U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM

16,738 posts, read 23,170,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Saturday and Sunday are also the worst traffic days in San Francisco as well. All the suburbanites and outlanders come into the City to have fun and they create hellacious traffic jams in all directions.
Here, it's just the opposite. It's those from the cities and inner-ring suburbs leaving on a Friday to their beach/"country" homes in Fenwick, Litchfield, or Vineyard/Cape Cod. On Sundays, they're all heading back to the inner metro area.

Quote:
Yes but that is probably due to incidents.
The "incident" being rush hour on a Friday. It's truly awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:42 AM

32,375 posts, read 55,173,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Here, it's just the opposite. It's those from the cities and inner-ring suburbs leaving on a Friday to their beach/"country" homes in Fenwick, Litchfield, or Vineyard/Cape Cod. On Sundays, they're all heading back to the inner metro area.
Unfortunately we have a mixture of both.

People from the city fleeing to the mountains, vineyards, coast----people from the valleys and surrounding metros coming into the City during the weekend.

And then on Sunday evening they all go home clogging freeways in both directions.

Quote:
The "incident" being rush hour on a Friday. It's truly awful.
I was once a victim of that drive so I do understand your pain. LOL.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately we have a mixture of both.

People from the city fleeing to the mountains, vineyards, coast----people from the valleys and surrounding metros coming into the City during the weekend.

And then on Sunday evening they all go home clogging freeways in both directions.
I don't know SF well, but don't suburbanites use mass transit to go out in the city? In the NYC burbs, most people from the 'burbs have had their car towed at least once so nobody drives in.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:28 AM

32,375 posts, read 55,173,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't know SF well, but don't suburbanites use mass transit to go out in the city? In the NYC burbs, most people from the 'burbs have had their car towed at least once so nobody drives in.
Many people take trains but I think most still drive--traffic on weekends in the city of SF is the worst of the entire week according to CalTrans.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,289,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
405 in L.A. between the 118 and 10. Continuing south past LAX and the Marina Freeway, it doesn't get much better.

Yeah, heard the horror stories? They really are no joke. 405 does markedly improve once you cross into Orange County.
I could never tell any difference from one part of the 405 to another. But my 9 years of commuting to and from work on the 55 in OC was pure hell. It took 45 min. to an hour to drive the 11 miles from work to home, every day. If I went in early (before 6 a.m.) it took about 12 min.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,888,070 times
Downtown LA getting onto the Harbor Freeway and then to the 405 during Friday at 5:00 PM before a three-day weekend? No problem. Hollywood Freeway? It was slow going, but not awful. Getting across the Columbia River on I-5 from Portland to Vancouver when the bridge was up? That wasn't even too bad.

Going around the block in downtown Seattle (South Lake Union area) in rush hour trying to get on I-5 South? 30 minutes... Literally just to get around the block. Literally. Aside from that, getting across downtown Portland can be awful too at the street level...

Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 AM

674 posts, read 1,347,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverking View Post
any hour listening to rush is the worst hour ever lol
lmao!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Many people take trains but I think most still drive--traffic on weekends in the city of SF is the worst of the entire week according to CalTrans.
Is there a lot of available parking in the city? And how strict are regulations on street parking?

Just curious.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 AM

393 posts, read 1,092,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I-95 southbound out of DC, from Springfield/Lorton VA toward Fredericksburg, VA. It's 40 miles between the two and routinely it will take an hour and a half to two hours (or more if there's an accident).
You are so right! Also, before they redid the Woodrow Wilson Bridge on the capital beltway, I can remember horrific backups that I had to endure on a daily basis. One time I decided to catch a movie rather than sit in that nightmare. Two hours later, the backup was still there in full force. It was hopeless, so I moved to the side of the river where I worked. That problem was solved, but then I had to ride the bus and subway to work. An hour in the morning to go the 18 miles to my office; an hour and 15 minutes to come home at night. Such a waste of time.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,447,535 times
It once took me 10 minutes to drive home from work, because I had to go a different way that was longer than my usual 2 miles. I got annoyed, then laughed at myself. Now I live 10 miles away and it usually takes no more than 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.