stayed in $2k a night suites....give me a hostel anytime.
To each his own. Not my thang. Heck, I don't even like many bed and breakfasts. I prefer nice hotels. And there's nothing wrong with that, for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Reputation: 63187
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDMC View Post
ok, well the Carolina beaches work for me. I can go out on the Isle of Palmes and then go to downtown Charleston later. Don't have to spend a lot of money or travel time either.
South Carolina does have some beautiful beaches! So does North Carolina. I love the Outer Banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 PM
 
29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Reputation: 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I guess if you like ocean water that looks like brown river water you would enjoy SC beaches. I prefer bluish green ocean water myself.
The beach itself isn't the main attraction along the SC coast though; it tends to act as an added bonus. I can't remember the last time I even went to the beach when I visited Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To each his own. Not my thang. Heck, I don't even like many bed and breakfasts. I prefer nice hotels. And there's nothing wrong with that, for that matter.
So basically you refuse to visit another culture b/c you are inconvenienced in staying in anything less than a nice hotel. I take it you aren't into going camping either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Reputation: 63187
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So basically you refuse to visit another culture b/c you are inconvenienced in staying in anything less than a nice hotel. I take it you aren't into going camping either.


Where or when did I say I refuse to visit another culture? I just refuse to stay in hostels.

And you're right - I don't care much for camping either. So what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top