Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,859,262 times

Advertisements

If you're response is something along the lines of, "Everyone is a beautiful snow flake with all their own unique designs and intricacies, blah, blah, blah", you need not respond to this.

Say someone on shows up on City-Data wanting to know where a good place to live would be, but not one that is too "cold". Where is this line drawn?

And I ask this because a lot of people through various "Top" lists of all varieties having people stating that they could never live in Chicago because it's too "cold". Fair enough. I would also assume those people wouldn't want to live in Minneapolis/St. Paul either because that is measurably colder than Chicago.

But what about Indianapolis? Is it really that "warmer" than Chicago? Or Des Moines? Kansas City? St. Louis? Omaha? Reno?

Where does this *universal (democratically agreed upon)* "too cold" line run?

Does a state/city just have a stigma it can't shake, while other areas are just as cold if not more so, while never being mentioned as "too cold"?

Does it have to do with the size of the city, and what it offers? That is; people are more willing to accept "too cold" if it offers a lot of things, while dismissing other places as "too cold" as well, but are in fact statistically warmer than the bigger city?

It seems to me that drawing a line on a map to divide too cold/not too cold would look a lot like a stock market graph during cycles of boom and bust.

What average yearly temperature would be considered the cut off line for "too cold"?

Climate of 100 Selected U.S. Cities — FactMonster.com

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
For me Barrow, Alaska is too cold
There is people who want nothing to do with Minneapolis, Chicago, Buffalo, Milwaukee because of our "Brutal" winters. Even though they may have alot to offer
Idk about Omaha, Indy or Des Moines but very few people call St Louis, Kansas City and Reno "Too cold"

Old 03-06-2012, 05:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
If you're response is something along the lines of, "Everyone is a beautiful snow flake with all their own unique designs and intricacies, blah, blah, blah", you need not respond to this.

Say someone on shows up on City-Data wanting to know where a good place to live would be, but not one that is too "cold". Where is this line drawn?

And I ask this because a lot of people through various "Top" lists of all varieties having people stating that they could never live in Chicago because it's too "cold". Fair enough. I would also assume those people wouldn't want to live in Minneapolis/St. Paul either because that is measurably colder than Chicago.

But what about Indianapolis? Is it really that "warmer" than Chicago? Or Des Moines? Kansas City? St. Louis? Omaha? Reno?

Where does this *universal (democratically agreed upon)* "too cold" line run?

Does a state/city just have a stigma it can't shake, while other areas are just as cold if not more so, while never being mentioned as "too cold"?

Does it have to do with the size of the city, and what it offers? That is; people are more willing to accept "too cold" if it offers a lot of things, while dismissing other places as "too cold" as well, but are in fact statistically warmer than the bigger city?

It seems to me that drawing a line on a map to divide too cold/not too cold would look a lot like a stock market graph during cycles of boom and bust.

What average yearly temperature would be considered the cut off line for "too cold"?

Climate of 100 Selected U.S. Cities — FactMonster.com

What do you think?
Hard to say because of the different way humans feel about the cold. To me it is too cold in Iowa and I live in Iowa. I also think it is too cold in Chicago but the cold in Ann Arbor, Michigan was very different to me than the cold in Iowa or Chicago. I thought Florida was too cold when I was there however, it was colder there temperature wise than it was in Illinois where I was living at the time. Overall though I think my general choice of too cold having never been there though would be Alaska, Maryland and Maine.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 PM

36,625 posts, read 67,123,456 times
For me anything under 50F for a daytime high is probably too cold.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,787,426 times
Barrow, Alaska. Almost every month is below freezing, and the warmest averages only in the 40s for highs. Even Interior Alaska has average highs in the upper 60s and lower to mid 70s in the summer months, with record high extremes of up to 100 degrees!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,060,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
For me Barrow, Alaska is too cold
There is people who want nothing to do with Minneapolis, Chicago, Buffalo, Milwaukee because of our "Brutal" winters. Even though they may have alot to offer
Idk about Omaha, Indy or Des Moines but very few people call St Louis, Kansas City and Reno "Too cold"
Not from where I stand. A lot of people who get mild, not moderate, winters like these places would likely consider them a bit too cold and snowy. consider these places too cold...as far as Indy goes, Indy is reaches about the same temperatures as Kansas City in January, without the same brutal wind chills KC can get, and isn't substantially colder than STL, although it is slightly colder. Omaha and Des Moines I would generally agree might be considered too cold. In general, it seems like starting at the latitudes of the Great Lakes is where winter becomes unbearably cold for more than 50% of the country...snow on the ground most of the time, and long deep freezes. My opinion of the places that would be too cold for me to live in would be in the far northern stretches of the country, like Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin, the UP of Michigan, and Upstate New York. Probably Cleveland and Erie as well, and Boston...all see more snowfall than I'm willing to tolerate.

Alaska I'd almost certainly never live in..probably nowhere in Canada either except maybe Windsor.

Regardless, it's relative to where you live. Same thing with it being too hot. I've heard people living in Phoenix calling people babies because 117 degrees of dry heat isn't all that bad to them...it's not humid, after all

Old 03-06-2012, 06:40 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,561,718 times
Minnesota winters seem especially harsh.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM

261 posts, read 355,431 times
My rule of thumb is it's too cold when nose hairs freeze. It was 8 degrees when we left for work this morning. That was too cold. I prefer a low of 50.

I think duration of cold temps plays a factor too. I can take a month or two of cooler weather, but by month 6 I am ready to drive south until I feel warm.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 PM

23,060 posts, read 28,770,326 times
Come to Las Vegas sometime in January, when the temp falls to the mid-to-high 20's at night, and pack a, not unusual, 40-50mph wind behind it and it will give Minnesota a run for its money!

I lived in Minnesota for 43 years, and how many times have I said it, in winter here: Oh crap! I'm back in Minnesota!

It's the dry air which contributes to the discomfort and pain!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,733,309 times
There is a difference in the Great Lakes midwestern cities vs the interior midwest cities in terms of weather.

Kansas City compared to Chicago is basically tropical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.