U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 01:48 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,626,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Actually apart from accent they are quite similar. At least I never noted a difference. And I've been to all cities mentioned several times. Particularly Toledo.
How are they similar? I see a pretty big difference in the pace of life, demographics, way of dress, culture, etc, between the NY cities and the Ohio cities mentioned. The only similarity is that they are in the rust belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 11:23 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
How are they similar? I see a pretty big difference in the pace of life, demographics, way of dress, culture, etc, between the NY cities and the Ohio cities mentioned. The only similarity is that they are in the rust belt.
Thinking in terms of the grand scheme? They all feel equally northern.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
Quote:
yes but I wouldn't say culture, dialect and demographics have anything to do with being rust belt. The eastern cities in the rust belt such as Syracuse and Rochester have nothing in common with places like Toledo or Akron.
Not true at all. All are northern and in the Great Lakes region. The cities in the Great Lakes region tend to have more in common with each other than anywhere else. Topographically, i'd agree they are different, but culturally, demographically, and in terms of dialect, I wouldn't really say the cities you mention have significant differences. Not nearly to the degree Charleston does.

As far as being like Pittsburgh, in terms of appearance, maybe. But Charlestonians have a different mindset, dialect, attitude, and culture to them...they have more in common with residents of Eastern Kentucky and Southwest Virginia than with Pennsylvania or Ohio.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Not true at all. All are northern and in the Great Lakes region. The cities in the Great Lakes region tend to have more in common with each other than anywhere else. Topographically, i'd agree they are different, but culturally, demographically, and in terms of dialect, I wouldn't really say the cities you mention have significant differences. Not nearly to the degree Charleston does.

As far as being like Pittsburgh, in terms of appearance, maybe. But Charlestonians have a different mindset, dialect, attitude, and culture to them...they have more in common with residents of Eastern Kentucky and Southwest Virginia than with Pennsylvania or Ohio.
Again , what are these similarities? Having lived in Rochester and having worked all over Ohio, a person from my city has nothing in common with somebody from Akron or Toledo.
In a place like Rochester you see Italian influence all over the place. You see a Puerto Rican influence. These are big factors that make the demographics different. The pace of life is much more different. It is not NYC fast here, but much faster than the Ohio cities mentioned. People here dress more "guido" like with the tacky sunglasses indoors/fake tan look. The accent is different, the slang words are different. I am constantly being told to slow down my speech when I am in those areas. I have never been told that when traveling in the northeast.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM

347 posts, read 716,505 times
Quote:
Again , what are these similarities? Having lived in Rochester and having worked all over Ohio, a person from my city has nothing in common with somebody from Akron or Toledo.
In a place like Rochester you see Italian influence all over the place. You see a Puerto Rican influence. These are big factors that make the demographics different. The pace of life is much more different. It is not NYC fast here, but much faster than the Ohio cities mentioned. People here dress more "guido" like with the tacky sunglasses indoors/fake tan look. The accent is different, the slang words are different. I am constantly being told to slow down my speech when I am in those areas. I have never been told that when traveling in the northeast.
I agree... never been to Akron, but Topeka reminds me a lot more of Toledo than Rochester does.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
Quote:
Since I can't make you see my point that way, I'll try one last time. Syracuse has a lot more in common industrially, in terms of dialect, culture, and demographics, with northern Ohio than Charleston does, regardless of whatever differences may exist. Charleston is the south, which is much more different from northern Ohio than any place in the Northeast.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Since I can't make you see my point that way, I'll try one last time. Syracuse has a lot more in common industrially, in terms of dialect, culture, and demographics, with northern Ohio than Charleston does, regardless of whatever differences may exist. Charleston is the south, which is much more different from northern Ohio than any place in the Northeast.
I get that Charleston is much different than the northern cities mentioned, but does not make those northern cities similar to eachother.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM

20,845 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
I agree... never been to Akron, but Topeka reminds me a lot more of Toledo than Rochester does.
Topeka? Oh wow I really forget that city is a state capitol most of the time.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,446,091 times
Quote:
I'm with you.

I've traveled across upstate New York, spent time in Syracuse, etc. There are definitely similarities between places like Cleveland, Youngstown, etc, and upstate New York cities. There are differences, but not huge differences. The South, on the other hand, is a different planet.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm just old but I don't recall all of this "guido" you speak of. Unless it's tourist season and they come from downstate.

In fact a lot of people in upstate NY claim that Rochester and Buffalo both have a Midwestern vibe to them as compared to other northeastern cities. Great lake shore, flat lands surrounding them, lots of farm on said surrounding land, etc.

I also don't remember Rochester being so heavily Italian. I remember the Puerto Ricans and blacks, but not the Italian side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.