U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 PM

90 posts, read 72,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
For the Northeast, there is a wide range of races and cultures represented, but for the most part, they tend to "stick to their own".
Don't Mexicans do that in the West though? In addition to all the ethnic enclaves in the Los Angeles area (Glendale for Armenians, Westminster for Vietnamese, Koreatown for Koreans, San Gabriel Valley for Chinese, etc. etc.). It still doesn't explain all the disparity between the West and Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post
Don't Mexicans do that in the West though? In addition to all the ethnic enclaves in the Los Angeles area (Glendale for Armenians, Westminster for Vietnamese, Koreatown for Koreans, San Gabriel Valley for Chinese, etc. etc.). It still doesn't explain all the disparity between the West and Northeast.
Maybe it's just a matter of not getting married in other regions.

Also, Hispanic can be any race and in turn can skew the numbers given the living patterns of "Hispanics" in the US.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,138,339 times
I married a Jewish woman (I am a Christian), and I think it's as much/more of a culture shock for me and my family than if I married a Christian [fill in the blank] person. Food for thought.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe it's just a matter of not getting married in other regions.

Also, Hispanic can be any race and in turn can skew the numbers given the living patterns of "Hispanics" in the US.
Marriages and Divorce: A 50-State Tour | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

California: 49% of Adult Men, 46% of Adult Women married
New York: 49% of Adult Men, 43% of Adult Women married
New Jersey: 53% of Adult men, 48% of Adult Women married

I was exploring that, but that isn't statistically significant enough to explain the rate of interracial marriage, given that the rates of marriage are actually comparable.

And I think they took the Hispanic thing into account.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 PM

4,277 posts, read 5,168,386 times
Quote:
The San Gabriel Valley is not all Chinese. Certain cities within it are heavily Chinese. Certain cities within it are heavily Hispanic, etc. While the areas you listed due tend to have heavy ethnic areas, they are right next to other areas that are not of the same ethnicity. Almost everyone I know is in an interracial relationship.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The San Gabriel Valley is not all Chinese. Certain cities within it are heavily Chinese. Certain cities within it are heavily Hispanic, etc. While the areas you listed due tend to have heavy ethnic areas, they are right next to other areas that are not of the same ethnicity. Almost everyone I know is in an interracial relationship.
I don't know..there are places like East Los Angeles and Maywood which are 100% Hispanic and are surrounded by other areas that are almost 100% Hispanic and seem as cut off from the rest of society and other races moreso than the Bronx is from the rest of NYC.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Quote:
Don't Mexicans do that in the West though?
Nah, it's pretty common that Hispanic people marry out just as well, though usually they are second-generation or more. Hispanic guy/white girl, and white guy/Hispanic girl couples are pretty common here.

Quote:
In addition to all the ethnic enclaves in the Los Angeles area (Glendale for Armenians, Westminster for Vietnamese, Koreatown for Koreans, San Gabriel Valley for Chinese, etc. etc.). It still doesn't explain all the disparity between the West and Northeast.
Again, IMHO/from what I've seen, a lot of it has to do with whether someone was born or raised here, or born or raised overseas. Someone who moves from Armenia, Vietnam, Korea, or China etc. as an adult, even if they speak the language, is going to be moving to a country and culture foreign to them with different social mores, and this is the case basically anywhere. Someone from Korea probably isn't going to go and start trying to chat up a bunch of white/black/hispanic Americans when they don't necessarily know how to do so in this culture, or what to say when they do. They date and marry someone else from their culture, because they know how it works in that society.

Their kids, on the other hand, will grow up in a school in the LA area with other kids whose parents are from elsewhere, or from there, whatever. They grow up watching the same shows, listening to the same music, and it just so turns out that they get a monster crush on the black girl in homeroom, or that Korean kid on the basketball team.

I was raised alternately in the greater Seattle and Boston areas. I started junior high in Washington, in a school that was a pretty even split of everyone in a city called Auburn, south of Seattle. My first "gf" was black, and all the girls I took to dances were Asian. We moved to Boston, and I was literally the only white guy in my grade in my school, which I was fine with initially... but it was a totally different culture than what I was used to out West. Most of the black kids in my class were _th generation from that area in Boston, which was historically black, and hadn't really had any white friends growing up. They just didn't really know what to do with me since I was not only white, but also from another part of the country. I remember when I asked a girl I was cool with out, and she said that she'd love to date me, but she couldn't... because I was white. It was a totally bizarre statement to me, but towards the end of Freshman year in high school when I did date a black girl from my math class, I understood what that girl had meant...

Most of my friends from back home in MA are either engaged or married, and of them, all but two couples are with someone of the same race (I know a Puerto Rican girl engaged to an ethnically Irish guy, and a black guy engaged to a white Jewish gal... who moved out to the Bay Area ). Contrast this with out west here, where over half the people I know are with someone of another race.

One of my friends in SF, whom I met right after he'd moved from Ireland, asked me point blank why I was dating an Asian. Another coworker from Ireland chimed in, "well, that's all there is to date here." He moved down to LA, and is now engaged to a Chicana he met at a bar, who won't shut up about how hot she thinks his accent is.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Quote:
I don't know..there are places like East Los Angeles and Maywood which are 100% Hispanic and are surrounded by other areas that are almost 100% Hispanic and seem as cut off from the rest of society and other races moreso than the Bronx is from the rest of NYC.
Again though, many of the people who are born and raised in those areas, who learn to speak English, go to school, realize they can get a degree just as well as anyone else, etc. end up moving to different parts of LA, or out of the city altogether to surrounding suburbs or other cities/states outright.

Of them, I'd bet that a majority still end up ultimately marrying and starting a family with someone of the same ethnic/cultural background, but many of them end up marrying out. I dated a Vietnamese-American girl from Westminster who moved to Los Angeles after she was done going to Calstate LB, who liked going back for the food, but dismissed it as "too FOB" and, well, was dating me. As people like her and her siblings move and marry out, new immigrants are happy to take their place in that community.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Hmm, I can accept those things as an explanation. I guess it more or less has to do with the long standing, established nature of the neighborhoods and social norms here in the Northeast that have impeded intermarriage despite the international showing of the population.

I've read that Los Angeles is the 10th most segregated metropolitan area in the country, but paradoxically, is in the state with the 6th highest interracial marriage statistic in the country. I was figuring that LA would be a bit more like New York City.

I was also thinking it may have something to do with the higher % of Whites in Northeastern states, until realizing that 80% White Oregon has a higher rate of IR marriage than every Northeastern state.

Oh well.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Marriages and Divorce: A 50-State Tour | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

California: 49% of Adult Men, 46% of Adult Women married
New York: 49% of Adult Men, 43% of Adult Women married
New Jersey: 53% of Adult men, 48% of Adult Women married

I was exploring that, but that isn't statistically significant enough to explain the rate of interracial marriage, given that the rates of marriage are actually comparable.

And I think they took the Hispanic thing into account.
I mean in terms of interracial couples. Meaning, such couples in the Northeast aren't necessarily apt to be married. I think it depends on where you are within these regions too. For instance in my area, you such couples that have been together for 40+ years, as well as younger people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or