U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 PM

90 posts, read 72,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I mean in terms of interracial couples. Meaning, such couples in the Northeast aren't necessarily apt to be married. I think it depends on where you are within these regions too. For instance in my area, you such couples that have been together for 40+ years, as well as younger people.
But there are no statistics to prove that one way or the other. That kind of thing happens all across the country, and isn't special to the Northeast. There has to be another force at work, which is a social dimension that can not necessarily be measured.

However, with my generation, it's changing. I just find the results a bit interesting, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,859,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post
I don't know..there are places like East Los Angeles and Maywood which are 100% Hispanic and are surrounded by other areas that are almost 100% Hispanic and seem as cut off from the rest of society and other races moreso than the Bronx is from the rest of NYC.
I know that most Hispanics in Southern California are heavily against their own marrying blacks.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,142,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Well, for the record, I'm a Cajun/German (white) from CO and my wife is 100% certified South Korean (Asian). I guess we're in those "intermarriage" figures. I will say, after 7 seven years of marriage, we have never been treated with anything but courtesy whenever we've traveled both here and abroad. And that reflects favorably on current society in my opinion
Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Thats crazy.
My late Father was Cajun, surname "Riche", born and raised in Baton Rouge, graduated from LSU, fought in WWII and Korea, then moved to CO in his 30's (first one in his immediate family to leave LA). My Mother is first-generation American, "Volga-Deutsch" from Russia. Is that a problem??

Last edited by Kar54; 03-08-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I know that most Hispanics in California are heavily against their own marrying blacks.
Well, after looking at these statistics, in terms of percentage, Blacks/Whites don't intermarry that much. In fact, Blacks don't intermarry out that much. Period.

In fact, relative to population size, blacks marry out more in the West than they do in both the Northeast, Midwest, and South.

Are there many Hispanic/Asian couples out West? Out here, while I do see those couples, they are sort of rare.

Last edited by MostInterestingPoster3; 03-08-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 PM

9,780 posts, read 13,368,018 times
Quote:
Well, after looking at these statistics, in terms of percentage, Blacks/Whites don't intermarry that much. In fact, Blacks don't intermarry out that much. Period.

In fact, relative to population size, blacks marry out more in the West than they do in both the Northeast, Midwest, and South.

Are there many Hispanic/Asian couples out West? Out here, while I do see those couples, they are sort of rare.
Somewhat common; I dated a girl from East LA who was Mexican/Chinese. The lead singer of the Sacramento-originated band The Deftones is also Mexican-Chinese, and I know an Asian guy who has dated a few latinas, as is his preference. If you go to areas like El Monte or parts of the SGV where there are huge Hispanic and Asian communities, again, kids who grow up and go to school there are gonna date what's around.

And, just because they're a really good band...

Deftones - Bored (Video) - YouTube

Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Somewhat common; I dated a girl from East LA who was Mexican/Chinese. The lead singer of the Sacramento-originated band The Deftones is also Mexican-Chinese, and I know an Asian guy who has dated a few latinas, as is his preference. If you go to areas like El Monte or parts of the SGV where there are huge Hispanic and Asian communities, again, kids who grow up and go to school there are gonna date what's around.

And, just because they're a really good band...

Deftones - Bored (Video) - YouTube
Well, I went to high school in Queens in a school that had an extremely large Asian contingent with a smaller Hispanic contingent. It seemed that those two groups didn't really interact that much.

Just thought it was interesting that they do in California, given that both groups are extremely different.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM

9,780 posts, read 13,368,018 times
Quote:
Well, I went to high school in Queens in a school that had an extremely large Asian contingent with a smaller Hispanic contingent. It seemed that those two groups didn't really interact that much.

Just thought it was interesting that they do in California, given that both groups are extremely different.
Well, like I said in another post, my experience has been that people out west are more open to interracial dating in general than people in the Northeast. that doesn't necessarily mean that they're any less tolerant, it just happens less often...

Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 AM

56,705 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:

Black people are the least likely to get married in general.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 AM

56,705 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Here's an interesting couple: Yes.. They Exist! Meet An Interracial Hasidic Couple [VIDEO] | ELEV8

Old 03-09-2012, 08:16 AM

686 posts, read 958,847 times
are stats in OP expressing a proportion of all marriages in the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or