Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Its true. Both Dallas and Houston have a very decent housing market. But there is alot of cookie cutter neighborhoods in both cities. I personally like fixer uppers. The south in general gives you more bang for your buck.
Indy would get you more bang for your buck.
Consider that in the Summer the south has 90 degree days all summer. Cranking up the AC cost alot of money due to energy usage.
Indianapolis will get in the mid 80s for summer highs with your occasional 90s.
Not to mention with everyone in the South on the AC it can cause risk for blackouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM

350 posts, read 740,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I've got news for you, most cities have nice areas surrounded by, or adjacent to, some pretty rough areas.
I don't think to the stark crime level or amount of contrast that Detroit has. Boston-Edison is literally a single street surrounded by rundown houses, shootings, and a massive ghetto. I think it would be pretty scary to live in.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indy would get you more bang for your buck.
Consider that in the Summer the south has 90 degree days all summer. Cranking up the AC cost alot of money due to energy usage.
Indianapolis will get in the mid 80s for summer highs with your occasional 90s.
Not to mention with everyone in the South on the AC it can cause risk for blackouts.
Ohh yea..We had a big problem with this in Texas last summer. I've been cranking the AC since February here. We have had a very warm spring this year.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
I don't think to the stark crime level or amount of contrast that Detroit has. Boston-Edison is literally a single street surrounded by rundown houses, shootings, and a massive ghetto. I think it would be pretty scary to live in.
There are neighborhoods like that in Indianapolis; and I would bet cash that most other cities do as well. Whether that is frightening to you or not is a different topic for another time.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
What you mean are amenities, and as someone who has lived in Carmel, I can tell you Detroit's suburbs have plenty more.
LOL, "plenty more" what, Coney Islands?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Yes there are some amazing houses for low prices but Boston-Edison is surrounded by terrible areas, same for Indian Village. Palmer Woods/Sherwood Forest if you cross Woodward Avenue you are again in a terrible area. I wouldn't live in either of these three areas because of safety concerns.
In some of those neighborhoods, you pay into private security patrols.

But yea, it's a tough adjustment and also a tough argument to say to people that living within the city is better than living in the suburbs. As was mentioned, Detroit's suburbs are pretty good in terms of amenities. (videos are from 2007-2008)

Royal Oak Michigan - YouTube

BIRMINGHAM MICHIGAN - YouTube

DEARBORN MICHIGAN - YouTube

FARMINGTON MICHIGAN - YouTube

With the exception of Birmingham, they're well within the affordability of $50K to $200K. Of course, other nearby suburbs don't have the same "downtowns" but going back to what I said before, they're pretty satisfactory for basic living given what the inner-city options are.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Its true. Both Dallas and Houston have a very decent housing market. But there is alot of cookie cutter neighborhoods in both cities. I personally like fixer uppers. The south in general gives you more bang for your buck.
You would love Upstate NY then. Here are suburban and some small town homes for under 100,000 in the Syracuse area: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 PM

Indianapolis, IN Homes for Sale & Real Estate | Homes.com
Heres the front page on homes.com of Indianapolis's Real estate market
MLS # 21170236 - 7227 Dublin Lane, Indianapolis IN, 46239 | Homes.com
140k for this house..... nice
As i have said before the Dollar goes farther in Indy you will have a much higher disposible income here compared to NYC/Chicago/LA/SF etc.
Hence why Poverty is lower which keeps crime down too.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:42 PM

Update: NAHB: Nationwide Housing Affordability Reaches New Record High
Indianapolis tops the nation again in most affordable housing markets
Median Family income is 67,000 well the Cost of living is 20% below the national average.
Very nice i gotta say

Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Update: NAHB: Nationwide Housing Affordability Reaches New Record High
Indianapolis tops the nation again in most affordable housing markets
Median Family income is 67,000 well the Cost of living is 20% below the national average.
Very nice i gotta say
Now Indiana must rapidly diversify its energy dependency away from coal and to renewables that include wind energy. Energy efficiency is priority #1. Indiana does well with cost of living but must stop exernalizing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.