U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
Reputation: 13610

Advertisements

FWIW, places that have extreme temperature swings like this also get severe weather events like tornadoes and ice storms and severe thunderstorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2012, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,895 posts, read 4,567,409 times
Reputation: 957
I would also recommend looking into the Indianapolis area.
Most affordable real estate market in the country. lowest cost of living of any major city. And home to some of the worlds largest sporting events like the Indy 500 and the Super Bowl.
2nd Indianapolis is within a days drive to 75% of the United States population if you have relatives here
plus our summers are mild with highs in the mid 80s to low 90s and we have all 4 seasons with mild but some snow in the winter
Also Indy's residents are very nice and down to earth people. Willing to give you a hand when you need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,642 posts, read 7,444,233 times
Reputation: 4315
Maybe Prescott, AZ or Albuquerque, NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I would also recommend looking into the Indianapolis area.
Most affordable real estate market in the country. lowest cost of living of any major city. And home to some of the worlds largest sporting events like the Indy 500 and the Super Bowl.
2nd Indianapolis is within a days drive to 75% of the United States population if you have relatives here
plus our summers are mild with highs in the mid 80s to low 90s and we have all 4 seasons with mild but some snow in the winter
Also Indy's residents are very nice and down to earth people. Willing to give you a hand when you need it.
I'm not sure I would call Indy's summers and winters mild. It gets pretty damn hot and cold both in the winter and in the summer. The mid-80s to low-90s, coupled with humidity, makes for a pretty hot summer. Indy's winters are moderate more than anything else, cold, often with a reasonable amount of snow. Summers are just slightly better than St. Louis, winters slightly worse. Either way, summers and winters are typically not the best seasons for either of these cities.

To get a place with truly mild winters and summers, the only way I've found that can be accomplished is by living on either the East or West Coast, more likely the West Coast. San Francisco and Seattle are mild year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 02:55 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'm not sure I would call Indy's summers and winters mild. It gets pretty damn hot and cold both in the winter and in the summer. The mid-80s to low-90s, coupled with humidity, makes for a pretty hot summer. Indy's winters are moderate more than anything else, cold, often with a reasonable amount of snow. Summers are just slightly better than St. Louis, winters slightly worse. Either way, summers and winters are typically not the best seasons for either of these cities.

To get a place with truly mild winters and summers, the only way I've found that can be accomplished is by living on either the East or West Coast, more likely the West Coast. San Francisco and Seattle are mild year round.
Again...hate to do this to you, but this is one of those situations where I'll have to disagree, but I guess it depends on your perspective. I wouldn't call 84 degrees pretty hot, being that the average high temperature in Indy in July is only 84 degrees (90 in St. Louis). Having lived in the South during the summer (and the humidity does increase the farther south in latitude you go), I would have killed for a sunny 84 degree day with less humidity compared to 92 with a heat index of 103. While not mind-blowing, that's a pretty noticeable difference, I would think. Also, it does not exceed 90 very often in Indy, in fact, there have been years where the highest temperature never exceeded 90 degrees. 100 is even more rare--it can take decades to see a 100 degree day.

Winter is much more variable, particularly with regards to the amount of snow. Snow totals can vary dramatically across the Midwest thanks to the Great Lakes and prevailing winds, and every once in a while you'll get a mild year such as this or a nastier winter with 50 inches of snow. I think places near the shore are much more consistent in terms of snowfall, which I would rather have. If it's going to be cold outside, at least give me some snow to look at.

Last edited by Colts; 03-05-2012 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Again...hate to do this to you, but this is one of those situations where I'll have to disagree, but I guess it depends on your perspective. I wouldn't call 84 degrees pretty hot, being that the average high temperature in Indy in July is only 84 degrees (90 in St. Louis). Having lived in the South during the summer (and the humidity does increase the farther south in latitude you go), I would have killed for a sunny 84 degree day with less humidity compared to 92 with a heat index of 103. While not mind-blowing, that's a pretty noticeable difference, I would think. Also, it does not exceed 90 very often in Indy, in fact, there have been years where the highest temperature never exceeded 90 degrees. 100 is even more rare--it can take decades to see a 100 degree day.

Winter is much more variable, particularly with regards to the amount of snow. Snow totals can vary dramatically across the Midwest thanks to the Great Lakes and prevailing winds, and every once in a while you'll get a mild year such as this or a nastier winter with 50 inches of snow. I think places near the shore are much more consistent in terms of snowfall, which I would rather have. If it's going to be cold outside, at least give me some snow to look at.
It does depend on your perspective...and if you look at the charts for recent summers, particularly the past two years, Indy has been pretty bad, and there's no disputing that. It doesn't have to get above 90 at all to be bad. The upper 80s combined with humidity is downright awful. Not to mention, a heat index of 92 is not exactly what I would call pleasant...so that's why I said not a big difference...as you said, not mind blowing, but a difference, as I acknowledged. Either one is not very tolerable.

Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit, don't frequently get hot enough in the summer for the heat index itself to even reach 90. That's not something that can be said for Indy and Columbus. I've been observing summers between all these cities for the past 5 years, and except for one, where every one was cool, and this year where it was unusually hot, i've gotten pretty consistent feedback.

As far as hot goes, St. Louis is far from the only place in the Midwest that reaches heat indices of over 100. Omaha and Kansas City exceed them quite often, far from unheard of, and Iowa is pretty hot in the summer as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit, don't frequently get hot enough in the summer for the heat index itself to even reach 90.
That is absolutely not true. A temperature of 85 can produce a heat index of 90 at a dew point of just 65 degrees. The average July high temperature is in the 80s for all of those cities.

Do you honestly research this stuff before you post it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
That is absolutely not true. A temperature of 85 can produce a heat index of 90 at a dew point of just 65 degrees. The average July high temperature is in the 80s for all of those cities.

Do you honestly research this stuff before you post it?
Have you paid attention at all to the past 5 years, out of curiousity? I've been followed weather patterns on a consistent basis for about 6 years, from 2006 to the present day, doing comparisons between cities by the day. And I can testify, unequivocally, that Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland generally didn't have a lot of days where the heat index reached 90....temperatures that have been more typical for those cities, at least as of the past 5 years, have been in the lower 80s to upper 70s and heat indices below 90. I've seen Indy exceed 90 degrees in terms of the heat index much more often than these three. If you want to attack my observations, go ahead. That's your business. You seem to be of the contention that Indy is as cool as Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago in the summer...from my own observations I can tell you that's false. As far as average temperatures go, those can also be misleading, especially if they are monthly, because one city can reach a much greater extreme on any given day than another. It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. IF you honestly believe Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit constantly exceed 90 degrees in the heat index, and do it often, you've essentially just claimed those places are unbearable in the summer. Typically, one associates a dew point 65 or over as uncomfortable...i've never met anyone who said Indy was as cool as Chicago in the summer.

Last edited by stlouisan; 03-05-2012 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
 
Location: New York
880 posts, read 1,733,491 times
Reputation: 542
You'll love New York. Our weather is on the extreme side of every season (except for this season, which has been exceptionally warm). We had a day last summer where it was up to 105 degrees - it was crazy. The summers usually range in the high 90s and winters in the 20s-30s. We usually get a lot of snow when it's crazy..haven't you heard of snowstorms in the Northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM
 
1,244 posts, read 2,985,315 times
Reputation: 1814
Hot summers and snowy winters? Upstate NY is what you want. The summers are getting hotter, definitely. And although this winter has been crazily without snow, usually you get plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top