U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 12:13 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,299,778 times

Advertisements

I love going abroad and experiencing other cultures, but there is so much to see in the US. I've put my international trips on hold for the next year or two because I'm focusing on seeing places in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:46 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,635,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I love going abroad and experiencing other cultures, but there is so much to see in the US. I've put my international trips on hold for the next year or two because I'm focusing on seeing places in the US.
I tend to travel abroad now since I can easily travel in US when I am older and cannot endure a long flight.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:26 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,663,351 times
We never had the time growing up to leave the country for vacations.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:28 PM

2,696 posts, read 986,928 times
YO! The OP asked years ago why don't "Americans" as a whole travel or seem interested in travelling abroad? Particularly when compared to Europeans, Aussies, and Kiwis. Not for the personal reasons for every single one of you.

This thread should never have reached this many pages (49...really??!!). The answer can be summed up in a couple sentences. It's called there's a big ****ing ocean in between our continent and the rest of the world, and getting to other continents is very expensive for most Americans. Americans don't travel less for lack of curiosity. Ask anyone and they almost certainly would love to travel more. They're not disinterested like the OP seems to imply.

Europeans, by contrast, can travel all over Europe, visiting many different countries for very cheap. They also on average get much more paid vacation time than the average American, and thus they have more time to travel. Low cost + more time =......more travel!

The OP also mentioned how Aussies and Kiwis are often more well-travelled than Americans...well guess what? They have a minimum annual paid leave of 4 weeks. As in, they have more...TIME. It's very simple -- Cost and time are the biggest factors in determining the ability to enjoy any leisurely pursuit (but especially for travel), and Americans on average have a disadvantage in both.

Done, that's it. No more words need to be wasted. I'm sure other posters in this thread history have said the exact same thing, but this just had to get revived again.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:35 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
for me, i worry about all the terrorism especially in Europe right now. also don't care about European history but much of the tourism stuff is centered on that

Old 10-04-2016, 05:37 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,161,493 times
I have traveled over sees many times but I have family in the military so it has been easier for me. Traveling over sees is pretty expensive.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:29 AM

285 posts, read 141,618 times
1. The mistaken belief that Americans are hated all over the world.

2. The mistaken belief that international travel has to be ridiculously expensive.

3. Ignorance/apathy about anything outside of the U.S.

4. Paranoia about safety. Everyone is out to get you! This is heavily reinforced by the media.

5. Pathetic amount of vacation time being the norm.

6. Low pay and lack of job security being the norm.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:33 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,139,636 times
It's kind of a hassle (long flights, have to get passport, often much more expensive, sometimes involves other languages, etc.)

Old 06-27-2017, 12:06 PM

78,603 posts, read 70,482,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
-As other posters mentioned the work culture in the U.S. is much different than in most of Europe.

-The cost of traveling to Europe and many places overseas is not cheap.

-A lot of people who can afford it do travel. Personally I've been to the Netherlands and U.K. and have many friends who either vactioned or studied abroad.
The cost of travel to many parts of the developing world IS cheap. For some people, it's simply a matter of priorities. They'd rather spend more money on a car, or a new TV, or whatever, not realizing that money could have got them a great international vacation. Then they claim they can't afford international travel. They're wrong.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:03 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
YO! The OP asked years ago why don't "Americans" as a whole travel or seem interested in travelling abroad? Particularly when compared to Europeans, Aussies, and Kiwis. Not for the personal reasons for every single one of you.

This thread should never have reached this many pages (49...really??!!). The answer can be summed up in a couple sentences. It's called there's a big ****ing ocean in between our continent and the rest of the world, and getting to other continents is very expensive for most Americans. Americans don't travel less for lack of curiosity. Ask anyone and they almost certainly would love to travel more. They're not disinterested like the OP seems to imply.

Europeans, by contrast, can travel all over Europe, visiting many different countries for very cheap. They also on average get much more paid vacation time than the average American, and thus they have more time to travel. Low cost + more time =......more travel!

The OP also mentioned how Aussies and Kiwis are often more well-travelled than Americans...well guess what? They have a minimum annual paid leave of 4 weeks. As in, they have more...TIME. It's very simple -- Cost and time are the biggest factors in determining the ability to enjoy any leisurely pursuit (but especially for travel), and Americans on average have a disadvantage in both.

Done, that's it. No more words need to be wasted. I'm sure other posters in this thread history have said the exact same thing, but this just had to get revived again.
Emphatically this.

Furthermore, the United States alone is only slightly smaller than Europe, including Russia west of the Ural Mountains. The U.S. has 50 states covering 3,700,000 square miles, and Europe has 50 countries/sovereign territories covering 3,900,000 square miles. Traveling to a different country in Europe is like traveling to a different state in the U.S. Pick a point in Europe and travel 300 miles in any given direction. Unless you're in Russia, you'll probably cross an international border. Now pick a point in the U.S. and travel 300 miles in any given direction. Unless you're in New England, there's no guarantee that you'll even cross a state line. And even with McDonald's and other national store and restaurant chains near highway interchanges, there's still enough variation in American culture that you haven't experienced close to all of it until you've been to all 50 states. In other words, domestic travel in the U.S. is not only less expensive and less time-consuming, but it's also interesting enough that people can get their fill without ever leaving the U.S. if they choose not to. And even chain stores and restaurants can be unique. There's no Zaxby's in Oregon. There's no In-N-Out Burger in Michigan.

By the way, passports alone will set a family of five back almost $700, and if a family of five from St. Louis wanted to spend a week in Paris, the cheapest flight itinerary I could find from STL to CDG is $2,300. So that's already $3,000 spent before you even pass through French customs. It doesn't even include the cost of food, lodging, destinations, entertainment, souvenirs, or essentials during the stay. The European vacations they give away on The Price Is Right are all $10,000+ with luxury accommodations for two. Budget accommodations for five probably run about the same amount. The median household income in the U.S. is a little more than $50,000, so you'll have to pardon the average American family for not wanting to blow almost 20% of their annual income on one vacation. For most families, international travel is a once-in-a-decade endeavor at best. Loading up the minivan and renting a room at a cheap motel near the beach for a week is much less expensive and much less complicated.

For what it's worth, I've traveled internationally myself. I've been to Canada, Taiwan, Vietnam and Hong Kong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or