U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region would be most prosperous on its own?
Northeast 77 44.00%
Midwest 18 10.29%
South 35 20.00%
West 45 25.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,157,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I personally every region except the Northeast would do better on its own. New York's influence and global power would have the wind knocked out of it. DC would also suffer greatly as I doubt the South would want to keep as their national capital.
I genuinely don't understand why you think that. Seriously, what would change that much for New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
False. They make money off the rest of the world.
Exactly, there's no real reason NYC wouldn't remain at the head of global finance along with London. If there was going to be such a negative impact on NY then you wouldn't have movements throughout history and until now for NY to become an independent city, not just of the state but the country. NY would be even more important if say it became a capital like London or Paris. But forgetting that, NY has its political clout, there wouldn't be any reason for the UN or anyone else for that matter to move away.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 AM

7,611 posts, read 9,469,701 times
I think that the Midwest would do well, with its abundant farmland ( corn, soybeans, wheat, dairy, etc), its longstanding industrialization and its strong supply of fresh water via the Great Lakes..

Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM

16,972 posts, read 22,295,143 times
The economy in the Northeast overall is dying a slow death really. Next to nothing of any real use is produced in the Northeast except some farm products in Northern New England and parts of NY.

I voted West, but had Alaska in mind. Alaska has the most potential of any single area, held back only by the feds owning the majority of the land.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,157,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I think that the Midwest would do well, with its abundant farmland ( corn, soybeans, wheat, dairy, etc), its longstanding industrialization and its strong supply of fresh water via the Great Lakes..
Yeah, I don't know why it has so few votes.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 AM

4,270 posts, read 5,496,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I agree.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM

208 posts, read 709,104 times
According the this poll...the Midwest is screwed! LOL

Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,493,473 times
So much wrong with this, Andy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'd rank the Northeast last. They are geographically poor, and the expensive and unsustainable "blue state" model will chase producers to other places rather than help retain them. Progressive policies are anti-prosperity and anti-freedom. If you are in a left leaning area, it is better to be around pro-freedom liberals than anti-freedom progressives, especially if you are a small business who can't afford to bribe government.
The blue state model as you call it has produced the highest per capita income in the world. Nine of the ten wealthiest states are blue. Most blue states are net tax payers to the federal government, whereas most red states are net beneficiaries. A lot of red state politicians like to trot out figures about percentages of Americans who pay no taxes. They reside in red states. The blue states are the growth engine for our economy, the source of our ideas, and the foundation of our wealth.
Quote:
The Western United States is natural resource rich and contains the best geography, climates, and farmlands in America. If the west could avoid the unsustainable and destructive govt. that currently dominates California, it would be the most prosperous.
This is a rather old school way of thinking. The United States is certainly a powerful agricultural country. But it is not an agrarian economy.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Here's an old post of mine:

I personally every region except the Northeast would do better on its own. New York's influence and global power would have the wind knocked out of it. DC would also suffer greatly as I doubt the South would want to keep as their national capital.
That's an interesting map, but I'm not sure that it's measuring the right data. What matters more than GDP is GDP per capita. India is a big GDP country, but it is very poor. Mexico is a big GDP country -- is it as important or successful as South Korea (which ranks just bellow on GDP)?

Anyway, all four regions would be top economies, but the Northeast would continue to be the wealthiest of the four, just as it is now, and for all of the same reasons.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The economy in the Northeast overall is dying a slow death really. Next to nothing of any real use is produced in the Northeast except some farm products in Northern New England and parts of NY.
Yeah, there's pretty much nothing going on besides bit farming. No knowledge economy whatsoever, right?

It amazes me how many responses in this thread have focused on the elements of a developing economy like cheap labor and agriculture, yet completely ignored the elements of a true 21st century economy like R&D, medical equipment, pharma, bio-tech, finance, programming, design, and the list goes on and on. This is what happens in the NorthEast and the Pacific coast, and in a few select metros spread around the rest of the country. If you look at metrics for wealth, GDP growth per capita, world rankings, you will find again and again that it is the places focused on the 21st century, not the places focused on the 18th or 19th. Agriculture? Manufacturing? Really?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:11 PM

16,753 posts, read 23,200,142 times
It's too bad that Texas, California and the entire Northeast weren't part of one geographic region. It would be an economic powerhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or