U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of cities do you prefer. By Large bodies of water or not.
You prefer living by large body of water (Sea, Great Lakes, Ocean) 57 70.37%
You don't care for living by the water. 24 29.63%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:38 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I've seen it in multiple threads, I just don't usually waste my time acknowledging it. I didn't attack anyone or what they like. I stated my reasons for what I like. I do think the use of the word claustrophobia is wrong, but people are welcome to feel how they feel.

Regardless, you are welcome to report my post and the mods can delete it if they want.
I don't feel the need to report anything, I'm just trying to keep the discussion going.

I agree, claustrophobia is a strong and has a specific meaning being a disease, perhaps another word choice like uncomfortable would be better. Some people experience this in the middle of winter with cabin fever, or in cities being close around people. I guess I experience it when I'm away from water.

Either way, I know what Lamplight is talking about, I didn't go into the situation having opinions on it, it is just something I felt when I was in certain places for too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,446,696 times
I did not call anyone ignorant for what they like. I said many people are ignorant of the area where I live and post things that aren't correct. I didn't say anyone was wrong for how they feel, I questioned the term they used to describe it. In case you missed the emoticon, the riffraff comment was a joke.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:44 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,185,453 times
I agree that claustrophobia is not the correct term. Maybe there is a special term just for this feeling some of us get? I really don't know. And for me, it seems to be only temporary. However. I don't think I'd want to live in a town that didn't at least have a river flowing through it. I just like water a lot.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I agree that claustrophobia is not the correct term. Maybe there is a special term just for this feeling some of us get? I really don't know. And for me, it seems to be only temporary. However. I don't think I'd want to live in a town that didn't at least have a river flowing through it. I just like water a lot.
There's nothing wrong with that. I have just seen SO many people use the same term and I don't get it. I don't care that much about water.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:24 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,353,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
But isn't that one of the reasons Texans often prefer Austin over Dallas or SA? The immediate access to even relatively small Lake Travis and the CO river?
I also thought Austin was farther from the coast, at least from say, Padre Island. I am not sure how traffic pans out there.
The view of mountains (esp rockies) is certainly compensation from being out on the plains with no water OR mountains.
Definitely. Proximity to water adds hugely to QOL and provides tons of recreational opportunities.

Yeah, Austin is 6+ hours from South Padre, but 3 or so from parts of the gulf coast such as Port Aransas, Mustang Island etc., although these areas are much-maligned by many on the west or east coasts, even though there are miles and miles of sparsely populated, beautiful beaches.

I'd love the relative solitude of locales that are uncongested AND coastal, but at this point I don't see the benefits that would accompany the huge increase in COL.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I did not call anyone ignorant for what they like. I said many people are ignorant of the area where I live and post things that aren't correct. I didn't say anyone was wrong for how they feel, I questioned the term they used to describe it. In case you missed the emoticon, the riffraff comment was a joke.
It's all good, I'm being hyper critical of you... We all have our days. I'm just in a good mood lately and want to keep the conversation upbeat.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It's all good, I'm being hyper critical of you... We all have our days. I'm just in a good mood lately and want to keep the conversation upbeat.
I'd hate to see you in a bad mood. LOL

Old 03-05-2012, 12:13 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,759,127 times
I'm not anti-water, but I'd take mountains & forest over the ocean any day. I could never see myself living right on the coast due to the fact that you normally pay a premium and I have some irrational anxiety about tsunamis, hurricanes, floods, etc. It would be nice to be within a day's drive of a nice lake or the coast though.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 AM

880 posts, read 1,734,491 times
It would be nice to live by water but I don't want to risk myself with the probable tornadoes, floods and hurricanes..I'm scared of natural catastrophes.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,893,975 times
I dont care for water, scenery, or for the most part seasons/weather. I prefer warm but dont care if the place gets cold. If the city is fantastic then to me its worth being in. Water is a good add in bonus but I am a very busy person, 16 hours of the day I am out doing something and dont have time to sit and watch sunsets. I prefer cities of my choice to be safe, wealthy, educated, fashion hotspots, good film scene, incredible high end shopping, fun nightlife, median age in the youth/young professional age, good music scene, diverse, plethora of fantastic restaurants, lots of trees, excellent airport with coverage around the country/world, good schools, at the least being a metro of 3.5 million minimum, having a team for MLS, NBA, NFL, and plenty of nice golf courses. Not saying my ideal cities have to include all of the above but they must have most of those options available.

In short I dont care for things that places cant control such as weather, scenery, being close to the water, etc. I care for things these places CAN control like crime, affluence, nightlife, fashion, shopping, diversity, food, trees, airport, schools, culture and all the other amenities a place can offer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or