Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:52 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahal2010 View Post
Please participate in this thread with anything..a self experience, a story about a friend that had the same problem, a view of the cities that were mentioned or weren't. Any thing could help and could mean a change in my life.

Important Q: when I graduate, which state has more potentials for a business major, TX or WA?
I still stand behind Seattle , however , Chicago is the best place to live for success in business. " If you can't make it in Chicago , you can't make it anywhere" .as the saying goes. Its true !
If I were starting over , ( and a lot younger ) , I would land in Chicago, learn , work hard, save , and retire wherever I wanted for the best quality of life for myself and family...in a nut shell........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 12:12 PM

54 posts, read 249,430 times
Quote:
USA has something for everyone, also has a city of everyone. It is great that the people here are willing to help others out of their kindness proving Americans being the nicest people on earth.

Facts:
- I am an international student, sophomore business, studied for a year in Indianapolis(IUPUI) and got a very good GPA and looking to transfer to a GOOD school in business.
- I came to America looking for a city full of life, culture, art, diversity and a very vibrant downtown and didn't find that in Indy.
- I have a full scholarship for tuition, but for life expenses(including rent) I have only 15k a year.
- I would LOVE to move to NYC or LA or SF but since I don't like sleeping on the pavement...

My options after search:
ORLANDO: it has UCF and and Rollins college, my fears: Orlando has huge parks but no culture and its downtown is not that vibrant. Also UCF is not known for its business major, but Rollins which has a good reputation offers only a liberal arts degree in business and some people talk about its rich kids and their arrogance with international students.
AUSTIN: it has UT which is very good but a lot say UT is too big and the city is not as vibrant as I dream. Texas in general has a very hot weather and not much of beautiful outdoors and some would talk about their acceptance of foreigners in the society.
DALLAS: It has SMU which is somewhat like Rollins but more people talk about its arrogant students and also Dallas does not have culture and its more of a suburban city like Orlando but bigger.
SEATTLE: It has UW and Seattle U, my fear is the gloomy weather and the cost of living but everything else about it seems great.

Any opinion or additional info or even other options are welcome. I really love the US and hope to experience its best.
Thank you ALL.

Before making your decision about Orlando, google (Orlando culture). You'll find that the posts on this thread are incorrect about Orlando not having culture. UCF is the 6th largest university in the U.S. by enrollment. Located on the east side of Orlando. Approx. 40 mins. from the beach. Rollins college is a small private school in the cool College Park section of Winter Park. I doubt this school is anywhere near your budget. I would not recommend Orlando for higher education for out of towners, because of all the distractions. Unless you think you can handle it. If you want the beach & culture, try Bethune-Cookman College in Daytona beach. Lots of history & culture & it's only an hour away from Orlando.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:45 PM

69 posts, read 345,226 times
It's just an opinion, but I really like Orlando's "culture." *lol* Ragland Road's pub, with authentic Irish people and music, EPCOT (with authentic people), all of those restaurants. Disney's probably one of few empires which can afford to take apart an actually 1800's pub from Ireland, put it on a ship, and float it here to have it rebuilt.

You would NEVER run out of things to do. You would probably run out of money though. (Everything fun costs money these days. But you could probably get the year passes and stuff for the residents who live there.)

I've been to Tallahassee, to visit. Met a lot of the kids at a few of it's gaming center. The town looks pretty cute.

I have to say, overall, Orlando is not a very pretty city, once you're away from Disney and Universal. It's a lot of traffic, with strip malls built in front of strip malls in front of parking lots, built in front of a strip mall. But that was my impression on that side of town, driving through it.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:34 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjuliek View Post
It's just an opinion, but I really like Orlando's "culture." *lol* Ragland Road's pub, with authentic Irish people and music, EPCOT (with authentic people), all of those restaurants. Disney's probably one of few empires which can afford to take apart an actually 1800's pub from Ireland, put it on a ship, and float it here to have it rebuilt.

You would NEVER run out of things to do. You would probably run out of money though. (Everything fun costs money these days. But you could probably get the year passes and stuff for the residents who live there.)

I've been to Tallahassee, to visit. Met a lot of the kids at a few of it's gaming center. The town looks pretty cute.

