U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 11:43 PM

273 posts, read 269,282 times

Advertisements

Living out West for me it gets too cold at any elevation over 3000 feet. East of the Mississippi I would say any city north of Dallas or north of Jacksonville Florida would be too cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 11:52 PM

12,642 posts, read 10,487,316 times
I found some pics I took from that December 2010 snowstorm and would like to share The one of the view of the street may be a different storm that winter, but that was also a bigger accumulation at what appears to be about 2 feet. Other two pictures are almost 3 feet. Drifts were up to six feet that storm. I miss that, call me crazy, but I do
Attached Thumbnails
Where does it become "too cold" in the United States?-166287_1602621017753_4747240_n.jpg   Where does it become "too cold" in the United States?-162882_1602618737696_8308338_n.jpg   Where does it become "too cold" in the United States?-166311_1648874774068_8130681_n.jpg  

Old 12-27-2014, 12:14 AM

2,321 posts, read 3,000,991 times
I am from MD (around the suburbs of DC) and in my mid 20's (1995) went to FL for the winter. I determined that for me it got too cold just above Pt. St Lucie/Ft Pierce in FL. Never wanted to come above that line except for summers.

Then I bought a house here on MD's eastern shore by the coast. Back to the colder winters but it isn't like near DC. Here we hardly get any snow and what little we get is usually gone by noon, and since I work seasonal and am not doing anything in the winter I usually don't get to see it because I'm still in bed.

Then there was last winter.

I'm back to my belief that I don't belong north of Martin County FL because anywhere above there is just too cold.

I'm ready to get back down there. Hopefully next winter.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:22 AM

44,682 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I found some pics I took from that December 2010 snowstorm and would like to share The one of the view of the street may be a different storm that winter, but that was also a bigger accumulation at what appears to be about 2 feet. Other two pictures are almost 3 feet. Drifts were up to six feet that storm. I miss that, call me crazy, but I do
Oh my gosh!

Just...NO!!!!!! I can't even imagine dealing with that!

Here, if there is "icy mix" forecast, within an hour the grocery store shelves are empty of milk, toilet paper, batteries and candles. Gotta be prepared in case we can't drive to the store for a period of two or three consecutive hours!

Old 12-29-2014, 09:11 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I personally don't care for long winters, or wet/icy winters, or snow beyond a couple of days a year. I DO like wearing fall and winter clothes though and I don't care for warm winters either. So for me, the southern states (not the gulf coast line though) are best when it comes to weather.

Here in northeast Texas, we can wear hats and scarves and boots and cute lightweight coats when we want to - but we can also go without boots or a hat or scarf if we'd rather not wear them. When I lived in a colder region, it would literally take me ten minutes to get the kids and me ready to go outside - sweater, scarf, gloves, big coat, hat, boots times five. AUGH. Plus, we had to come back in undo all that - often with muddy, wet clothes. And don't even get me started on having to dig out the car to go anywhere, or snow chains!

I like crisp sunny winters with the occasional snow or sleet (preferably in the evening - LOL - which is actually pretty common) and then I want all that gone within 24 hours. I like cold nights when we can enjoy the fireplace and/or the hot tub - and we have those from about November through March (we can enjoy the hot tub all the way through May some years though). That's all the winter I want.
"I like weather, amazingly, exactly like the weather where I currently reside. Wow. What a coincidence!"

Old 12-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
"I like weather, amazingly, exactly like the weather where I currently reside. Wow. What a coincidence!"
Yep, all part of my plan to continue a very happy and fulfilled life in my favorite region of the US.

I hope everyone else is as lucky as I am to be able to live where they love the weather and the overall environment.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Oh my gosh!

Just...NO!!!!!! I can't even imagine dealing with that!

Here, if there is "icy mix" forecast, within an hour the grocery store shelves are empty of milk, toilet paper, batteries and candles. Gotta be prepared in case we can't drive to the store for a period of two or three consecutive hours!
Haha, I remember during that winter we had mountains of snow piled up in parking lots for months. We just got so much that season. They would plow it and have nowhere to put it. They eventually starting taking it away in dump trucks and I think melting it. It was blocking rows of parking spots until they started taking it away.

Just the other day I saw a huge pile of rock salt in a local parking lot. I guess they're ambitious for this winter.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Haha, I remember during that winter we had mountains of snow piled up in parking lots for months. We just got so much that season. They would plow it and have nowhere to put it. They eventually starting taking it away in dump trucks and I think melting it. It was blocking rows of parking spots until they started taking it away.

Just the other day I saw a huge pile of rock salt in a local parking lot. I guess they're ambitious for this winter.
Brrrrrrr!!!

We had a few ice pellets yesterday. No bueno. I wondered for a minute whether or not I needed to run out and get toilet paper and milk. Even though I have those items in abundance already.

You never know...

Old 12-29-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Brrrrrrr!!!

We had a few ice pellets yesterday. No bueno. I wondered for a minute whether or not I needed to run out and get toilet paper and milk. Even though I have those items in abundance already.

You never know...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

Old 12-29-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
He better get some toilet paper while he's at it.

And some wine.

In fact, skip the bread and milk. If I'm stuck in the house because no one knows how to drive in two inches of snow, as long as I have wine and toilet paper and my Roku box, I'm good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or