Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,113 times

Advertisements

Okay so, weather typically doesn't bother me, I can live without sunshine or with lots of it. Typically selling points for me is making friends, good dating scene, low property taxes and good job opportunities. And I don't mind living somewhat outside of the city areas, infact I'd rather live in an area where I could own a home not rent an apartment due to space limitations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 PM

350 posts, read 740,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkfox View Post
Okay so, weather typically doesn't bother me, I can live without sunshine or with lots of it. Typically selling points for me is making friends, good dating scene, low property taxes and good job opportunities. And I don't mind living somewhat outside of the city areas, infact I'd rather live in an area where I could own a home not rent an apartment due to space limitations.
Come look at the Plains - Omaha/Lincoln, NE or even the Tri-Cities (Kearney, Hastings, Grand Island, NE)
Sioux Falls, SD
Fargo, ND
Grand Forks, ND

Warmer weather but not quite as good economy in Oklahoma (OKC), Texas (Dallas/Ft Worth, San Antonio, Austin (is a little more $$).

None of these places have low property taxes but most of them (namely the North and Central Plains have great job opportunities). What you'll find in place of low property taxes is excellent schools, low selling price of homes overall (so the property taxes while higher as a percentage of home value won't seem overly burdensome), and excellent services. Most states that have low property taxes are facing terrible unemployment and have terrible schools and services. You get what you pay for but the Plains is a great place to start a career, make friends, meet your future spouse, buy or rent a home, and get started with life!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Nashville comes to mind for me. Friendly, a young vibe, low cost of living and a low-ish unemployment rate of 7%. There are some nice, trendy in-town neighborhoods with affordable homes. Check out 12South, East Nashville and Sylvan Park.

Nashville Visitor and Tourist Info - Attractions, Guides and More
Nashville Scene

Old 03-20-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Come look at the Plains - Omaha/Lincoln, NE or even the Tri-Cities (Kearney, Hastings, Grand Island, NE)
Sioux Falls, SD
Fargo, ND
Grand Forks, ND

Warmer weather but not quite as good economy in Oklahoma (OKC), Texas (Dallas/Ft Worth, San Antonio, Austin (is a little more $$).

None of these places have low property taxes but most of them (namely the North and Central Plains have great job opportunities). What you'll find in place of low property taxes is excellent schools, low selling price of homes overall (so the property taxes while higher as a percentage of home value won't seem overly burdensome), and excellent services. Most states that have low property taxes are facing terrible unemployment and have terrible schools and services. You get what you pay for but the Plains is a great place to start a career, make friends, meet your future spouse, buy or rent a home, and get started with life!
This pretty much nails what I'm trying to do, settle down, own a home, plant my roots somewhere nice. Linclon seems nice, the other places I've been looking into like costal states, which are expensive cost of living just seem terribly unfriendly or have some critical problems atm. But alas I'm just trying to gather a majority of veiws. So thank you for responding

Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What type of work would you be looking for?

Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Indianapolis has the nations most affordable housing market and also is the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest. Were the First Northern City to be put on the Super Bowl host rotation list. heck there is talk of another bid for a Super Bowl in 2018 or 2020. Indianapolis has a strong job market and a very friendly down to earth culture Plus were within a days drive to 75% of the US population and only 3 hours away from Chicago and St Louis.

Indianapolis is also home to some of the largest sporting events in the world like the Indy 500 every year which brings in over 400,000 people. Plus our city is #2 in the nation for monuments within the city, behind only Washington D.C
Cost of living is also the lowest of any major US city and taxes are very low too. All well maintaining a balanced budget and having a AAA bond rating from all 3 credit agencies for both the state and city.
Plus were America's sports capital

Old 03-21-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What type of work would you be looking for?
Haven't decided that yet, I know what I want to do on the side, which I'd be able to do from a home office but a career, well I've gotta go to college for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.