Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,941 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Im currently in college now and I'm considering places to live in the near future. I'm originally from Indiana however, I'm attending college in North Carolina. The features I'm looking for in my dream location might be conflicting, but if I could find this place I will be so happy.
I want to live near water whether it's and ocean or a lake it doesn't matter, as long as its water. I also think of a home with enough space to have horses. It would also be a good idea to be in relatively close proximity to a city since I love shopping, spa's and plenty of nightlife.

Crime rates low, and good educational schools would be preferred.

I know these are hard to find everywhere, it's just hard when I'm a city girl and my boyfriend is a country boy.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 PM

441 posts, read 886,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer110964 View Post
Hi,
Im currently in college now and I'm considering places to live in the near future. I'm originally from Indiana however, I'm attending college in North Carolina. The features I'm looking for in my dream location might be conflicting, but if I could find this place I will be so happy.
I want to live near water whether it's and ocean or a lake it doesn't matter, as long as its water. I also think of a home with enough space to have horses. It would also be a good idea to be in relatively close proximity to a city since I love shopping, spa's and plenty of nightlife.

Crime rates low, and good educational schools would be preferred.

I know these are hard to find everywhere, it's just hard when I'm a city girl and my boyfriend is a country boy.

Thanks a bunch!
Somewhere in Minnesota?

The state is known as the land of 10,000 lakes and borders Lake Superior. I think it's highest per capita in terms of boat ownership.

It's citizens are highly literate and those on the MN boards say they have the best schools in the nation. The Twin Cities seem to be doing very well and continue to attract people and although they do have severe winters you could likely find a lot of things to do and love there. It's definitely a state I want to visit and wouldn't mind living in.

Oh, and further to the point of shopping, the US' second largest mall (in terms of retail space), Mall of America is located in Bloomington, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis. Also, a recent CNN Money survey listed 5 Minnesota suburbs as best in the nation (ie of the top 100 5 were in MN) and some have been rated best but didn't make the rankings this year.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2011/states/MN.html

Good luck in your search otherwise

Last edited by icecreamsandwich; 02-24-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
These places could be happy mediums, as you could live just outside of them and enjoy the small city or get to a bigger city in an hour or less: Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate
City of Saratoga Springs

Saratoga Springs - NY - Dining - Shopping - Entertainment - Lodging - Professional Services

saratoga springs ny downtown - Google Maps

Saratoga Springs, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

Oswego, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of Plattsburgh

Plattsburgh (city), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce

Home | Village of Fredonia, NY

Fredonia, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dunkirk Today - The Official Website of the City of Dunkirk

Dunkirk, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Both communities are right next to each other on Lake Erie and are within an hour or less of Buffalo, Erie PA and Jamestown)

Here are some others that you may like: Webster, NY - Official Website
Village of Webster

Webster, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brewerton, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Village of Cleveland, New York
Cleveland, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Town of Constantia, New York
Constantia (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (All are in the same school district and is close to Syracuse)

Town Of Cicero, New York
Cicero, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles
Welcome to the Village of Skaneateles! | The Village of Skaneateles
Town Of Skaneateles Government Site
Skaneateles (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Affluent community near Syracuse, but has rural areas as well and some of the best schools in Upstate NY. It also has spas and even a little bit of nightlife right there)

Very similar to Skaneateles and near Syracuse: Cazenovia Chamber of Commerce
Village of Cazenovia
Town Of Cazenovia: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Cazenovia, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce : Supporting tourism, a healthy business climate and responsible economic growth.
Town of Canandaigua, New York, USA
Canandaigua, NY*
Canandaigua (city), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Canandaigua New York - Your Guide to Beautiful Downtown Canandaigua, NY

Town of Greece, NY
Greece Chamber of Commerce :: Greece, New York
Greece (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Town of Ithaca
Ithaca (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and a town nearby:
Town of Lansing, New York - Home
Village of Lansing
Lansing (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Watkins Glen - Finger Lakes NY
Watkins Glen, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Watkins Glen and Schuyler County, NY - Our people places and events
Village of Watkins Glen

