U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 PM

880 posts, read 1,734,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
I find that a lot of people mistakenly assume that everyone from New York is from "the city". Many don't realize how much more there is to NY beyond NYC.
This is true. Also, people also embody NYC as glamorous and luxurious (think Sex and The City). Not true. The majority of us are immigrants or with parents/grandparents who are immigrants and most of us are of ethnic backgrounds. There are so many project housings and slums, you wouldn't believe your eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,208,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
This is true. Also, people also embody NYC as glamorous and luxurious (think Sex and The City). Not true. The majority of us are immigrants or with parents/grandparents who are immigrants and most of us are of ethnic backgrounds. There are so many project housings and slums, you wouldn't believe your eyes.
Yeah, baby. Some of those tourists wouldn't dare explore places like Bed-Stuy and Harlem, it's like a completely different city to them.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:52 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
People think if you visit New Orleans you are guaranteed to be shot. If you are that naive, you deserve to be shot.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,738,716 times
Every place has perception issues. I'll give you an instance.

I live in Alabama. My family is professionally successful, well-educated, well-read, and culturally literate. We attend plays, read books, and have very catholic tastes in music. We dress well, travel a good deal, and hold rather moderate political opinions.

My brother is a screenwriter in L.A. We all flew out for his first, disastrous marriage. Judging from the questions and attitudes of the L.A. people, you would have thought that the Beverly Hillbillies had just arrived. Never mind that we were better dressed and better groomed than any of them. The snobbery was so palpable that you could cut it with a knife.

Finally, as I was standing there making some chitchat with a few of my brother's more sane friends, I was approached by this guy who seemed intent on making conversation. Grateful, I introduced myself and we had a few pleasant minutes.

So he then asked this question: "You're from Alabama, right? Were you excited to get on a plane and fly all the way out here?"

Without missing a beat, I replied. "Well, that was pretty special. But what's even more so is that these are only the second pair of shoes I've ever owned."

The guy blinked, and said, "Okay. I said something wrong, am I right?" I just laughed and said, "Sorry. We've just been dealing with that all night long." Then we had a rather good conversation. A rather funny one, in fact.

Another instance? Octavia Spencer, a proud Alabamian, just won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. During her acceptance speech, she thanked the people of her state for their support. Guess what the crowd did? They laughed. Don't take my word for it. Look at the clip on YouTube.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM

489 posts, read 468,940 times
upstate new york is one of the most misunderstood places I have ever been in. To those from nyc metro it is seen as a vast wilderness of canadiens. To those from other parts of the country, the entire state is perceived through the lens of manhatten, and they think upstate is just one big concrete jungle full of bad accents and aggressive people, and of course, everyone assumes you are "close" to manhatten (even if you live in ithaca).

Of course, the real upstate lies in the middle of these two inaccurate perceptions.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM

2,166 posts, read 4,743,232 times
It seems many people (especially on these boards) think that all Californians are either hyper-liberal, vegan tree huggers or shallow, materialistic, vapid jerks and that all of California is smoggy and crime-ridden and overrun with illegal immigrants. California tends to be divided up into San Francisco and L.A. and every other place is within a couple hours of those cities and everything revolves around them.

Typical view of CA from outsiders:

DowntownLA

GoldenGateBridge/SF

LagunaBeach

Places most outsiders have no clue about:

Awholelotofnothing

Morenothing

MethLabDisguisedAsATown

HistoricPlacerville

CrazyTallBridgeFromMovieXXX

California is practically a country of its own that is unbelievably loaded with diversity in every aspect and yet many people hold fast to idiotic stereotypes based on what they see on T.V. and movies.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:19 PM

107 posts, read 207,796 times
mstnghu2: You know nothing about Oroville, why even make a comment on a place you know nothing about? You are in fact feeding the stereotypes that is not true.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:23 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,543,826 times
Generrally what people think of a state is 10-15 years outdated because they don't get updates on every area of everycityveverywhere because it dosent matter to them

Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,113,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Every place has perception issues. I'll give you an instance.

I live in Alabama. My family is professionally successful, well-educated, well-read, and culturally literate. We attend plays, read books, and have very catholic tastes in music. We dress well, travel a good deal, and hold rather moderate political opinions.

My brother is a screenwriter in L.A. We all flew out for his first, disastrous marriage. Judging from the questions and attitudes of the L.A. people, you would have thought that the Beverly Hillbillies had just arrived. Never mind that we were better dressed and better groomed than any of them. The snobbery was so palpable that you could cut it with a knife.
To be fair, it sounds like you judge Los Angeles from one visit. Which would make sense because your brother is in 'the industry' - it seems like many who have misconceptions were either in the entertainment industry or were close to someone in it.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM

2,166 posts, read 4,743,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlywhite View Post
mstnghu2: You know nothing about Oroville, why even make a comment on a place you know nothing about? You are in fact feeding the stereotypes that is not true.

It was meant to be facetious. Calm down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or