U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM

21,517 posts, read 19,348,618 times

Advertisements

Interesting views on NY so far. indeed we tend to think it is all Manhattan. Alabama, no idea. I guess to many people outside the South the South is all the same, backwards, sweaty, poor, except for a few islands of civilization such as Atlanta

I was surprised to read that New Jersey is a pretty good place these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:55 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,323,610 times
New Jersey is easily the most misinterpreted state. I would venture to guess that 75% of the people who chime in with an opinion have either never touched foot in the state or flew into Newark on their way to another place.
NJ is one on the wealthiest, most educated states. Outside of the urban areas, it is one of the most scenic states. The food is second to none. Entertainment options are limitless.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,212,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
New Jersey is easily the most misinterpreted state. I would venture to guess that 75% of the people who chime in with an opinion have either never touched foot in the state or flew into Newark on their way to another place.
NJ is one on the wealthiest, most educated states. Outside of the urban areas, it is one of the most scenic states. The food is second to none. Entertainment options are limitless.
Joisey Shoah

Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,935,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
NJ is one on the most scenic states.
Sounds to me, like you have never stepped foot OUTSIDE of new jersey....

Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't think Kansas "suffers" at all from the perception others have of it. A lot of people really enjoy living in a Well Kept Secret, untroubled by outsiders trying to shoulder in and get a share of the good life.
And some of us native Kansans couldn't wait to get the hell out! And I lived in the suburbs of KC, not the backwater rural areas. But I agree that KC does still suffer from misconceptions. I remember the first time I went to New England as a teenager (late '80s) people would ask me if we had TV, if I was a farmer, if people were illiterate in Kansas.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:17 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,162,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And some of us native Kansans couldn't wait to get the hell out! And I lived in the suburbs of KC, not the backwater rural areas. But I agree that KC does still suffer from misconceptions. I remember the first time I went to New England as a teenager (late '80s) people would ask me if we had TV, if I was a farmer, if people were illiterate in Kansas.
Don't feel too bad about this one. When I was in Boston, the townies delighted in pointing to things and saying, I bet you don't have that in California! Some of the things included fireworks, skycrapers, and statues. lol.. um, yeah, we've got all of those in California. Doesnt' matter where your hood is, if you've never left it, you have a pretty narrow idea of what's out there.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So, do you have TV in Kansas?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Sounds to me, like you have never stepped foot OUTSIDE of new jersey....
Sure, it is not Colorado, but for such a small state it has varied and pleasant scenery, hills, beaches... And it is all rather close to the urban centers.
The climate is also rather nice, given its latitude.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 AM

20 posts, read 31,781 times
New Jersey. I wen't on vacation overseas recently... Whenever I told people I'm from Jersey they said, "Oh, like the Jersey Shore!!"

-_____________- NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,058,846 times
Here, even in Northern New Jersey, when someone says they are going to "New York" that means they are going to "New York City" even though the New York State is closer to us (Mahwah, Bergen County) than the city itself really is. People tend to forget that New York is a STATE and not just a city. I did not explore New York State (except NYC) much when I was younger and I regret doing that! The Hudson River Valley, so close to NJ, has so much to offer. I loved the Catskills, taller than anything in NJ, along with The Roosevelt Estate, Vanderbilt Estate (both in Hyde Park) and all of the other natural scenery along the Hudson River and surrounding Mountains. When I get my own transportation again, I plan to explore Albany (esp. the Magnificent Empire State Plaza), the Adirondacks, Thousands Islands, Niagara Falls and Syracuse area. Then maybe "New York" will no longer mean just NYC in the minds of those that I discuss my travels with, it will mean something far more complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or