Seneca Falls, NY - Historic Gateway to the Finger Lakes (There used to be a village and a town of, but they became one on New Year's Day)
Seneca Falls (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll leave it there, but all have good to very good schools, if not some of the best in Upstate NY. All are within a reasonable drive of a bigger city or cities and all are on a lake. There are others, but I think that is enough. Many also have a college and all have at least one close by. Some might even be good enough in terms of the urban amenities, that you don't have to go to a bigger city in many cases, but are rural once you leave the city limits of the small cities.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,102 times
You don't mention what you're studying in college, but it may be a good idea to start by cross-referencing likely job locations with the ideas CD members will be giving you in this thread. When you put all of that data together the right place may jump right out at you, and you'll be able to target that area. Good luck with your search!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 AM

130 posts, read 275,308 times
The whole Upstate New York is great for family but it is way too isolated plus the economy is really depressed. You should check out Hamilton MA if you like horse riding because it has one of the oldest active polo field andyou numerous gorgeous beach. You are also 30 minutes away from shopping (Neiman Marcus, Barneys New York, Sake,...etc) and also there is a really nice aquarium nearby. Good luck with your search.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Won't a home with acreage be expensive unless it's in the boonies? Are y'all graduating from medical school or does someone have an inheritance?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLight View Post
The whole Upstate New York is great for family but it is way too isolated plus the economy is really depressed. You should check out Hamilton MA if you like horse riding because it has one of the oldest active polo field andyou numerous gorgeous beach. You are also 30 minutes away from shopping (Neiman Marcus, Barneys New York, Sake,...etc) and also there is a really nice aquarium nearby. Good luck with your search.
Where are you getting that from? Actually, the unemployment rates in most, if not all Upstate NY metros is below average. So, that's not true. Of course it will depend on your line of work, but all is not bad here.

Plus, there is some flexibility, as depending on where you go in Upstate NY, the major/world class city can vary. So, if you go with say Plattsburgh, Montreal is within an hour or so. If you live near Buffalo or WNY, Toronto isn't too far away. If you live in the areas closer to Downstate, then NYC or Philadelphia aren't too far away. Boston isn't too far away from parts of Upstate NY too. This is in case you don't feel that the major Upstate cities don't do it for you.

With all of this said, Saratoga Springs fits perfectly, as it is called the Spa City, has a lake right there and the schools are very good. Horse racing and that scene is big as well. Cost of living is just above average, but you have more affordable alternatives close by like Ballston Spa.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:32 AM

Also, after looking at a post by the OP in regards to a similar question in the MA forum, if you go with Upstate NY, the Western part of the state(Buffalo and Rochester) would be a good choice. There's an aquarium in Niagara Falls, great malls in that part of the state(including 2 outlet malls), plenty of nightlife(especially the Buffalo area with its 4 AM last call), there are zoos in both cities, there's Darien Lake Amusement Park in between both cities and a couple of smaller amusement Parks right in both immediate areas, there are Lakeside beaches and places with enough land for horses. Cost of living overall is around average, if not below average.

Here's some information: Walden Galleria

Eastern Hills Mall :: 4545 Transit Road, Williamsville, NY. 14221 :: (716) 633-1600

Welcome to Mckinley Mall (Stoltz)

Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls

Eastview : Eastview Mall

The Mall at Greece Ridge : Greece Ridge Center

Pittsford Plaza : Stores

Waterloo Premium Outlets

Aquarium of Niagara

Welcome To The Buffalo Zoo

Seneca Park Zoo | The Natural Place for Families | Zoo Rochester NY

Darien Lake Theme Park & Resort

Seabreeze Amusement Park - Home

Roseland Waterpark

Martin's Fantasy Island - Western New York's Favorite & Affordable Family Theme Park! (http://www.martinsfantasyisland.com/2010/index.html - broken link)

Parks | Monroe County, NY
http://www.charlottecca.org/

Niagara Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Genesee Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Orleans County Recreation & Leisure Activities

You also have wineries close by in the Finger Lakes and some in nearby Ontario Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.