U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 AM
 
125 posts, read 218,643 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

So I am a kid who is currently about 20 and living in GA. I don't live in Atlanta or anything like that but I don't live in a hicktown either. The high school I went to was in an urban district and was about 92 percent Black, it was a small high school (about 300 kids) but all of the White people there stuck together.

When the local medical school would send people out, the people they sent out were White. Well a lot of the people they sent out would actively approach the White kids but ignore all of the Black and minority kids. I am a minority but not Black or Latino. Anyways my friends would notice it and tell it to me, it was sad really.

That was high school. Now this is college, I am a sophomore and this is my last semester here, transferring to UGA soon (OH BOY! good way and bad way).

The college I go to right now is a local 4 year university about 6 minutes or so from my house. A lot of the kids who come here come from the better suburban schools and yes, nearly all of them are White.

Here is what I have noticed:

1. Majority of them ONLY hang out with other Whites, if you try to hang out with them or make friends with them, you get shot down really quick.
2. A lot of them do say racist things (black jokes, etc.) behind people's back and stuff.
3. Most will try to use you, play it off as being friendly and stuff, and then after you have helped them, they will pretend like they don't even know who you are.

Basically. A lot of those suburban kids are the ones with access to the parties and stuff in this boring town, if you do not know them, you are pretty much screwed. Just that, after high school, I have had eye opening experiences with race relations.

I was wondering, is it just the deep south or is it this bad in california, new york, etc. Since you guys live in other states and seem well traveled, maybe you can tell me why.

And I do realize all people of all races can be racist. Thing is, America is a mostly White country sooooo a lot of the people I run into will be White.

As a minority myself who has managed to make some White friends, I also wonder how accepting other areas would be of me dating a White female. I know down here people are really against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,199 posts, read 10,416,173 times
Reputation: 11214
For the most part, yes, although things do vary by region. On the West Coast, people are more liberal and white folks are more willing to go out of their way to have friends of other races. In the Northeast, people tend to stay in their groups, but those groups are not always racial (i.e. lawyers hanging with lawyers, etc). In Middle America (including the south) is where you find more people clinging to the "old ways" and stereotypes, but it still varies from person to person.

As far as interracial dating, yeah you might get some attitude, especially when it's a white woman. But who cares, if she doesn't? You don't live your life for the approval of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 10:02 AM
 
125 posts, read 218,643 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
For the most part, yes, although things do vary by region. On the West Coast, people are more liberal and white folks are more willing to go out of their way to have friends of other races. In the Northeast, people tend to stay in their groups, but those groups are not always racial (i.e. lawyers hanging with lawyers, etc). In Middle America (including the south) is where you find more people clinging to the "old ways" and stereotypes, but it still varies from person to person.

As far as interracial dating, yeah you might get some attitude, especially when it's a white woman. But who cares, if she doesn't? You don't live your life for the approval of others.
will I get that attitude in California or NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 AM
 
605 posts, read 1,235,386 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
So I am a kid who is currently about 20 and living in GA. I don't live in Atlanta or anything like that but I don't live in a hicktown either. The high school I went to was in an urban district and was about 92 percent Black, it was a small high school (about 300 kids) but all of the White people there stuck together.

When the local medical school would send people out, the people they sent out were White. Well a lot of the people they sent out would actively approach the White kids but ignore all of the Black and minority kids. I am a minority but not Black or Latino. Anyways my friends would notice it and tell it to me, it was sad really.

That was high school. Now this is college, I am a sophomore and this is my last semester here, transferring to UGA soon (OH BOY! good way and bad way).

The college I go to right now is a local 4 year university about 6 minutes or so from my house. A lot of the kids who come here come from the better suburban schools and yes, nearly all of them are White.

Here is what I have noticed:

1. Majority of them ONLY hang out with other Whites, if you try to hang out with them or make friends with them, you get shot down really quick.
2. A lot of them do say racist things (black jokes, etc.) behind people's back and stuff.
3. Most will try to use you, play it off as being friendly and stuff, and then after you have helped them, they will pretend like they don't even know who you are.

Basically. A lot of those suburban kids are the ones with access to the parties and stuff in this boring town, if you do not know them, you are pretty much screwed. Just that, after high school, I have had eye opening experiences with race relations.

I was wondering, is it just the deep south or is it this bad in california, new york, etc. Since you guys live in other states and seem well traveled, maybe you can tell me why.

And I do realize all people of all races can be racist. Thing is, America is a mostly White country sooooo a lot of the people I run into will be White.

As a minority myself who has managed to make some White friends, I also wonder how accepting other areas would be of me dating a White female. I know down here people are really against it.

Personally I don't think the people you are talking about represent the vast majority of white people. BTW you stated that you are neither black or Hispanic? Whats your ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 02:44 PM
 
727 posts, read 1,067,272 times
Reputation: 351
Lived in Georgia My entire life and my best friend is black, I am white. Most friend groups where I am are diverse. Though I do live in atlanta. When you transfer to UGA there will be much more interacial relations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:30 PM
 
125 posts, read 218,643 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
Lived in Georgia My entire life and my best friend is black, I am white. Most friend groups where I am are diverse. Though I do live in atlanta. When you transfer to UGA there will be much more interacial relations.
are the relationships only among blacks and whites or are other races involved too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
will I get that attitude in California or NY?
Nope.

Interracial couples are super-common here, you see basically every mix you possibly can, and for the most part, people won't care - they're too caught up in their own lives to care about what someone they don't know and have nothing to do with is doing with theirs!

People here in CA do tend to socialize much, much more with people of other races and cultures than you see in many other areas on the US, at least that's been my experience. My social circle is composed of people from basically every race, many different ethnic groups and religions, and everyone's chill about it. Don't hear too many racist jokes behind anyone's back because they're just not racist.

At the very least, you should try out one of these cities briefly just to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,145 posts, read 23,656,611 times
Reputation: 11622
Given how large, populous, and diverse this country is, you can bet the short answer is no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 PM
 
605 posts, read 1,235,386 times
Reputation: 615
BTW 1 in 5 marriages in the western states are interracial according to the last census. I doubt you will have much of a problem in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 PM
 
727 posts, read 1,067,272 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
are the relationships only among blacks and whites or are other races involved too?
There is a large asian population here. As is a large mexican population. Mexican immigrants tend to hang out together but this is not always the case. The Asian population is very intigrated.

This is more for Atlanta tho. Most of Georgia is just white or black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top