U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-24-2014, 01:53 PM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,203,197 times
Reputation: 1329

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Everywhere in the eastern US is susceptible to arctic cold, except the bottom half of Florida. Just look at the record lows of the areas. Single digits F on the Gulf Coast.

Only the west coast, protected by the mountains is safe.
The entire Coastal South, not just Florida, is safe from arctic cold, in the Eastern US. Not all of the West Coast is protected from arctic cold; the Pacific Northwest, and even the Southwest get struck as well.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2014, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,756,590 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The entire Coastal South, not just Florida, is safe from arctic cold, in the Eastern US. Not all of the West Coast is protected from arctic cold; the Pacific Northwest, and even the Southwest get struck as well.
What would you call 8 degrees fahrenheit then? Because that's how cold it has gotten in Galveston, TX before. If an area is truly "safe" from such temps, then that would have never happened.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 04:00 PM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,203,197 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
What would you call 8 degrees fahrenheit then? Because that's how cold it has gotten in Galveston, TX before. If an area is truly "safe" from such temps, then that would have never happened.
And? Miami has seen snow in its history, but it is still considered safe from snow. Why? Because the event was a fluke, a rarity, and will not have a chance of happening for centuries . For the same reasons, Galveston, and the rest of the Coastal South, can be considered safe from such arctic temps you describe, such temps occurred well over a century ago, and have never come close to happening since.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,756,590 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And? Miami has seen snow in its history, but it is still considered safe from snow. Why? Because the event was a fluke, a rarity, and will not have a chance of happening for centuries . For the same reasons, Galveston, and the rest of the Coastal South, can be considered safe from such arctic temps you describe, such temps occurred well over a century ago, and have never come close to happening since.
I guess you and I have a different idea of what "safe" means. 8 degrees is obviously the all-time record low for Galveston, but there have been plenty of other times, many of them in my lifetime, when temps dipped well below the freezing mark there. I remember in the winter of 1983-84 it got down to 14 in Galveston. I'd say that's coming pretty damn "close" to the all-time record.

Just look at these year-by-year records for Galveston. And this is strictly for the month of January. Count the number of times it went below freezing. Perhaps it's not "Arctic" temps, but it's definitely cold enough to not be "rare".

Weather History for Galveston, TX [Texas] for January
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 04:14 PM
 
529 posts, read 1,257,480 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
No, this forum has become a conglomerate of wimps. There are plenty of people who can stand the cold and even enjoy it. I lived 8 years in Fairbanks Alaska now I'm in Ohio and it feel tropical.
I agree, I'm always surprised to see how many people freak out over weather and cold temperature when it's not anything life threatening or extreme. Wimp is a good word for these people.

I'm the same way as you, I'll take 20 degrees over 110 degrees any day. I've lived in Michigan and the cold never really bothered me the way heat does.

At least you can put on a coat and be comfortable in 20 degrees, but in 110 degree weather you're SOL!

I'm a Hot weather wimp I guess, I spent too many years in Phoenix and Houston and the heat in those places was miserable and can't be avoided. Even the dry heat in Phoenix was still a little too much for me.

This article might interest you, it certainly interested me- Scientists: Americans are becoming weather wimps
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 04:32 PM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,203,197 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I guess you and I have a different idea of what "safe" means. 8 degrees is obviously the all-time record low for Galveston, but there have been plenty of other times, many of them in my lifetime, when temps dipped well below the freezing mark there. I remember in the winter of 1983-84 it got down to 14 in Galveston.
You are just not going to have winters like that commonly in Galveston, and the rest of the Coastal South. Decades can pass before such a winter ever happens again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Just look at these year-by-year records for Galveston. And this is strictly for the month of January. Count the number of times it went below freezing. Perhaps it's not "Arctic" temps, but it's definitely cold enough to not be "rare".

Weather History for Galveston, TX [Texas] for January
From what I can gather, it is very rare for Galveston to go below 30F in any given year. It is safe from arctic cold.


Lebron James may have lost to the Spurs in last season's finals, but he still is a great basketball player. By the same token, cold may strike the Coastal South from time to time, but it still is a warm region safe from cold that people flock to.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,756,590 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Really? Because the coldest states (outside non-coastal AK) are in the Plains, not the northeast or eastern Midwest.
Exactly. If we're strictly talking the lower 48, then the absolute coldest areas would be Northern Minnesota, Western North Dakota, and the Northeastern quadrant of Montana. In other words, areas that are barely inhabited. The largest city in this zone would be Bismarck, ND.

Places like Ohio, Michigan, Upstate NY, and New England don't get nearly as cold as this area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,756,590 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
You are just not going to have winters like that commonly in Galveston, and the rest of the Coastal South. Decades can pass before such a winter ever happens again.
Did you look at those records? 14 degrees is rare, yes. Going below freezing, NOT rare. The records speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
From what I can gather, it is very rare for Galveston to go below 30F in any given year. It is safe from arctic cold.
Again, it's NOT rare for Galveston to go below 30F. Look at the records. Also, "safe" and "rare" are two different things. The only place in this country I would say is actually "safe" is Hawaii (with the exception of the really high elevations).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,367 posts, read 21,930,528 times
Reputation: 33593
I live in East Central Minnesota, and you know...it's not that cold
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,523 posts, read 7,477,679 times
Reputation: 10928
This is clearly individual opinion. Go into the Michigan and Wisconsin forums and you will find people who are looking for snow and cold. They like it. There are people in the Florida forums who think anything below 70 is a cool day. Here in east Tennessee we get a very mild version of winter compared to the north, but to a Floridian its down right cold here. In my opinion if you hate cold weather you should avoid anywhere north of the Ohio River. If you cant deal with any cold you should stay south of interstate 10.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top