U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 09:44 AM

6,145 posts, read 7,226,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The Dakotas are typically claimed as the Midwest, though Mt. Rushmore and some of the Ponderosa pine studded land might be more Western. Ohio is always claimed as the Midwest, though its eastern border feels more like Pennsylvania.
Yes, the whole state is always included but it definitely doesn't feel midwestern where I live! The difference starts way before you get to the Black Hills. Pretty much as soon as you cross the Missouri it starts to feel western.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 AM

7,867 posts, read 10,395,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Yes, the whole state is always included but it definitely doesn't feel midwestern where I live! The difference starts way before you get to the Black Hills. Pretty much as soon as you cross the Missouri it starts to feel western.
Same with Texas, go try west Tx then think about those that argue Tx is southern. West Tx looks more like NM or Arizona than the south but then I know facts dont always matter on CD. I thnk there should be a section of the country something other than Southern, Western and Midwest. None of those fit Tx nor most of Oklahoma. One "rude welcome to pittsburgh I received after moving there from Houston, was a question I had never been asked in my first 28 years. Come to think of it I was asked it again in NJ. (Does that mean Pa and NJ are the same region? Not this alone)

I was asked "what are you?" I had to ask what they meant. Then I called my parents as it never came up in Oklahoma or Texas. My roots are US for centuries so only then did I learn I was scots irish. What a fascinating bit of trivia to learn so late in life. In NJ and Pa, I saw many early generation ethnics who lived in their own section of the city. I didnt see that nearly as much in Houston nor Dallas. Houston does have a significant concentration of Asians in the SW part of city.

Despite the similar question, Pittsburghers insisted they were Midwesterners... and NJ claimed the NE as their regions.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 PM

14,866 posts, read 10,807,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Same with Texas, go try west Tx then think about those that argue Tx is southern. West Tx looks more like NM or Arizona than the south but then I know facts dont always matter on CD. I thnk there should be a section of the country something other than Southern, Western and Midwest. None of those fit Tx nor most of Oklahoma. One "rude welcome to pittsburgh I received after moving there from Houston, was a question I had never been asked in my first 28 years. Come to think of it I was asked it again in NJ. (Does that mean Pa and NJ are the same region? Not this alone)

I was asked "what are you?" I had to ask what they meant. Then I called my parents as it never came up in Oklahoma or Texas. My roots are US for centuries so only then did I learn I was scots irish. What a fascinating bit of trivia to learn so late in life. In NJ and Pa, I saw many early generation ethnics who lived in their own section of the city. I didnt see that nearly as much in Houston nor Dallas. Houston does have a significant concentration of Asians in the SW part of city.

Despite the similar question, Pittsburghers insisted they were Midwesterners... and NJ claimed the NE as their regions.
Interesting post. However it does make sense that Pittsburghers might identify more with Ohio than they do with eastern PA.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:16 PM

9,429 posts, read 12,119,884 times
Quote:
I was just going to mention the Missouri River in South Dakota being the dividing line between Midwest and West. I've traveled across I-90 numerous times and always thought of Chamberlain as the dividing line. In Nebraska along I-80 it seems that Ogallala is the dividing line, although not as obvious as Chamberlain.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I was just going to mention the Missouri River in South Dakota being the dividing line between Midwest and West. I've traveled across I-90 numerous times and always thought of Chamberlain as the dividing line. In Nebraska along I-80 it seems that Ogallala is the dividing line, although not as obvious as Chamberlain.
I find it interesting. It's cornfields on one side and grass/cattle on the other.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 PM

9,429 posts, read 12,119,884 times
Quote:
I find it interesting. It's cornfields on one side and grass/cattle on the other.
We always knew we were getting closer to our family in Iowa or getting closer to home in Montana when we got to Chamberlain.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
We always knew we were getting closer to our family in Iowa or getting closer to home in Montana when we got to Chamberlain.
I'm always glad to pass Mitchell. That's the halfway point between me and my family.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:10 PM

24,751 posts, read 42,526,936 times
Quote:
Even rural areas of eastern SD have very low population densities, so it has more of a wide open western feel. The Midwest has much higher population densities in its rural counties.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:13 PM

24,751 posts, read 42,526,936 times
Quote:
Ya, East River vs West River have very apparent differences in vegetation and landuse However, the Dakotas now have nearly the exact same population densities in rural counties in both East and West River areas.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:34 PM

197 posts, read 627,981 times
I think it's pretty easy.

The Midwest crowds around the Great Lakes above the former "slave states" of the South, west of the Northeastern states and east of the Rocky Mountain states.

That's pretty much how the USCB defines it

I think mostly the confusion comes from the fact that they don't know how to find the Rocky Mountain states and want to include those, but pretty much those are "frontier" states that have nothing in common with Detroit, Chicago, Omaha, Minneapolis, etc or even our Breadbasket states.

I just consider those "The West" along with California, Oregon, etc. . .

They were the last frontier of the U.S.'s Manifest Destiny crusade of the North American continent and have a certain culture that is different than the eastern, western, and midwestern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.