U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of cities do you prefer. By Large bodies of water or not.
You prefer living by large body of water (Sea, Great Lakes, Ocean) 57 70.37%
You don't care for living by the water. 24 29.63%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:33 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,169,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Not always. We have to deal with the morons from Chicagoland who seem to enjoy spending their weekends on the west coast of Michigan.
Yeah, but few of them actually move here full-time. They just spread their brand of "sunshine" during the summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,169,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Awww...did I hit a nerve? LOL I'm sure there's no club of people waiting to annoy me, but they do anyway.
Nope didn't hit a nerve here.
just pointing out your perceptions are mostly false. Somehow I am sure most people annoy you they way you come across here.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,448,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Nope didn't hit a nerve here.
just pointing out your perceptions are mostly false. Somehow I am sure most people annoy you they way you come across here.
I didn't say anything about where you live, except for there being too many people for my taste. That's a fact. I posted the things I like about where I live. My perceptions are no more false than yours.

A lot of people do annnoy me, especially in this forum. I suspect that has a lot to do with the demographic and the fact that humor and sarcasm don't seem to be allowed here.

No matter.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,189,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I'm not anti-water, but I'd take mountains & forest over the ocean any day. I could never see myself living right on the coast due to the fact that you normally pay a premium and I have some irrational anxiety about tsunamis, hurricanes, floods, etc. It would be nice to be within a day's drive of a nice lake or the coast though.
I like water and mountains and forests. That's one reason I moved here.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,202,731 times
Definitely water. Cities like New York, SF, Toronto, Chicago etc that sit by large lakes, oceans etc are more my cup of tea and my preference for a city to live in. Cities like Denver, Atlanta, Las Vegas etc that don't sit by any large bodies of water...no thanks.

Exceptions: Pittsburgh and Minneapolis don't exactly sit on large bodies of water but have large rivers that pass through them. In the case for Minneapolis, not only does a large river pass through, but the city has various lakes as well. So these cities I can add to my "like" list for sure.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:44 PM

268 posts, read 345,471 times
I get really claustrophopic around too much land. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I live in Arizona and sometimes feel really panicky driving around, like no matter how far I go it's just never ending land.

The ocean is 6 hours away and I go as much as possible, though not nearly enough. I don't understand because it's not like you can go anywhere on water. Even if you have a boat, land offers much more mobility. Whatever the case the ocean makes me feel free.

Lakes and rivers are ok, but there's really no substitute for the ocean. I'm moving by one as soon as possible, hopefully within the next 2 years.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:25 AM

916 posts, read 821,562 times
I don't particularly care
unless the city has very nearby something that breaks the boreness of a flat scenery i.e. a tall mountain, a lake, a decent river etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or