U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 08:29 AM

56,766 posts, read 81,102,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
This is totally false IMO. Kids in elementary school tend to see everyone as the same, but as they age many start to self segregate. You can go to any high school in my area and you'll notice the blacks have mostly black friends, and the whites have mostly white friends, and these are kids that went to school with each other their entire lives.
It depends on where you are and the treatment of the kids. Meaning, as kids get older, they may see how expectations and structure in regards to particular students can cause a chasm in terms of interaction. So, if say my White friends are in AP classes, but a good portion of my Black friends are in a Regular track of classes, that can limit interaction within the educational framework of the school.

I also find it interesting that sports teams is where you tend to see more racial interaction, but even that depends on the sport or even the school. For instance, in my area, the Blackest high school has a Lacrosse team. While you do have a few Black players, the team is predominately White in a school that is 70% Black. On the other hand, in a suburban district I lived in, the football team is around 25-35% Black, but the school is about 10% Black. It wasn't uncommon to see Black and White kids hanging out together, playing pickup Basketball together and so on. So, certain social aspects can have an effect on how kids of different racial/ethnic backgrounds interact.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,248,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
So I am a kid who is currently about 20 and living in GA. I don't live in Atlanta or anything like that but I don't live in a hicktown either. The high school I went to was in an urban district and was about 92 percent Black, it was a small high school (about 300 kids) but all of the White people there stuck together.

When the local medical school would send people out, the people they sent out were White. Well a lot of the people they sent out would actively approach the White kids but ignore all of the Black and minority kids. I am a minority but not Black or Latino. Anyways my friends would notice it and tell it to me, it was sad really.

That was high school. Now this is college, I am a sophomore and this is my last semester here, transferring to UGA soon (OH BOY! good way and bad way).

The college I go to right now is a local 4 year university about 6 minutes or so from my house. A lot of the kids who come here come from the better suburban schools and yes, nearly all of them are White.

Here is what I have noticed:

1. Majority of them ONLY hang out with other Whites, if you try to hang out with them or make friends with them, you get shot down really quick.
2. A lot of them do say racist things (black jokes, etc.) behind people's back and stuff.
3. Most will try to use you, play it off as being friendly and stuff, and then after you have helped them, they will pretend like they don't even know who you are.

Basically. A lot of those suburban kids are the ones with access to the parties and stuff in this boring town, if you do not know them, you are pretty much screwed. Just that, after high school, I have had eye opening experiences with race relations.

I was wondering, is it just the deep south or is it this bad in california, new york, etc. Since you guys live in other states and seem well traveled, maybe you can tell me why.

And I do realize all people of all races can be racist. Thing is, America is a mostly White country sooooo a lot of the people I run into will be White.

As a minority myself who has managed to make some White friends, I also wonder how accepting other areas would be of me dating a White female. I know down here people are really against it.
i think you're confusing several different issues , of race, class, geography, and how people treat one another. i can't write a post that would fully disentangle it for you, but best of luck straightening it out.

long story short -- white fraternity / sorority types in the south fit the bill of: (1) (2) and (3).

Anyone, from anywhere, of any race, is liable to be like #3; this is probably correlated by wealth, but has nothing to do with geography or race.

#2 happens everywhere, but mostly among wealthier white people, who are not liberal, who grew up in areas with a sizeable black minority.

#1 is something that happens all over the world; all races exclude others.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:42 AM

958 posts, read 924,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
This is totally false IMO. Kids in elementary school tend to see everyone as the same, but as they age many start to self segregate. You can go to any high school in my area and you'll notice the blacks have mostly black friends, and the whites have mostly white friends, and these are kids that went to school with each other their entire lives.
This may be "totally false IMO" where you're from but it isn't here so don't speak about an area that you don't know.

Unlike people in the West Coast, the South, or parts of the Midwest, we aren't predominantly dominated by well-off white people over here. The majority of our white people have ancestors who were in fact discriminated against and don't come from old money. We're separated by class, not race, and I myself, a white kid, have been the subject of classism many times in my life because I don't come from money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
That's true, and very sad, IMO. Also, very telling -- race IS a huge problem in this country!
No, it really, really isn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Things might be different now, but I can remember it being like that when I was in elementary school. But then in middle school, the self-segregating began.
Where you live... in the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
That is true.
No, it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
That certainly still happens everywhere, but at the same time, having exposure to people of different ethnic/racial backgrounds from childhood on makes it more likely that they'll end up being open to race later in life.
No, it does not certainly happen everywhere.

Please stop speaking about places you know nothing about based on how things are where you're from.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 AM

5,637 posts, read 4,231,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
georgia is the least integrated state, it's overwhelming majority black. georgia is probably about 90% black overall. other states are a little more diverse.
Have you ever been to Georgia??? There are more cities in Ga than just Atlanta you know! Georgia is NOT overwhelming majority black, in fact it is majority white.. but not overwhelmingly.. more like 70% white. Stop making stuff up..

Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM

3,080 posts, read 5,458,303 times
Quote:
if you try to hang out with them or make friends with them, you get shot down really quick.

Most will try to use you, play it off as being friendly and stuff, and then after you have helped them, they will pretend like they don't even know who you are.

Basically. A lot of those suburban kids are the ones with access to the parties and stuff in this boring town, if you do not know them, you are pretty much screwed
I took out the references to race in these lines from the OP on purpose.

I am not saying that these kids aren't racist, because I have no idea. They very well could be.

But these behaviors are things that kids do to each other, regardless of race. I went to a mostly white school, and these things... are the kind of crap that high school (and some college) kids do. If they don't think that being friends with you is going to make them more popular or whatever, they will blow you off. Thankfully, some of them will grow out of it eventually. But not all.

Again, I'm not saying that they aren't racists. There could be a racist element to the behavior. But I am white, and other white kids did the same things to me in high school if they didn't think I was "cool" enough. It's typical high school B.S.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:06 PM

7,446 posts, read 10,091,507 times
Quote:
my area has more blacks than whites in it
From the clues you have given (medical college, majority black school, not too large) would say you are in Augusta, GA, currently go to Augusta State and the white suburban kids are from families that have moved from Augusta/Richmond County schools to Columbia County Schools. Augusta Richmond County might have a slight black majority population now but would say the schools are much more black than the city itself.

Not all suburban kids are as shallow as you make them out to be. Sounds like the kind of popular, upper middle class cliques that are not relegated to just the state of Georgia. Look at teen movies from any of the past decades and you will see representatives of the type of student you are describing... from Breakfast Club to Mean Girls to Napolean Dynamite.

Your experience should change when you get to UGA, but it is still an overwhelming white school.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,320,224 times
No way in hell, the south is a completely different animal. Definitely the worst.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM

7,022 posts, read 6,002,203 times
Quote:
Here is what I have noticed:

1. Majority of them ONLY hang out with other Whites, if you try to hang out with them or make friends with them, you get shot down really quick.
2. A lot of them do say racist things (black jokes, etc.) behind people's back and stuff.
3. Most will try to use you, play it off as being friendly and stuff, and then after you have helped them, they will pretend like they don't even know who you are.
I've seen this kind of high school behavior across all racial groups. Most people eventually grow out of it.

Your question could be reversed-
do you think blacks in Atlanta are representative of blacks across the US?

The answer is No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or