U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 09:44 AM

35 posts, read 18,021 times

Advertisements

Let's not forget that traveling is a luxury that most Americans don't have.

It's nice to brag about all the places you've been on Facebook or Instagram, but the vast majority of people simply don't have money to travel. Period. Especially now.

42 countries by 25? Must be nice.

Let's not forget the financial situation most Americans are in. How many of us would live someplace else if we could afford it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 09:53 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,513,096 times
I don't get the notion that there is a lot in our own country to see. I always travel internationally. While I haven't seen a lot of America, I have been to every region and have been to a good portion of the big cities. Also, the way I travel, going through America would just be boring. I don't know, I'm an American that has lived all over the world.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:54 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,513,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheForest View Post
Because when I drive from NY to FL I pass through six states (PA, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA).

In Europe those would be considered countries.

European countries are similar in size to US states. We have more varied geography here in the US.

Simply put, there is far more to keep us busy in our own country. It's not so much because there is lack of interest.
That is no replacement for 6 European countries. Yes you can find things to do there, but it is not going to be similar at all.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:04 AM

1,258 posts, read 697,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheForest View Post
Because when I drive from NY to FL I pass through six states (PA, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA).

In Europe those would be considered countries.

European countries are similar in size to US states. We have more varied geography here in the US.

Simply put, there is far more to keep us busy in our own country. It's not so much because there is lack of interest.
Size is irrelevant IMO. Those 6 European countries will be vastly more diverse (culture, history, architecture, food etc) than those 6 states you mentioned. The geographical variations are more east <-> west coast of the US than up and down the coasts.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:05 AM

686 posts, read 399,805 times
There is so much to see in the U.S. that many Americans don't feel the need to travel internationally. Sheer size has a lot to do with it. In college I dated a girl who was from Malta. Her entire country is about twice the size of Washington, DC. So I didn't bat an eye when she said she took lots of international vacations because her country can be seen in its entirety in a few days.

Let's also not forget that it is expensive as hell to travel internationally, and many Americans don't see it as a priority when they have things like mortgage, car note, food, etc. to buy. Why spend several thousand dollars taking the family to Europe when you can hop in the car and drive somewhere you've never been for far cheaper?

I've been to Italy, Switzerland, Malta, and Germany, and they were ALL amazing, beautiful places with amazing people. Next up is the U.K., and some day I want to see Tokyo. But I don't have a burning desire to travel so far right away because my own country is several thousand miles wide, and there is still plenty of it that I haven't seen.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:06 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,661,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I don't get the notion that there is a lot in our own country to see. I always travel internationally. While I haven't seen a lot of America, I have been to every region and have been to a good portion of the big cities. Also, the way I travel, going through America would just be boring. I don't know, I'm an American that has lived all over the world.
I've traveled a fair amount in the US, mostly to cities with the idea of getting to know them better. They all have pluses and minuses and interesting aspects. I'm often jealous of what they have.

But in terms of being interesting, impressive, and urban, the world has countless cities I'd rank higher than all but the best of the US. Minneapolis and Pittsburgh are nice cities, but compared to Barcelona or Hong Kong, or Vancouver for that matter? Or a London outer commuter town like Tunbridge Wells vs. any commuter town in the US?

Old 07-01-2017, 02:14 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,634,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I've traveled a fair amount in the US, mostly to cities with the idea of getting to know them better. They all have pluses and minuses and interesting aspects. I'm often jealous of what they have.

But in terms of being interesting, impressive, and urban, the world has countless cities I'd rank higher than all but the best of the US. Minneapolis and Pittsburgh are nice cities, but compared to Barcelona or Hong Kong, or Vancouver for that matter? Or a London outer commuter town like Tunbridge Wells vs. any commuter town in the US?
The point is Europeans brag that they travel more to other countries but those countries are so convenient and close to them, especially since they can do it by train or car. It is very difficult for American to go another country. NY to Toronto is 8 hr by car. You can drive from Paris though Belgium, Netherlands, to Germany within 8 hr.

LA is Tijuana, Mexico is 3 hr but American has no desire visiting such place, me included.

This is from Japan:

In 2016, 1,422,032 European and 1,202,702 American visit Japan. 253,445 are from France.

USA population is 4.8x France.

USA visitor to Japan is 4.75x France visitor.

Not that much diffiferent if the destination is far and inconvenient.

Last edited by Nn2036; 07-01-2017 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post

Of course you're bored. You're an American that has lived all over the world. You are not the majority.

Not sure what the confusion is about, or why traveling is a luxury bears repeating.

Too many of you live in a very privileged bubble.

As much as I would love to rag on the Trump supporters that probably highlight those that don't travel, it's still very financially hard to travel, coupled with the fact that there are 50 states in our own country to keep most of us busy.

We have the most varied geography of any country in the world and we don't have the luxury of neighboring states to suddenly turn into countries, which is something Europe has.

It's really not that difficult to understand.

The difference in New York and Los Angeles is boring? They're two totally different cities on opposite sides of the country. What other countries have that?

It's not like I have zero interest in traveling overseas. It's just very hard to find the time and the money. I have been to Europe.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:51 PM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
I love to travel and have done a lot of it in my lifetime, and I've also had the opportunity to live in both Japan and Germany. I'm very glad for those opportunities and this American makes travel a priority. In the past six years of so, I've had the pleasure of visiting Germany, Belgium, France, Austria, Luxembourg, and the UK. Some of those were repeat trips and some were for the first time. And I enjoyed every minute of those trips.

That being said, a few years ago I realized that there is a whole heckuva lot of the US that I haven't seen - and it was high time to do that. So I've visited far flung places - Minnesota, Maine, Oregon, Massachusetts - places like that. And WOW what a fantastic country we have!

By the way, everywhere I went - domestically and internationally - I not only ran into Americans, I often ran into Texan Americans. Yee haw! Ironically, it seemed like I heard more Texas twangs in the UK than I did in Maine but oh well!

Old 07-01-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
The point is Europeans brag that they travel more to other countries but those countries are so convenient and close to them, especially since they can do it by train or car. It is very difficult for American to go another country. NY to Toronto is 8 hr by car. You can drive from Paris though Belgium, Netherlands, to Germany within 8 hr.

LA is Tijuana, Mexico is 3 hr but American has no desire visiting such place, me included.

This is from Japan:

In 2016, 1,422,032 European and 1,202,702 American visit Japan. 253,445 are from France.

USA population is 4.8x France.

USA visitor to Japan is 4.75x France visitor.

Not that much diffiferent if the destination is far and inconvenient.

Yeah, I have no idea what's so hard to understand about why most Americans don't travel overseas.

1) Money.

2) 50 states with their own cities, attractions and geography mostly.

3) Money.

4) We border two countries.

5) Money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or