U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,232,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Yeah if he/she wants to remain in the South.......
When you can demonstrate that Maryland and Delaware from a modern standpoint are southern for many other reasons besides being below the Mason-Dixon line, especially culturally and demographically, I'll take your posts seriously. Until then,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 01:14 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,447,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Yeah if he/she wants to remain in the South.......
MD and DE are northern states...

Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 AM

6,866 posts, read 7,815,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
When you can demonstrate that Maryland and Delaware from a modern standpoint are southern for many other reasons besides being below the Mason-Dixon line, especially culturally and demographically, I'll take your posts seriously. Until then,
I wouldn't bother. This poster has an odd and oft-repeated yet unsubstantiated view.

The reason I'm posting however is to ask: Are you aware Delaware is actually east of the Mason-Dixon Line?

File:Mason-dixon-line.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,536,833 times
As a native South Carolinian who moved to Chicago and since has moved back (but not because I didn't love Chicago), I'd argue that if you want to live in the South, you might as well live in the South. Trying to replicate the experience by picking someplace up North that "feels" southern kind of defeats the purpose, no? No place up north is going to feel as southern as Mississippi. It's best to embrace these cities on their own terms.

Also, keep in mind that "up north" is even less homogeneous than "down south." If there are differences between Mississippi, Virginia, Louisiana, and the Florida panhandle (and there are HUGE differences), there are arguably even bigger differences between St. Louis and Philly, Boston and Chicago, etc.

Move north if that's what you want and if that's what's good for you. But you won't find home. Which is sort of the point of moving away, isn't it?

Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 AM

2,713 posts, read 2,284,602 times
Not sure what areas you plan on moving to up north, but I noticed no one brought up the biggest change you would expierence, the weather. We lived in the Houston/Galveston area our whole life, and moved to Utah for a change. Even though it's not " up north" it still had a drastically different weather than we were used to. The cold is still hard on us. Of course, the weather might not be a deciding element in your desicion, but just thought it might be food for thought.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 AM

56,737 posts, read 81,038,544 times
If you don't mind, you may be interested in this website: New York State Hospital Profile

Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissRN View Post
I know the North has residents who moved from the South for many reasons. I'm considering a move up north from my home state of Mississippi for a change.

I am looking into Minnesota (Twin Cities), Wisconsin (Madison), Illinois (Chicago suburbs), Ohio (Columbus), Pennsylvania, New York, and Massachusetts (Boston suburbs). I might give Kansas City and Indianapolis a try.

Finding a job won't be an issue since I'm a Registered Nurse. Healthcare is booming regardless of where you are!

What's like living up north? Do you like it or hate it?

Are the northerners welcoming and friendly where making friends won't be an issue or does that depend where you are?

Can anyone suggest northern states where southerners are more likely to feel at home?
I moved from southern Virginia to New Jersey about 8 years ago. Sure, it's different. The weather is colder (not by very much, though), the accents and food are different, the landscape is more urban, and the change in cost of living was a shocker. It was a significant change. But it was a great experience for me. Whether or not you'll adapt well, make friends, etc. will largely depend on you. When I came I was excited about the move, eager to try new things, meet new people, etc. and the place soon fit me like a glove. I know other folks who have moved here from the South who had the same experience. I also know a couple of people who moved here and had a sour attitude about it from Day 1. They did nothing but complain about everything, and not surprisingly, had a hard time making friends. They lasted maybe a year and then moved back South.

People move to New Jersey (and other parts of the Northeast) from all over the world. I think that being from another part of the country won't be much of a handicap for you. And even if the move isn't permanent for you, just have fun with it and appreciate the experience! Good luck.

BTW, I would give the same advice to northerners moving south.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times
I'm from close to where you're from. Out of the cities you mentioned, I think you'd feel most comfortable in KC. I've never been, but I had the opportunity to meet a bunch of students from KC (about 30) at the same time, it was through school. They came down here to Memphis for a few days. They were barely different from us Memphians. They didn't even have a discernible accent. And bbq is also really big there, like in Memphis.

Indy would probably be another one you'd like, but I don't know much about it, other than the fact that several of my friends moved up there and they really enjoy it.

Personally, I love St. Louis. It's different enough from Memphis, and that's what makes it interesting, but it's not so different that I feel out of place when I go there. People are still friendly; they still have manners (although they dont say "yes/no ma'am/sir"); they hold open doors, and they make small talk. Every time I'm up there I find myself having a friendly conversation with a stranger. They're even more interested in me when they find out that I'm from Memphis. People are a little more fast-paced though; it is a bigger city after all. St. Louis would definitely be an upgrade from Memphis, but it wouldn't be extremely different like most Northern cities. And you'd only be a couple hours outside the South, and 4.5 hours from Memphis

Last edited by Smtchll; 03-08-2012 at 12:11 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 AM

34 posts, read 160,697 times
I have been reading all posts after I started this thread. Maybe I can fill in my expectations to see if I could narrow down all northern states for you guys.

I happen to be a RN so it would be nice to work for one of the finest hospitals in the country. I want a bustling city where I could be easily out in the countryside within 30 minutes whenever I want to get away from the city life sometime. I guess that rules out gigantic NYC and Chicago; Twin Cities is more like my size, for an example.

I am a single young man so it's important for the city to have great single scenes. I also would like to meet a great lady and settle down eventually and have children.

I happen to be a Southern Baptist christian; however, I'm not like most Baptists. I am more moderate to liberal in my political views since I am an authentic Christian. The city doesn't have to be overwhelming educated or liberal but I want open-mindness people.

Most importantly of all, I would love to have a city that has pro sport teams, arts & theatre, opera, and many other cultural happenings and activities such as concerts all year long.

The cost of living should be moderate or no more than 10% higher than the national average. I love to drive so I'm less likely to use public transportation.

Based on my research, I think Twin Cities is my #1 choice. What do you think?

I hope this helps!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 AM

56,737 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Cleveland came to mind immediately. Maybe Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cincinnati and Milwaukee too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or