U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 01:09 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,116,699 times

Advertisements

I actually believe that some people are taught to hate the cold. Personally, I can tolerate cold or heat. We get it all in New England, so I'm fine with it either way, as long as I get a few months of summer weather. I wouldn't want to live in Alaska OR Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 08:57 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I actually believe that some people are taught to hate the cold. Personally, I can tolerate cold or heat. We get it all in New England, so I'm fine with it either way, as long as I get a few months of summer weather. I wouldn't want to live in Alaska OR Florida.
I totally agree. It is conditioning. If you are constantly coddled, have never had wet feet, and keep the thermostat at 72 all winter of course you are going to be weak and suffer at the mildest hint of Winter.

It is like fat people who are amazed that humans can actually walk three miles. In under an hour. On purpose. For fun.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:02 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Its a matter of opinion of course, but for me too cold is anything above I-40 (except Northern California).

Old 12-25-2014, 10:44 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,197,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Did you look at those records? 14 degrees is rare, yes. Going below freezing, NOT rare. The records speak for themselves. Again, it's NOT rare for Galveston to go below 30F. Look at the records.
Well, according to this, only 10% of Galveston's winter nights go below 39F. So maybe not rare, but definitely uncommon, for Galveston to even reach freezing in the first place, let alone go below 30F, in any given year: https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Also, "safe" and "rare" are two different things. The only place in this country I would say is actually "safe" is Hawaii (with the exception of the really high elevations).
I would agree that Hawaii is the safest place from cold in this country. That can't be disputed. However, I would also say that there are different levels of safety, with Hawaii being on top, followed by the warm areas of the continental US (Southwest US, Coastal South).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
I agree, I'm always surprised to see how many people freak out over weather and cold temperature when it's not anything life threatening or extreme. Wimp is a good word for these people.

I'm the same way as you, I'll take 20 degrees over 110 degrees any day. I've lived in Michigan and the cold never really bothered me the way heat does.

At least you can put on a coat and be comfortable in 20 degrees, but in 110 degree weather you're SOL!

I'm a Hot weather wimp I guess, I spent too many years in Phoenix and Houston and the heat in those places was miserable and can't be avoided. Even the dry heat in Phoenix was still a little too much for me.

This article might interest you, it certainly interested me- Scientists: Americans are becoming weather wimps
The heat in Houston can be avoided; the loads of lush subtropical flora and trees, and skies ever-accompanied by nice fluffy clouds ensure that shade is ever-present. Furthermore, frequent summer thunderstorms effectively douse the sky, cooling summer temps in Houston. Honestly, with such circumstances, Houston, and the rest of the Coastal South, feel more like jungle paradises ala Amazon than the supposed "hells" people like to describe them as, during the summer.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:37 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
I would not call Houston a jungle paradise. At all.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:10 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,764,328 times
anything north of the 10 is prolly too cold. just arrived in vegas to visit family for xmas and thought i was going to die when i got outside. i don't know how ppl live in such conditions, i need to buy a jacket or something for the duration of this trip.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:01 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,034 times
Oh no, a jacket!

Old 12-26-2014, 11:40 AM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
I personally don't care for long winters, or wet/icy winters, or snow beyond a couple of days a year. I DO like wearing fall and winter clothes though and I don't care for warm winters either. So for me, the southern states (not the gulf coast line though) are best when it comes to weather.

Here in northeast Texas, we can wear hats and scarves and boots and cute lightweight coats when we want to - but we can also go without boots or a hat or scarf if we'd rather not wear them. When I lived in a colder region, it would literally take me ten minutes to get the kids and me ready to go outside - sweater, scarf, gloves, big coat, hat, boots times five. AUGH. Plus, we had to come back in undo all that - often with muddy, wet clothes. And don't even get me started on having to dig out the car to go anywhere, or snow chains!

I like crisp sunny winters with the occasional snow or sleet (preferably in the evening - LOL - which is actually pretty common) and then I want all that gone within 24 hours. I like cold nights when we can enjoy the fireplace and/or the hot tub - and we have those from about November through March (we can enjoy the hot tub all the way through May some years though). That's all the winter I want.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:12 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,197,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I would not call Houston a jungle paradise. At all.
With plentiful rain and sun year-round, and loads of luscious, beautiful subtropical foliage, Houston, and the rest of the Coastal South certainly can fall into the category of jungle paradise. Plentiful thunderstorms quench and cool the atmosphere, ensure consistent relief during the so-called "unbearable" summers. Furthermore, the loads of subtropical flora, as well as ever-present cumulus clouds, are sources of shade from the sun, and thus also ease the "uncomfort" during summers.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:30 PM

12,644 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Totally agree.

Not only are some taught to hate the cold, but they think they're supposed to IMO. It's really not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or