U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,228,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I wouldn't bother. This poster has an odd and oft-repeated yet unsubstantiated view.

The reason I'm posting however is to ask: Are you aware Delaware is actually east of the Mason-Dixon Line?

File:Mason-dixon-line.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
interesting...was not aware of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,840,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I wouldn't bother. This poster has an odd and oft-repeated yet unsubstantiated view.

The reason I'm posting however is to ask: Are you aware Delaware is actually east of the Mason-Dixon Line?

File:Mason-dixon-line.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still doesn't make them a southern state...neither is Missouri/Oklahoma (and I personally don't consider TX either) but that's for another discussion.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:27 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,899,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Still doesn't make them a southern state...neither is Missouri/Oklahoma (and I personally don't consider TX either) but that's for another discussion.
No one is claiming that MO and DE are southern states.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:46 PM

7,600 posts, read 9,450,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissRN View Post
I have been reading all posts after I started this thread. Maybe I can fill in my expectations to see if I could narrow down all northern states for you guys.

I happen to be a RN so it would be nice to work for one of the finest hospitals in the country. I want a bustling city where I could be easily out in the countryside within 30 minutes whenever I want to get away from the city life sometime. I guess that rules out gigantic NYC and Chicago; Twin Cities is more like my size, for an example.

I am a single young man so it's important for the city to have great single scenes. I also would like to meet a great lady and settle down eventually and have children.

I happen to be a Southern Baptist christian; however, I'm not like most Baptists. I am more moderate to liberal in my political views since I am an authentic Christian. The city doesn't have to be overwhelming educated or liberal but I want open-mindness people.

Most importantly of all, I would love to have a city that has pro sport teams, arts & theatre, opera, and many other cultural happenings and activities such as concerts all year long.

The cost of living should be moderate or no more than 10% higher than the national average. I love to drive so I'm less likely to use public transportation.

Based on my research, I think Twin Cities is my #1 choice. What do you think?

I hope this helps!
Good post, and a nice choice: MSP is one of the best metro areas in the country, and it has the gigantic University of Minnesota campus straddling the Minneapolis-St. Paul border along University Avenue..

Be prepared for the temperature differences; although this has been a mild winter everywhere in the US, keep in mind that Minnesota can get extremely cold during the winter ( many nights at or below zero), so be prepared; you'll also find lots of Catholics and Lutherans in Minnesota, as well....

Old 03-08-2012, 03:02 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,824,336 times
I can discuss New York, Pennsylvannia and Massachuesettes. The people in New York and Massachsettes will not be warm and welcoming. They will be on their rude and nasty behavior, I was just in Boston for an interview and it seems the driving has only gotten worse, Traffic is horrendous. Ditto for the New York city area however upstate is civilized. I like Pennsylvannia but I would stay away from Philly its a big city with big city problems and they also have some sort of extra tax they put on people that work in Philly. The other states I would not know enough to comment on but out of those 3 I would pick Pennsylvannia. The only welcome I think you may get is the one finger salute if you catch my drift.
I just relocated from Connecticut which is between New York and Mass, I must say I could no longer take that mentality any longer. I love love love Delaware, people are nice and friendly. My only regret is that I didn't move here long ago.
You may want to look into Delaware, there are many advantages to living here. The winters are milder than the states you mentioned. Its on the coast if you like the ocean and beaches. The state doesn't tax you to death. The northern part of the state is city-ish while the lower part is more country and farming. They call the lower part - lower slower Delaware and thats just fine with me.
ps the mason dixon line rock is directly west of me and in line with where I live - it just so happens to be in the next state - just saying

Last edited by PJ1252; 03-08-2012 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: add a ps

Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,730,554 times
I have been reading all posts after I started this thread. Maybe I can fill in my expectations to see if I could narrow down all northern states for you guys.

I happen to be a RN so it would be nice to work for one of the finest hospitals in the country. I want a bustling city where I could be easily out in the countryside within 30 minutes whenever I want to get away from the city life sometime. I guess that rules out gigantic NYC and Chicago; Twin Cities is more like my size, for an example.

