U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 03:42 PM

12,646 posts, read 10,492,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I lived in a colder region, it would literally take me ten minutes to get the kids and me ready to go outside - sweater, scarf, gloves, big coat, hat, boots times five. AUGH. Plus, we had to come back in undo all that - often with muddy, wet clothes. And don't even get me started on having to dig out the car to go anywhere, or snow chains!
Interesting - it doesn't take me or my family that long! Times 5, with little kids, makes sense though. Still - it's probably more that you had so many people (and perhaps kids could be squirmy or helpless?) rather than that it's difficult to put winter clothes on.

I only wear snowboots when it's actually snowing and I'm going to shovel or for some reason walk through a few inches of it (because it's rarely unplowed/unshoveled by the time I go out after a storm). I don't wear snowboots just because it's cold out - I usually wear uggs or other boots. I only sometimes will put on a scarf. I rarely wear gloves to be honest. And I only wear hats when I'm shoveling snow and it's still coming down. It depends on how long I'll actually be outside when it comes to gloves and scarf. I wear scarves more for the fashion (infinity scarves) than to keep warm! Some of my friends from warmer areas (Southern California, Florida) that now live in my area go all out in winter clothes and snowboots to take a short walk from their car to the mall entrance or something like that. It boggles my mind but I guess I have a higher tolerance for cold since I usually just throw on a Northface fleece, some uggs and maybe a scarf, and call it a day. It just depends on what you're used to I guess. I always laugh though seeing them in clunky snowboots when there is zero snow accumulation. They want to fit in around here but they're not doing a very good job!

You can always spot the tourists, too, in New York. I work near the WTC and on my walk to and from PATH this time of year I see tourists bundled up like it's the North Pole when it's a warmer day at 40-50 degrees and I'm barely covered up. Classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:15 PM

3,075 posts, read 5,447,836 times
I was in Nashville TN over Thanksgiving and it was cold as heck. I gained about 3 degrees during the drive from MI to TN. I really don't see how 36 degrees with brown grass is so much more enjoyable than 28 degrees and snow.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:39 PM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I was in Nashville TN over Thanksgiving and it was cold as heck. I gained about 3 degrees during the drive from MI to TN. I really don't see how 36 degrees with brown grass is so much more enjoyable than 28 degrees and snow.
Yeah, that's why I like 55 degrees and sunshine. The brown grass is definitely bearable under those conditions!

Lots of people don't like snow for weeks or months at a time. It's just a personal choice.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Interesting - it doesn't take me or my family that long! Times 5, with little kids, makes sense though. Still - it's probably more that you had so many people (and perhaps kids could be squirmy or helpless?) rather than that it's difficult to put winter clothes on.

I only wear snowboots when it's actually snowing and I'm going to shovel or for some reason walk through a few inches of it (because it's rarely unplowed/unshoveled by the time I go out after a storm). I don't wear snowboots just because it's cold out - I usually wear uggs or other boots. I only sometimes will put on a scarf. I rarely wear gloves to be honest. And I only wear hats when I'm shoveling snow and it's still coming down. It depends on how long I'll actually be outside when it comes to gloves and scarf. I wear scarves more for the fashion (infinity scarves) than to keep warm! Some of my friends from warmer areas (Southern California, Florida) that now live in my area go all out in winter clothes and snowboots to take a short walk from their car to the mall entrance or something like that. It boggles my mind but I guess I have a higher tolerance for cold since I usually just throw on a Northface fleece, some uggs and maybe a scarf, and call it a day. It just depends on what you're used to I guess. I always laugh though seeing them in clunky snowboots when there is zero snow accumulation. They want to fit in around here but they're not doing a very good job!

You can always spot the tourists, too, in New York. I work near the WTC and on my walk to and from PATH this time of year I see tourists bundled up like it's the North Pole when it's a warmer day at 40-50 degrees and I'm barely covered up. Classic.
I prefer wearing boots and scarves as fashion statements only - not because I actually need them for warmth! But to each his own.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I prefer wearing boots and scarves as fashion statements only - not because I actually need them for warmth! But to each his own.
Me too! I actually don't even own a pair of snowboots per se, they're waterproof uggs that can function in or out of snow.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Me too! I actually don't even own a pair of snowboots per se, they're waterproof uggs that can function in or out of snow.
LOL I doubt if any of my boots would actually be functional in snow. Not that they have to be.

