U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,233,455 times
Reputation: 998

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I've been to Oklahoma and Texas. And they (North Texas and Oklahoma) are, in fact, very similar to many Great Plains cities. Driving through OKC reminded me a lot of driving through KC, Wichita, Tulsa, Omaha etc.. Dallas is just a mammoth version of a GP city. These states are similar in politics, culture, expression, city-styles, education attainment (although education attainment is higher in Kansas and places north). Now Austin, San Antonio, El Paso and Houston have less in common and they are excluded. I only consider the northern part of Texas which includes Dallas.

All I am doing is defining a region of cities that lie on a similar topography that have much in common. I'm not going to allow a sliver of southern atmosphere completely seperate OK and Dallas from the rest of the pack.
if topography alone is your argument then I could agree. but culturally linguistically and demographically ok and tx are not midwestern or like the other 4 states to the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2012, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,233,455 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is my point. The southern dialect is strong in Henry and St. Clair counties as well as much of the surrounding regional area. This is only 50-100 miles south of Kansas City. This is why Kansas City has significant southern influences very closeby.
that is not my experience nor do professional linguists agree. it is likely you are confusing south midland with south in terms of speech. other than barbecue, whichwas introduced to kc by henry perry of memphis almost a century ago, I dont see southern influence in kc. if there is, its no stronger than any other city in the lower midwest.henry and st clair have accents typical of the rural lower midwest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 11:15 AM
 
Location: IN
20,861 posts, read 35,992,597 times
Reputation: 13304
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
that is not my experience nor do professional linguists agree. it is likely you are confusing south midland with south in terms of speech. other than barbecue, whichwas introduced to kc by henry perry of memphis almost a century ago, I dont see southern influence in kc. if there is, its no stronger than any other city in the lower midwest.henry and st clair have accents typical of the rural lower midwest
That contradicts your prior post when you indicated that you did agree that Henry and St. Clair counties had southern dialects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,233,455 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That contradicts your prior post when you indicated that you did agree that Henry and St. Clair counties had southern dialects.
If it's contradictory, here's what is not...south midland is the dominant and native dialect in these two counties. That is the consensus of linguists and my observations coincide with it. I never deviated in this respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 06:18 PM
 
195 posts, read 560,297 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Interesting post, what do you consider frontier states? For those who claim Tx is southern, they need to get to know west texas including big bend country. Definately out west in Tx is what I consider to be frontier states.
I'd say the Rocky Mountain states like Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, and even say Washington State, Oregon, and California with the exception of the metropolises.

Those are the kind of wide open states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 10,148,967 times
Reputation: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
if topography alone is your argument then I could agree. but culturally linguistically and demographically ok and tx are not midwestern or like the other 4 states to the north.
We don't want Texas, and I'm almost positive Texas doesn't want us, or anyone for that matter (the "Lone Star State").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,233,455 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
We don't want Texas, and I'm almost positive Texas doesn't want us, or anyone for that matter (the "Lone Star State").
Most Texans from my experience welcome the idea of being labeled Southern, as do many Oklahomans. (TexasReb where are you?) Anybody who has ever been to Oklahoma or Texas should know that neither of these states should be included in the Midwest culturally, demographically, linguistically, or industrially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,102 posts, read 4,746,176 times
Reputation: 5379
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Most Texans from my experience welcome the idea of being labeled Southern, as do many Oklahomans. (TexasReb where are you?) Anybody who has ever been to Oklahoma or Texas should know that neither of these states should be included in the Midwest culturally, demographically, linguistically, or industrially.
I agree. OK and TX are southern in my book. Famously I consider them southern all the way to their western terminus. Some consider only the eastern bits southern. Some go further than myself and consider eastern NM southern as well!

But I call Texas and Oklahoma the "Frontier south". The third region. Some call it the western south.

Mountain south, Lowland south, Frontier south. Or alternatively, Upper south, Deep south, Frontier south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
Reputation: 36088
The Midwest is what is left over after Easterners, Southerners and Westerners lay claim to what they call themselves.

The west starts about a quarter of the way across Nebraska, Kansas and the Dakotas. The south starts at Kansas City, St. Louis and the hill country of Indiana and Ohio. The east starts right after Cleveland.

The only states that are entirely in the Midwest are Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 09:52 AM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,061,819 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Midwest is what is left over after Easterners, Southerners and Westerners lay claim to what they call themselves.

The east starts right after Cleveland.
I'm curious as to how you set this boundary...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top