Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,227 times

Advertisements

Hello, greetings from Germany! Two of my friends and I are planning a trip to the US and Canada this summer. So far, this is what we have planned:

Washington: 2 days
Philadelphia: 3 days
New York: 1 week (I have a relative here that we can stay with for free, which is why we are spending so much time here.)
Boston: 3 days
Burlington: 1 day (En route to Montreal via bus. Flights between Boston and Montreal are much more expensive.)
Montreal: 3 days
Toronto: 3 days
Niagara Falls/Buffalo: 1 day (It's much cheaper to fly to Chicago from Buffalo than Toronto.)
Chicago: 3 days
Madison: 5 days (A best friend of ours from here in Munich is doing his graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin, which is why we are spending so much time there.)
Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/Sedona, Arizona: 4 days
Los Angeles/San Diego: 4 days
San Francisco: 4 days

Questions:

Do you guys think we allocating the right amount of time per location? Also, are there any other places that are within reasonable distance of any of the above locations that we should add to our trip?

We were also thinking about either adding Vancouver or New Orleans. As they are both far out of the way and require an additional flight, there is no way we can fit all three into our budgets. If we can manage to fit one into our budget, which would you suggest?

We will mostly be traveling by bus/plane, but we would like to drive between Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, LA, San Diego, and San Francisco due to all of the scenery we would like to explore. We will all be 23 years old. Will that make it difficult to rent a car? How much per day would that likely cost?

Any other tips or suggestions that you have are welcome.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Perhaps this area: VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS

Or this area: Finger Lakes Tourism

Or this area: Adirondacks

Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM

725 posts, read 1,278,850 times
You need to come South.

You could take megabus (chaep bus company where you can get fares for as low as $1 to atlanta, spend a day in atlanta. then rent a car for two days and check out Savanna and Charlston.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munichguy View Post
I would recommend taking one of your Montreal days and doing a side trip to Quebec City. It is about 250 km from Montreal.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
You need to come South.

You could take megabus (chaep bus company where you can get fares for as low as $1 to atlanta, spend a day in atlanta. then rent a car for two days and check out Savanna and Charlston.
Yea, Megabus is what I'm using for the majority of my travel. I used Megabus in the UK, and was pleasantly surprised to find out they also had service in the US and Canada!

If we do go South, it will be to New Orleans. Atlanta seems to be about 8 hours by bus, and Savannah and Charleston look to be about 5 hours total of driving from Atlanta. If we do go to New Orleans, would it be worth it to go to Atlanta, Savannah, and Charleston considering how far out of the way they area? I don't know anyone who has been to those three cities, so I know next to nothing about them.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps this area: [url=http://www.visit1000islands.com/visitorinfo/]VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS[/url]

Or this area: [url=http://fingerlakes.org/mobil/]Finger Lakes Tourism[/url]

Or this area: [url=http://m.adk.com/]Adirondacks[/url]
That looks nice! We do want to explore some of the natural beauty of North America. Since we are planning to fly out of Buffalo after visiting Niagara Falls, which scenic areas of New York State would be easiest to get to from Buffalo?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Quote:
Hello, greetings from Germany! Two of my friends and I are planning a trip to the US and Canada this summer. So far, this is what we have planned:

Washington: 2 days
Philadelphia: 3 days
New York: 1 week (I have a relative here that we can stay with for free, which is why we are spending so much time here.)
On your way from Philadelphia to NYC, consider stopping off at Princeton (and Princeton University) for half a day to look at the campus and maybe visit its art museum.

Quote:
Boston: 3 days
Burlington: 1 day (En route to Montreal via bus. Flights between Boston and Montreal are much more expensive.)
Toronto: 3 days
Niagara Falls/Buffalo: 1 day (It's much cheaper to fly to Chicago from Buffalo than Toronto.)
I like the idea, mentioned above, of taking a side trip to Quebec City, if you can swing it.

Buffalo has some very fetching architecture and a nice art museum (the Albright-Knox)

Quote:
Chicago: 3 days
Madison: 5 days (A best friend of ours from here in Munich is doing his graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin, which is why we are spending so much time there.)
I hope you plan to visit Milwaukee during your stay in Wisconsin. The city has a very important German heritage, and it's sometimes unfairly overlooked by people beelining between Madison and Chicago.

Quote:
Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/Sedona, Arizona: 4 days
Los Angeles/San Diego: 4 days
San Francisco: 4 days
If you can spend more time in the SF area, so much the better. Some good side trips include Berkeley, Palo Alto (Stanford U), Marin County, Napa Valley, Santa Cruz....

Quote:
Questions:

Do you guys think we allocating the right amount of time per location? Also, are there any other places that are within reasonable distance of any of the above locations that we should add to our trip?
The amount of time allocated is fine, as long as you don't think you'll burn out from passing quickly from place to place.

Quote:
We were also thinking about either adding Vancouver or New Orleans. As they are both far out of the way and require an additional flight, there is no way we can fit all three into our budgets. If we can manage to fit one into our budget, which would you suggest?
Vancouver is nice, but I would go more with New Orleans due to its history and overall unique character.

Quote:
We will mostly be traveling by bus/plane, but we would like to drive between Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, LA, San Diego, and San Francisco due to all of the scenery we would like to explore. We will all be 23 years old. Will that make it difficult to rent a car? How much per day would that likely cost?
You might check the websites of various car rental agencies, but I'm not sure if you would have to pay more on top of the listed price due to your age and national status.

In any case, on the drive between LA and SF, be sure to go up the Pacific Coast Highway and stop off at Big Sur and Carmel.

Quote:
Any other tips or suggestions that you have are welcome.

Thank You.
This trip is definitely The Grand Tour--sounds tiring but fun.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,846 times
Baltimore is a cool city. It's right on the way to Philadelphia from Washington, it would be a perfect place to spend a day in.

Joshua Tree National Park in California is amazing, I highly recommend seeing it if you can.

Between Vancouver and New Orleans, it really depends on what you're looking for. Vancouver has a spectacular natural setting, one of the most striking in the world. It's also a very nice city. New Orleans has great local cuisine, great jazz, and is an amazing place to party. It really depends on what type of city interests you more. Both are worth seeing, I can't really put one over the other.

Have fun on your trip, North America is a great place to explore!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 PM

725 posts, read 1,278,850 times
Quote:
Yea, Megabus is what I'm using for the majority of my travel. I used Megabus in the UK, and was pleasantly surprised to find out they also had service in the US and Canada!

If we do go South, it will be to New Orleans. Atlanta seems to be about 8 hours by bus, and Savannah and Charleston look to be about 5 hours total of driving from Atlanta. If we do go to New Orleans, would it be worth it to go to Atlanta, Savannah, and Charleston considering how far out of the way they area? I don't know anyone who has been to those three cities, so I know next to nothing about them.
It would be out if the way a bit. Megabus does provide service from Nola to Atlanta. If you can manage it I highly suggest you do come. If not Atleast do go to new Orleans, you do need to get some taste of the south and Nola is a great town.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
That looks nice! We do want to explore some of the natural beauty of North America. Since we are planning to fly out of Buffalo after visiting Niagara Falls, which scenic areas of New York State would be easiest to get to from Buffalo?
Out of those that I listed, the Finger Lakes Region is the closest area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.