U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 07:26 AM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times

Advertisements

I lived in both Indy and Des Moines. Des Moines is colder in the winter, no doubt, but it is far sunnier. Indy is cold enough to often have a consistent snowpack, but is grey almost all winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:09 AM

18,919 posts, read 6,850,118 times
Anywhere where Washingtonia Palms can't be grown.

That line is roughly at I-10 from Texas Eastward, then from New Mexico westward is at the 4,000ft elevation mark.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:42 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Really.

How about 35" in less than 18 hours?

That was our last snow storm here.

Left us in state of emergency, and 3 days housebound, until they cleared the roads. National Guard carried doctors and nurses to work in real military hummers.

This last winter we got 8+ feet of snow. No I'm looking forward to a mild snow winter.

Thank you very much.
Even if this IS an old post.
Personally, I'd love to have three days off from work due to snow. I wouldn't want that to happen every year though.

Since I moved to Pittsburgh twelve years ago, we've only gotten over a foot of snow once.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:25 PM

6,054 posts, read 3,379,100 times
To me, North Dakota and northern Minnesota are the threshold. I think Minneapolis-Saint Paul is just perfect. Its not about the cold in winter, but the warmth in spring. If the flowers and leaves return by April, I'm happy. Thats usually the case in the Twin Cities. I like 4 distinct seasons, with fall and winter being my fav.

As long as most winter days reach the 20s, I'm good. I've yet to be in weather thats too cold for me to enjoy, though this winter might test my limits, we'll have to wait and see!

Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 PM

17,656 posts, read 4,058,482 times
Amarillo Texas is too cold for me.Denver,CO aint too cold for me but Denver is the coldest city I would ever consider living in.Amarillo has all that wind which makes the cold seem much worse than the actual temps.Midland-Odessa, Texas is a bit too cold for me lol.I think I could prolly handle Lubbock,Texas and Roswell, Albuquerque,Ruidoso,New Mexico but thats about it.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:20 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Personally, I'd love to have three days off from work due to snow. I wouldn't want that to happen every year though.

Since I moved to Pittsburgh twelve years ago, we've only gotten over a foot of snow once.
Not t when you have a flat roofed garage to worry about, and a low shed roof over your bonus room.

Plus, we had power, some where without, and going to a gas station was out of the question if you needed gas for a generator.

I wasn't working at that time, but asked about it and the the manager s had to split shifts for the the three days to be sure of coverage as employees could simply not get in. I work at a hotel, so no closing due to weather.

I really don't want it again.
Thank you

Old 07-31-2017, 09:22 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,335,155 times
Win the winter comes in hard here, its too cold in North Georgia. I sometimes think about Florida or the Georgia coast when it gets below freezing. I did my time up north(Minnesota). Its not for me.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:34 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is? In order to snow, it can't be too cold.
It doesn't matter the temperature, lake effect snow finds it's way here.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:41 PM

8,790 posts, read 4,713,823 times
Any state with a high below 40 degrees that is average during the Fall/Winter/Spring season. Anything below 60 on average in the Summer.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:52 PM

68 posts, read 36,330 times
For me personally, nowhere in the U.S. is too cold, not even Barrow, Alaska. But I'm an anomaly with my love of serious cold, so if some random person asked for places not "too cold" I'd assume they meant a climate like the Carolinas or warmer, somewhere with short winters and only a bit of snowfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or