U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM

208 posts, read 709,104 times

Advertisements

It seems that most desert areas (St. George, Scottsdale, Yuma, etc.) seem to be Republican.
Any desert locales that are Democrat. I love the desert. I find the American desert to be the most beautiful, but I don't really want to live in a Conservative/Republican area.
I am in love with Scottsdale (Phoenix-area as a whole), but I don't think I would want to buy a house and settle down there. You know??

So....looking at the entire American Southwest. What places come to mind?

Thanks to all. And have fun with this!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 AM

32,394 posts, read 55,240,452 times
Ive heard that Tuscon is not very conservative.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM

870 posts, read 1,361,138 times
New Mexico, especially Santa Fe. Very strongly democratic place. Albuquerque is more moderate, but still not Republican.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 28 days ago)

8,744 posts, read 10,868,450 times
Tucson is more liberal than Phoenix for sure, but most any place would be now. Phoenix used to be moderate in the 90's or a true "live and let live" philososphy which appealed to many, but in the recent years it's like a bunch of loonies have taken over the asylum.I'm from the northeast and I don't mind republicans, never have,but the "normal" variety.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,206,828 times
I've heard that Salt Lake City is actually a fairly liberal place though that defies all logic and demographics.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Tucson is more liberal than Phoenix for sure, but most any place would be now. Phoenix used to be moderate in the 90's or a true "live and let live" philososphy which appealed to many, but in the recent years it's like a bunch of loonies have taken over the asylum.
Tucson is liberal from what I've read, but I heard unless you live in the affluent Catalina Foothills....Tucson is generally an unsafe area.

True?? Someone enlighten me.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 28 days ago)

8,744 posts, read 10,868,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
Tucson is liberal from what I've read, but I heard unless you live in the affluent Catalina Foothills....Tucson is generally an unsafe area.

True?? Someone enlighten me.
I don't know about how "unsafe" it is. It's a smaller metro than Phoenix for sure. If you live in a middle class area, no problem more than anywheres else. Phoenix has loads more of crime, but it's much bigger, too.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I've heard that Salt Lake City is actually a fairly liberal place though that defies all logic and demographics.
I've lived in Lehi, Utah and went to SLC on numerous occasions. It is pretty liberal. I actually fit in quite well on both sides. Being that I am a Mormon Democrat.
I know........but we do exist. Think Harry Reid. And I forgot this other guys name but he is the State Rep from SLC who is also a LDS Democrat.
But when I say desert (and SLC is a desert), but I'm thinking of more sand, cactus, palm trees, and lots of red mountains. Think Southern Utah

Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 PM

870 posts, read 1,361,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
The city is, but the metro area is still pretty Republican.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,209,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGKangrui View Post
New Mexico, especially Santa Fe. Very strongly democratic place. Albuquerque is more moderate, but still not Republican.
This is very true. Santa Fe is very much a democratic city. Pretty much anywhere in Northern New Mexico is democratic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.