U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of cities do you prefer. By Large bodies of water or not.
You prefer living by large body of water (Sea, Great Lakes, Ocean) 57 70.37%
You don't care for living by the water. 24 29.63%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2012, 05:36 PM

626 posts, read 1,026,731 times

Advertisements

It's all relative. I feel as though where I live, Charlotte, is close enough to a coast...3-4 hours. While it's not right on the coast, it's relatively easy to get to. Some feel that is too far though. I lived in Oklahoma city metro for a year or so, and I would sometimes miss the option of a weekend beach trip, or visiting friends at the beach. So I could see how someone from a coastal city that moved inland would feel the same way. If you grew up in an interior state, it's probably no big deal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:45 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,180,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I can go outside and look up in the huge sky and actually breathe and not have tons of people living right on top of me.
So can I and I don't have tons of people living around me either.

Quote:
I have zero desire to live by an ocean or the Great Lakes. It's way too expensive and there are too many effing people, just waiting to annoy the crap out of me. Plus, many areas are humid and don't have the weather I like (if I'm going to deal with humidity, I want to be in Tornado Alley).
It's cheap where I live... right next to Lake Michigan. And people are not waiting to annoy anyone. We don't even have a "Bug TheBeagleLady if she ever visits" club or anything. I doubt anyone, anywhere, is waiting to annoy you.

Quote:
I am glad that so many people are ignorant of how nice landlocked areas can be. It keeps the riffraff out.
And I am SOOO glad most people don't know how friendly, clean, low cost of living, and sweet it can be living so close to one of the Great Lakes... keeps the morons away.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:48 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,391,357 times
I couldn't care less if I'm near water or not, it's all about the city. Don't care about mountains either. I know a lot of people do obviously, just never meant anything to me.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,451,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You actually sound kind of envious or something, otherwise why would you use all the bolded terms? It is one thing to not understand, it is another to be hostile about other people and how they feel...
Perhaps a nice ocean breeze would make you more relaxed?
Nope, I'm not envious, hostile, nor do I need an ocean breeze. I'm quite relaxed and happy where I live. I chose to live here. I do think claustrophobia is way overused on this site. People might feel isolated or uncomfortable, but that's not claustrophobia. I'm glad people like where they live and I'm glad they want to stay by the coasts. I don't like population dense areas. Whether or not you have people on top of you, the coasts are more dense than where I live. I do think many people are ignorant about this area and spout BS, especially in this forum. When I see it, I will call people out on it.

Last edited by TheBeagleLady; 03-04-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post

It's cheap where I live... right next to Lake Michigan. And people are not waiting to annoy anyone. We don't even have a "Bug TheBeagleLady if she ever visits" club or anything. I doubt anyone, anywhere, is waiting to annoy you.

And I am SOOO glad most people don't know how friendly, clean, low cost of living, and sweet it can be living so close to one of the Great Lakes... keeps the morons away.
Awww...did I hit a nerve? LOL I'm sure there's no club of people waiting to annoy me, but they do anyway.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:56 PM

5,555 posts, read 6,990,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post

Not always. We have to deal with the morons from Chicagoland who seem to enjoy spending their weekends on the west coast of Michigan.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,583,215 times
Quote:
Awww...did I hit a nerve? LOL I'm sure there's no club of people waiting to annoy me, but they do anyway.
I think it was the exact opposite. YOU are the one who came in calling "BS" calling people "ignorant" calling people "riff raff" saying everybody is "just waiting to annoy you" Until you came into this thread everybody was fine. Can you please direct your negative energy elsewhere? I have seen your equally ANTI people, ANTI everything rants in other threads, it isn't necessary. Look lady, I don't know what nasty deck of cards life has handed you, but there is no reason to come in here with your foul language and negative attitude.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I think it was the exact opposite. YOU are the one who came in calling "BS" calling people "ignorant" calling people "riff raff" saying everybody is "just waiting to annoy you" Until you came into this thread everybody was fine. Can you please direct your negative energy elsewhere? I have seen your equally ANTI people, ANTI everything rants in other threads, it isn't necessary. Look lady, I don't know what nasty deck of cards life has handed you, but there is no reason to come in here with your foul language and negative attitude.
LMAO

Life has been good to me lately and I'm just fine. I'm not anti-everything and I'm actually not that negative. I was just stating my opinions. I wasn't aware everything on this forum had to be sunshine and roses, but if me using "BS" offends your sensibilities feel free to put me on ignore.

I have seen some negative posts directed at me and where I choose to live. I guess some people can dish it out but can't take it. Oh well.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,583,215 times
Quote:
LMAO

Life has been good to me lately and I'm just fine. I'm not anti-everything and I'm actually not that negative. I was just stating my opinions. I wasn't aware everything on this forum had to be sunshine and roses, but if me using "BS" offends your sensibilities feel free to put me on ignore.

I have seen some negative posts directed at me and where I choose to live. I guess some people can dish it out but can't take it. Oh well.
Nobody said anything to you, I don't want my thread getting closed b/c people come in with attacks on other choices or preferences. As I said, you are welcome to bring in another opinion, but it isn't necessary to say others are wrong and say things about people because of what they like. Instead next time, try saying why YOU like a certain place and explain the benefits you get of living in your chosen spot... not why other people are "riff raff" and "ignorant" for liking something else, or saying how they feel is BS. It will work muchhhh better. My sensibilities aren't offended, but I assume we are all adults here and should have a bit of civility.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Nobody said anything into you, I don't want my thread getting closed b/c people come in with attacks on other choices or preferences. As I said, you are welcome to bring in another opinion, but it isn't necessary to say others are wrong and attack what they like.
I've seen it in multiple threads, I just don't usually waste my time acknowledging it. I didn't attack anyone or what they like. I stated my reasons for what I like. I do think the use of the word claustrophobia is wrong, but people are welcome to feel how they feel.

Regardless, you are welcome to report my post and the mods can delete it if they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or