U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 11:06 AM

8,031 posts, read 16,090,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Also a lot of European travel isnít about cultural curiosity. You canít Ski in Belgium, Brits retire to Spain or Greece for the Weather not for the cultural immersion,
Even if that's true (I'm not entirely sure it is - at least I haven't seen anything that would back that point up), exposure to different cultures provides is a positive and provides valuable perspective regardless of whether the exposure is intended or not. Brits retiring to Spain or Greece for the weather still get a hell of a lot more exposure to different cultures and lifestyles than a New Yorker retiring to Boca.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 11:20 AM

1,565 posts, read 726,103 times
Yep. It's vacation time for me. I don't even need to spend a long time overseas - a week would be great - but I'm pretty young and haven't been at a single job long enough to build up a lot of vacation days.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:59 PM

9,401 posts, read 9,563,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Even if that's true (I'm not entirely sure it is - at least I haven't seen anything that would back that point up), exposure to different cultures provides is a positive and provides valuable perspective regardless of whether the exposure is intended or not. Brits retiring to Spain or Greece for the weather still get a hell of a lot more exposure to different cultures and lifestyles than a New Yorker retiring to Boca.
I know the Spanish Complain about British Expat communities that are insular and take over their towns and refuse to learn Spanish etc.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:11 PM

2,293 posts, read 1,300,726 times
Besides Canada and Mexico, I have made one overseas trip-Australia.

Unless you make quite a bit more money than me, I think you have to have a particular strong desire to visit someplace overseas.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 03-18-2019 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 07:59 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,461,629 times
Disclaimer: I am sure that this has been mentioned many times on this thread.

We have a family of five and none of our children are old enough to be left alone and there is no one to leave them with. The airfare alone would completely deplete our savings, and we have not even begun on hotels and sight seeing. Perhaps when the children grow up and we retire. Right now, the expense is WAY out of our budget.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:23 PM

There was a thread about traveling overseas with small children. I started to read through it and thought-forget it, take the kids to Disneyland.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:32 PM

I understand that people in other countries think all Americans are rich. Perhaps the expense of crossing oceans is part of the explanation-this filters out lower income Americans, so they aren't much seen. (Unless they join the military).

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 03-18-2019 at 08:54 PM..

Old 03-19-2019, 06:50 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,449,175 times
Yeah, and watch those other folks' jaws drop when they see how much Americans pay for student loans, medical bills, property taxes, etc. That can easily amount to thousands of dollars a month.

In some ways, it's actually cheaper for people living abroad to visit the US than vice-versa. Take a look at Disney World - thousands upon thousands of Brazilians can be found there at any given time. I guarantee you the average Brazilian doesn't have more disposable income than the average American, but they get some schweeeet travel packages, plus they can purchase goods (especially clothing items) in the US which actually cost less than it would back in Brazil.

But I really think that the biggest reason why Americans don't travel abroad isn't necessarily finances or time (of course they're legitimate factors), but rather cultural. Many Americans are perfectly satisfied to travel within their own country, or even state or region. It's a large country and one would have to spend many lifetimes to see the entirety of what it has to offer. Also, Americans generally aren't fond of traveling together in large groups like said Brazilians. They much prefer smaller groups (almost universally limited to friends and/or family), even though traveling in a group of 25 would cost hundreds - if not thousands - less than if they were traveling in a group of 5.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
There was a thread about traveling overseas with small children. I started to read through it and thought-forget it, take the kids to Disneyland.
I know Disneyland =/= Disneyworld, but you can almost certainly take a family of 4 to Europe (and stay in reasonably decent accommodations) for less than the cost of a Disney trip. The airfare to Disney may be cheaper, but everything almost everything else is more expensive. I travel internationally regularly both for work and leisure and I'm floored at how much people pay for Disney vacations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I understand that people in other countries think all Americans are rich. Perhaps the expense of crossing oceans is part of the explanation-this filters out lower income Americans, so they aren't much seen. (Unless they join the military).
I think this contributes to a ton of international stereotypes. I had a coworker at a former job who thought the English were all prim, proper, and super smart. Why? Because our company had London and Boston offices so her exposure to the English was almost entirely senior executive level, highly educated people. There are plenty of English like that, but it's not really an accurate representation of the population as a whole. I've seen a lot of stereotypes about Chinese or Indians with regard to education, work ethic, materialism, etc. that is not at all an accurate window into what the average Chinese or Indian person lives like.

It definitely applies to Americans too. In the touristy areas (think: popular Caribbean spots, London, Paris, etc.), Americans are categorized as both wealthy an obnoxious. I've seen Americans that epitomize those stereotypes to a T, but they're obviously not an accurate representation of America as a whole. In poorer areas (in my experience, much of Africa, rural India, off the tourist track in Central/South America, etc.), the dominate assumption of Americans is that they're rich. And relatively speaking, they're not wrong. Even what we would consider to be "poor" Americans have access to more resources, opportunities, and supports than the average person in many of the poorer countries around the world. A homeless guy collecting change on the street can easily pull in more money in a single day than an employed laborer in many parts of the world. So they're not wrong, although we don't all have it as easy as they might think we do.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
In some ways, it's actually cheaper for people living abroad to visit the US than vice-versa. Take a look at Disney World - thousands upon thousands of Brazilians can be found there at any given time. I guarantee you the average Brazilian doesn't have more disposable income than the average American, but they get some schweeeet travel packages, plus they can purchase goods (especially clothing items) in the US which actually cost less than it would back in Brazil..
Eh, Brazil's a bad example. Brazil is a top 10 world economy (higher than Canada) and is the 6th most populous country in the world. So there's a significant number of people that have the disposable income to travel abroad there - even if it's not as big a percentage of the overall population as we have here in America. It's not necessarily cheaper for them to visit the U.S. (most things like hotels, restaurants, food, non-luxury goods, etc. are much more expensive in the U.S. than Brazil), but there's a large enough portion of the population that can afford it to be visible here. Especially in Florida which has easy access via a wide variety of airlines with direct flights to Brazil.

Canada might actually make for a better example based on what you're talking about (though the current exchange rate does not favor Canada). Even though accommodations are cheaper in Canada, lower taxes here in the U.S. make it cheaper to buy goods like electronics, brand name clothing/luxury goods, etc. I went to college in Maine and there were bus trips from Canada to the mall in Portland and outlets in Kittery or in Conway, NH. But still, Canada is not a "poor" country by any stretch of the imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or