You are really lucky with that type of career. You can pretty much live anywhere. I don't know anything about Chicago but don't just assume that NYC is an inescapable concrete jungle. There is a lot of easily accesible and high quality outdoor locations not too far outside the city. You can catch a Metro North train to the Appalachian trail and the lower Catskills. I also believe you can train it to the Adirondaks. Head west and you have the Delaware Water Gap and lots of nice areas in Pennsylvania.

Even Long Island has some surprising nice outdoor areas and beaches. I'm still kicking my self for not making the train ride out to Montauk.

I am a single young man so it's important for the city to have great single scenes. I also would like to meet a great lady and settle down eventually and have children.

I happen to be a Southern Baptist christian; however, I'm not like most Baptists. I am more moderate to liberal in my political views since I am an authentic Christian. The city doesn't have to be overwhelming educated or liberal but I want open-mindness people.

I was raised Southern Baptist and I consider myself in a similar situation to you. You'll find what you are looking for in most larger northern cities.

Most importantly of all, I would love to have a city that has pro sport teams, arts & theatre, opera, and many other cultural happenings and activities such as concerts all year long.

The cost of living should be moderate or no more than 10% higher than the national average. I love to drive so I'm less likely to use public transportation.

Well there goes New York...lol.

Based on my research, I think Twin Cities is my #1 choice. What do you think?

I've heard good things but have never been there.
I hope this helps!

Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM

16,721 posts, read 40,990,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
MD and DE are northern states...
Wrong much?

Old 03-11-2012, 12:31 AM

34 posts, read 160,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indianapolis is very welcoming to southerns.
Actually Indiana has a good southern Culture located in southern Indiana which is just south of Indy.
heck i even think they speak like Southerns. more along the lines of how kentuckians speak.
Indianapolis is also very affordable. Lowest cost of living of any major city and the nations most affordable housing market. Indianapolis is also within a days drive to 75% of the United States Population.
Were also the fastest growing region in the midwest and heck just today Rolls Royce announced they are investing over 50M dollars into Indianapolis and adding 100 full time high paying jobs.
Very good news i have to say especially in a down economy like this.
Indianapolis also has very friendly helpful down to earth people i have been to quite a few places and you really can't compete with Hoosier Hospitality. During Super Bowl 46 our Hoosier Hospitality was showcased around the world and well be the first northern city to be on the Super Bowl rotation list since the Media and NFL praised Indy for being a host city. The Indy 500 also is the largest single day sporting event in the world. 400,000 people come to our city to see this major event. There is even a marathon a few weeks before the race in honor of this event.
I have been to Indianapolis three times. Although I do not like Indiana in general due to its boring flat topography, I enjoyed Indy every time!

I was impressed with its Downtown, beautiful Meridian neighborhood, and suburbs of Carmel and Noblesville.

Why is Indy so underrated? Is it because the city mostly attracts new residents regionally or is it overshadowed by Chicago and Columbus?

Indiana has well run state government with triple A credit rating with stable economy by Midwest standard. However, its rankings in quality of life, healthy residents, and percentage of college educated population are very low. Is that because the majority of the state outside Indy are more into manufacturing and agricultural that brought down its ranking among 50 states?

Old 03-11-2012, 12:52 AM

34 posts, read 160,580 times
Thank you very much for all suggestions of northern cities/states you think I would fit in well as a southerner!

I have narrowed my list down to certain states and their cities. I would appreciate any comments/feedbacks/complaints about any of them.

Minnesota (Minneapolis-St. Paul) - Consistently one of the most livable metro areas

Indiana (Indianapolis) - Indy was the fastest growing city in the Midwest for few years with stable economy.

Ohio (Columbus) - It is known that Columbus is doing well compared to the rest of the state.

Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh) - I heard it's one of the most lively cities with its economy being fully recovered from post-steel era and declining population.

Maryland (Chevy Chase/northern suburbs near D.C.) - What can I say? It's near the national capital but Maryland is tackling with problems from high crime rate and high HIV+/AIDS population, which is pretty alarming.
*Technically speaking, I know MD is a southern state but it is not southern around D.C. Metro Area.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,071 times
The quality of life up north is great... peaceful, beautiful, quiet, crime free, friendly communities... so much more check out [url=http://www.northernlifestyles.com]Northern Lifestyles of Oscoda County Michigan Living Up North[/url] for more info about living up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or