I'm not saying that my state is superior to yours or anything like that - I just personally really prefer NOT to live where snow is anything more than a one day event once or twice a year.

We've actually already had snow this year - look, I took a picture of it!
Attached Thumbnails
Where does it become "too cold" in the United States?-snow-texas-3.jpg  

Old 12-26-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
LOL I doubt if any of my boots would actually be functional in snow. Not that they have to be.

I'm not saying that my state is superior to yours or anything like that - I just personally really prefer NOT to live where snow is anything more than a one day event once or twice a year.

Haha! We had snow the Wednesday before Thanksgiving - nothing crazy where I live, it barely covered the grass but did accumulate on the streets (got to drive my new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited on a snowy street for the first time I was very excited!) and the next day - Thanksgiving - it was still on the grass. First white Thanksgiving I've ever seen, and it was even snowing Thanksgiving morning. Not sure if you watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but it was visible on TV. Very very cool. Snow in November isn't unheard of (it's not common but it happens - we had snow on Halloween 2011 and it was very damaging since it was a wet heavy snow that brought down trees that still had leaves and power lines, and then November 2012 a week after getting hammered by Sandy) but snow on Thanksgiving is rare you know because it's that one day chance kind of like Christmas.

Other than some random flurries or snow showers that didn't stick, no snow since. I'm waiting though And attached is my view on Thanksgiving morning. It's not sideways when you click on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Where does it become "too cold" in the United States?-image.jpg  

Old 12-26-2014, 11:22 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Quote:

At least it's snowing somewhere. I live in an area that would normally have a good foot of snow cover by now, and the only time we've seen the white stuff so far this entire winter was a very light dusting back in mid-November, that melted off only 2 days later. This has been the wimpiest winter ever so far.

PS. I like snow and cold weather.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Haha! We had snow the Wednesday before Thanksgiving - nothing crazy where I live, it barely covered the grass but did accumulate on the streets (got to drive my new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited on a snowy street for the first time I was very excited!) and the next day - Thanksgiving - it was still on the grass. First white Thanksgiving I've ever seen, and it was even snowing Thanksgiving morning. Not sure if you watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but it was visible on TV. Very very cool. Snow in November isn't unheard of (it's not common but it happens - we had snow on Halloween 2011 and it was very damaging since it was a wet heavy snow that brought down trees that still had leaves and power lines, and then November 2012 a week after getting hammered by Sandy) but snow on Thanksgiving is rare you know because it's that one day chance kind of like Christmas.

Other than some random flurries or snow showers that didn't stick, no snow since. I'm waiting though And attached is my view on Thanksgiving morning. It's not sideways when you click on it.
Nice! See - that's my kind of snow. Small.

It was CRAZY for us to have snow in November. Though about two years ago, we actually had a white Christmas here! Well, sort of white - white with dead grass and leaves poking through.

It's a bit too warm these days for my personal taste when it comes to winter. I don't want temps in the 60s - that feels like spring. I do like for winter to feel like winter - Texas winter that is. Like...the 40s and 50s. Frost in the morning, that sort of thing.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Nice! See - that's my kind of snow. Small.

It was CRAZY for us to have snow in November. Though about two years ago, we actually had a white Christmas here! Well, sort of white - white with dead grass and leaves poking through.

It's a bit too warm these days for my personal taste when it comes to winter. I don't want temps in the 60s - that feels like spring. I do like for winter to feel like winter - Texas winter that is. Like...the 40s and 50s. Frost in the morning, that sort of thing.
Yeah snow here in November is even crazy. Like I said - not unheard of but rare. We had a white Christmas Eve in 2012, I can't remember if it was still there Christmas Day. Possibly, but it may have rained after and washed it away. That's most common in November/December here - snow then rain, or rain the snow, often a mix.

Winter doesn't really start until January. And it's weird, it depends on the year because some winters (like last) we have one or two snowstorms in December with significant snowfall and freezing Christmases and others (like this year) we have no snow in December and warm Christmases at 50-60. December is like March, hit or miss. January and February are our big snow months.

Four years ago yesterday and today (12/26-27) we got a massive blizzard that dumped 33 inches of snow where I live. It was insane, and so cool That winter we had nonstop snow from then until almost April. It would snow on top of old snow and I don't think I saw much grass for months. But I honestly don't mind. I always get sad and nostalgic at what is likely each seasons's last snowstorm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or