U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-13-2014, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,334 posts, read 10,309,361 times
Reputation: 5400

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Does America have this:


All sizes | Giza Pyramids | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (All sizes | Giza Pyramids | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link)


All sizes | Machu Pichu | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (All sizes | Machu Pichu | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link)


All sizes | Schloß Neuschwanstien | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (All sizes | Schloß Neuschwanstien | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link)


All sizes | Great Wall O' China | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (All sizes | Great Wall O' China | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link)


All sizes | Venice Gondola By Trattoria | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (All sizes | Venice Gondola By Trattoria | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link)


All sizes | African Safari | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (All sizes | African Safari | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link)


Great post and retort to the nonsense that America has it all in scenery. Vast tracts of America all look the same. The most scenic parts are in the West, but still a lot of the same type of desert or mountain scenery. The beaches of America are so overdeveloped and chock a block full of houses, condos, highrises, etc. as very few beautiful untouched beach areas remain. Many beaches are eroding terribly with mud outcrops and trees falling into the surf (particularly in S. Carolina and Georgia, etc.)

Btw folks, the Rocky Mountains are no match for the Alps in Europe. The Alps are stunning, the Rockies much more broad, tree clad and just not nearly as steep and jagged.

Europe has gorgeous beaches and islands in the Med, yet Europeans still travel to Asia, America and elsewhere.

Americans think they live in the most beautiful, greatest, blah, blah. They've been fed a line of bull from birth. We are not number one in anything anymore, and are falling further and further behind. Just keep watching your fox news, voting in the right wing nuts, and you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2014, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,742 posts, read 8,305,781 times
Reputation: 5796
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Great post and retort to the nonsense that America has it all in scenery. Vast tracts of America all look the same. The most scenic parts are in the West, but still a lot of the same type of desert or mountain scenery. The beaches of America are so overdeveloped and chock a block full of houses, condos, highrises, etc. as very few beautiful untouched beach areas remain. Many beaches are eroding terribly with mud outcrops and trees falling into the surf (particularly in S. Carolina and Georgia, etc.)

Btw folks, the Rocky Mountains are no match for the Alps in Europe. The Alps are stunning, the Rockies much more broad, tree clad and just not nearly as steep and jagged.

Europe has gorgeous beaches and islands in the Med, yet Europeans still travel to Asia, America and elsewhere.

Americans think they live in the most beautiful, greatest, blah, blah. They've been fed a line of bull from birth. We are not number one in anything anymore, and are falling further and further behind. Just keep watching your fox news, voting in the right wing nuts, and you will be fine.
By whom?

The only thing that I can remember being taught was a single song called "America the Beautiful".

Do you have any examples? Or are you just lying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2014, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,334 posts, read 10,309,361 times
Reputation: 5400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
By whom?

The only thing that I can remember being taught was a single song called "America the Beautiful".

Do you have any examples? Or are you just lying?

The lying is done by the right wing blabbing on and on about "American Exceptionalism". Look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2014, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,314 posts, read 1,738,027 times
Reputation: 946
^ You go, superangry dude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2014, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas via ATX
1,255 posts, read 1,477,504 times
Reputation: 1732
The USA is a vast country, you might have noticed. There is so much to see here that most Americans never even get to visit all of the regions in their own country.

I think that's part of it. France is only the size of Texas, so being an "international" traveler is much easier in places like Europe. I've been all over the U.S. including Alaska, and I'd venture that I've covered more travel miles in my lifetime than the average European.

Lots of Americans travel overseas. Most people I associate with have at least made one international trip in their lifetimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2014, 06:21 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Reputation: 9029
-insert unorigoinal complaint about americans here-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
6,413 posts, read 10,390,618 times
Reputation: 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Lots of Americans travel overseas. Most people I associate with have at least made one international trip in their lifetimes.
I'm not sure I know anyone who hasn't traveled internationally. At least, among the people I know well enough to know where they've traveled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 1,939,021 times
Reputation: 871
This entire thread is silly. Anyone who travels to tourist destinations knows that Americans are everywhere in the world, in huge numbers. If you visit Italy, or Paris, or wherever, there are tons of Americans, so much so that they often dominate the visitor numbers.

I personally wish there were fewer Americans traveling everywhere. It would be nice to actually hear Italian in Florence, instead of hearing American English from every other person on the street.

The US has over 300 million people, and is richer than any other major nation on earth, so it obviously makes sense that they will have more "buying power" to take vacations than any other nation on earth. That's why you see tons more Americans than, say, French, somewhere like Florence. The U.S. is five times the size, and has 40% higher median income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,742 posts, read 8,305,781 times
Reputation: 5796
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The lying is done by the right wing blabbing on and on about "American Exceptionalism". Look it up.
The only one blabbing on is you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2014, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
2,959 posts, read 3,819,814 times
Reputation: 3281
This thread has passed its expiration date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top