U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:34 AM

44,728 posts, read 36,145,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post

But I really think that the biggest reason why Americans don't travel abroad isn't necessarily finances or time (of course they're legitimate factors), but rather cultural. Many Americans are perfectly satisfied to travel within their own country, or even state or region. It's a large country and one would have to spend many lifetimes to see the entirety of what it has to offer. Also, Americans generally aren't fond of traveling together in large groups like said Brazilians. They much prefer smaller groups (almost universally limited to friends and/or family), even though traveling in a group of 25 would cost hundreds - if not thousands - less than if they were traveling in a group of 5.
Most Americans I know - in fact, every American I know - loves to travel. But like you said, we live in a HUGE country. I've traveled a lot domestically and internationally and there are still at least 15 or so states I've never even stepped foot into - for instance, I've never seen the Northwest and I want to!

Also, I totally agree about the traveling in large groups. NO, THANKS. I don't care how much money it saves - I can't stand traveling in tour groups. Give me my husband and a rental car and the freedom of the road, freedom to explore, etc. I much prefer traveling that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 01:22 PM

429 posts, read 175,364 times
Mostly because of accessibility reasons. it's a lot more expensive for the average American to travel overseas than it is for other countries. Passport ownership is increasing though, so its not as if Americans have no interest in traveling abroad or we think we're that much better than everyone else - its more about a matter of practicality.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Most Americans I know - in fact, every American I know - loves to travel. But like you said, we live in a HUGE country. I've traveled a lot domestically and internationally and there are still at least 15 or so states I've never even stepped foot into - for instance, I've never seen the Northwest and I want to!

Also, I totally agree about the traveling in large groups. NO, THANKS. I don't care how much money it saves - I can't stand traveling in tour groups. Give me my husband and a rental car and the freedom of the road, freedom to explore, etc. I much prefer traveling that way.
I agree completely! Buying one the better travel publications for the particular country you're visiting that specializes in listing of all the B&B's so you can actually pre-plan your stays in interesting places was our preferred method.

We toured the entire British Isles and Ireland by flying over there; renting a long term rental car to then take banked vacation weeks each year to drive to places tour buses never go...there's just no better way to "absorb" the uniqueness of another country. We duplicated this method to explore some of those countries of Europe that were not at the time USSR soviet satellites.

Upon retirement in '04' we decided we hadn't seen the entirety of the U.S. so indulged ourselves with a huge fiver and custom built International toter to tour the U.S. for 5 months of every year

Something that needs saying is the North American Continent has some of the world's most beautiful and greatest variety of scenery on the planet. Along with the absorption of foreign cultures you can get glimpses of, Americans can be excused for "crossing the pond" not being a priority if they've not yet seen every part of the continent they inhabit.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:09 PM

24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I know the Spanish Complain about British Expat communities that are insular and take over their towns and refuse to learn Spanish etc.
My cousin and her husband.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:37 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,295,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Mostly because of accessibility reasons. it's a lot more expensive for the average American to travel overseas than it is for other countries. Passport ownership is increasing though, so its not as if Americans have no interest in traveling abroad or we think we're that much better than everyone else - its more about a matter of practicality.
Yes. Lack of time, and lack of money.

We are fortunate that there is a lot to see and do in our own country.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:36 AM

1,229 posts, read 506,615 times
Im not gonna go through 55 pages to see if it has been said, but if the lower 48 states were independent nations Americans would be some of the best traveled people in the world. The sheer size and the fact we go coast to coast with the diversity within it is unlike any another country. If we were Mexico or Canada wed probably travel outside our country more. Both are beautiful countries, but you dont have warm beaches in Canada, or ski resorts in Mexico. I love history and have been to Europe many times, but theres not really a whole lot more Id like to see, a few places Id like to go back to though.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:23 PM

790 posts, read 1,051,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I know Disneyland =/= Disneyworld, but you can almost certainly take a family of 4 to Europe (and stay in reasonably decent accommodations) for less than the cost of a Disney trip. The airfare to Disney may be cheaper, but everything almost everything else is more expensive. I travel internationally regularly both for work and leisure and I'm floored at how much people pay for Disney vacations.
Flight prices vary to Europe based on your starting location in the US. It's a lot cheaper to fly from the East Coast than Midwest or West. So, for a lot of Americans, Disney really ends up being comparable to a European trip because you end up paying extra for that extra flight time.

However, I do agree w/you about Disney. It's super cheap to get to Orlando, but Disney is so expensive.

Last edited by JMT; 03-21-2019 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-20-2019, 04:37 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
As an American, I feel I am more well traveled than many of my European counterparts.

Many Europeans have travelled extensively through Europe and adjacent areas of Mediterranean Africa, certain Middle East locations, or the Canaries. This is really the equivalent of Americans who have travelled extensively in the US, Mexico, and Caribbean.

Staying at resorts in Costa Brava, Las Palmas, Dubai, and Mykonos does not make one more worldly that one whose travel destination are resticted to Orlando, Cancun, Bermuda, and Ocho Rios.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:12 AM

1,813 posts, read 3,423,541 times
Funny-- OP's one and only post on C-D was the OP on this thread back in 2012. To those who say we travel around the different states of the Union, it's a big country, lots to see right here at home, etc., I'd say yes but you're still in the United States with its unique set of privileges and distresses; you come across the same sprawling automobile-based highway development wherever you go, the same McDonalds and Applebees, the same high-rise downtowns surrounded by miles of low-rise housing developments... Landscapes vary a lot and cultures to an extent but there's no comparison to getting out of the US to any number of other countries with really different cultures, social structure, histories.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,295,361 times
In response to mission hill's comments...I think that some people are more home bodies than others. So domestic travel may be good enough for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or