U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:14 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,892,252 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite urban amenities in a city?

Some of mine are:

Natural food markets
gyms
airports
High end department stores
Private schools
Colleges
Community colleges
Costco or other warehouse stores
High rise hotels
Large coffee shops
Indian restaurants
Italian restaurants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 04:37 PM

398 posts, read 621,910 times
None of these to me seem like urban amenities? Amenities yes, but, not much urban about them except the high rise hotels.
Mine are,subway systems, trolleys, availability of studio style living, bike lanes, things open 24 hours that don't start with an W and end with a t, narrow walkable streets which seem never ending, urban canyons.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:30 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,207,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
None of these to me seem like urban amenities? Amenities yes, but, not much urban about them except the high rise hotels.
Mine are,subway systems, trolleys, availability of studio style living, bike lanes, things open 24 hours that don't start with an W and end with a t, narrow walkable streets which seem never ending, urban canyons.
Agreed. I absolutely need an extensive subway system. That rules out all but maybe four or five American cities.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:47 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,531,954 times
music,transit, coffee, food, walkability, nightlife, architecture, culture...just to name a few

Old 03-04-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Depends what you consider urban, suburban, etc...

Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Depends what you consider urban, suburban, etc...
Well as far as I know, there aren't skyscrapers, subway systems, very few bike lanes, very few 24 hour places, very few available studios, very few narrow walkable streets in the suburbs. But you can find great coffee shops, indian and italian restaurants, gyms, universities and "Costco/warehouse stores" in Anyburb, USA. There is no need to move to an urban environment if this is all you want.
I mean of course there are crappy suburbs with none of this, but also crappy cities. That is why I didn't consider them urban amenities, just amenities, that happen to be in an urban environment. Your thread prompt is ambiguous.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Every once in a while, if I know somebody who is going to a baseball game in a big city, I might ride along. Otherwise, I see no possibility that I will ever get out of a car in a big city again during my natural lifetime. It has absolutely no amenities that are of interest to me.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Well as far as I know, there aren't skyscrapers, subway systems, very few bike lanes, very few 24 hour places, very few available studios, very few narrow walkable streets in the suburbs. But you can find great coffee shops, indian and italian restaurants, gyms, universities and "Costco/warehouse stores" in Anyburb, USA. There is no need to move to an urban environment if this is all you want.
I mean of course there are crappy suburbs with none of this, but also crappy cities. That is why I didn't consider them urban amenities, just amenities, that happen to be in an urban environment. Your thread prompt is ambiguous.
Yes colleges and Costcos and gyms can all be in suburbs and suburban areas too.

Fav urban amenities would be then:
-high rise hotels
-playhouses
-courthouses

All though I can not live in a city that is not a population center these days, so I need:
-Costco
-Natural Food Market like Trader Joes, or Whole Foods similar store
-Dep. Store like Macy's, Nordstrom's, Bloomingdale's, or Dillards that sell designer clothing
-Airport
-Train Station
-Library
-Hotels
-playhouses
-courthouses
-community college
-four year college
-many different restaurants
-many different churches
-many different types of homes (modern, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s)
-many different stores
-many car dealerships
-many different types of bars
-private school w/ k-12
-high school with a performing arts center gym, cafeteria, most sport complexes, library, computer labs, and an ag building
-post office
-several mental health programs like Allanal and sev. drug and alcohol programs
-large homeless shelter
-bowling alley
-movie theater

I can live without a sports stadium and amusement park. Only the largest cities in California have those like Los Angeles, Long Beach, Oakland, San Francisco, Anaheim, San Jose, San Diego, and Sacramento.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 PM

I understand now. Those things are nice to have, and yes a certain threshold of people generally comes with having to have these things... I played a lot of Sim City so I should know

Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I understand now. Those things are nice to have, and yes a certain threshold of people generally comes with having to have these things... I played a lot of Sim City so I should know
Or at least be a 40 or 30 min commute from the population centers that have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or