I have to say, overall, Orlando is not a very pretty city, once you're away from Disney and Universal. It's a lot of traffic, with strip malls built in front of strip malls in front of parking lots, built in front of a strip mall. But that was my impression on that side of town, driving through it.
Almost all of Florida is like that ( strip malls ). Give me the Everglades , whats left of it. " Someday , its all going to be blown away, can't wait"

Old 09-14-2007, 08:38 AM

54 posts, read 249,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjuliek View Post

Disney or that side of town you drove through as a tourist is in the suburbs of Orlando, 20 miles from the city center. There are no strip malls in the city. Just so you know, strip malls are a part of every city's suburbs in America. Orlando's suburbs are no different. You mentioned traffic. What city doesn't have rush hour traffic? Just because Disney is the #1 tourist attraction in the world, doesn't give each visitor enough info to form an educated opinion on Orlando. Driving from Hwy 192 on I-4 to International Dr. doesn't make you even remotely knowledgeable about Orlando. Keep your opinions to what you know, Disney, Universal Studios & Sea World.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:16 PM

14 posts, read 42,071 times
I hope that everyone can participate in a helpful way. I believe that every city in the world has its advantages and disadvantages which for some will weigh more in one side and vice versa. What I'm really trying to do and I think most of the people in this beautiful forum is to find the city that fits best not the city that is the best. That is my humble opinion. I hope that we can talk about all the cities that were mentioned because honestly, I'm more confused now .

Old 09-14-2007, 03:11 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times
Quote:
USA

SEATTLE: It has UW and Seattle U, my fear is the gloomy weather and the cost of living but everything else about it seems great.
Well, out of that list, Seattle would get my vote hands down. The setting of the University of Washington campus, near Lake Washington, is beautiful. In the early spring the campus grounds are filled with Cherry Blossoms, which only adds to its beauty. The architecture of the campus and liveliness of the University District are also big pluses.

The Seattle University campus is smaller, but in an attractive area of the city for young people (Capitol Hill). That's where I predominately lived in Seattle. It's a great neighborhood full of life, not far from the U District, and close to Downtown and Belltown.

The winters can get gloomy, but it's not as bad as you may believe. Don't get me wrong, there were times during the winter in Seattle when I could honestly not remember the last time it wasn't raining, but the rain is not a constant downpour - more like a sprinkle. But, let me tell you, suffering in the gloom of winter is worth it for the spring/summer in Seattle.

I have never seen a more beautiful place than Seattle in the spring and summer. The spring is beautiful because flowers explode all over the city and it's so lush green. I was completely in awe my first May there, because the midwest is just green, Seattle is bursting with color. In fact, it's colorful all year round. It was a hard adjustment coming from the midwest for the fact that I would see flowers start popping up in February and internally it was as if I thought it was April and summer was right around the corner.

Summer is great because day after day after day (or so it seems) it is mid-70s to low-80s, with no humidity and crystal clear blue skies. I miss the summers there so much....they really are perfect, and spending an afternoon at Alki Beach is west Seattle, or in one of the cities parks is a great way to enjoy them.

What I prefer about Seattle, in comparisions to the other cities is that people in Seattle walk. I loved that about Seattle and love it about San Francisco. I got rid of my car about a year after I moved there when I realized I hadn't filled up my gas tank in over 6 months because I was walking every where. It's also got great distinctive neighborhoods and a great shopping district Downtown.

Other huge benefits to Seattle are - and you won't get this in other places - excursions. It was awesome to be able to hop in the car and within three hours been in Portland, Vancouver, or on the Olympic Peninsula...which is great for hiking and camping. Plus the scenery on the Peninsula is breathtaking.

IMO, Seattle is the most beautiful city in the country, in terms of the natural surroundings. Seeing Mt. Rainer hovering over the city from Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill is breathtaking, as is the sound with the Olympic Mountains in the west, and the Cascades in the east.

Seattle's just a lot of fun all around.....plus, it has a great music scene.

Lastly, I would rule out Chicago simply because it's brutally cold there in the winter. One winter away made me realize how much show, ice and cold suck. However, it snowed twice in the 5 years I was in Seattle, but it was kind of fun...it melted within 24 hours both times.

Last edited by beone; 09-14-2007 at 03:20 PM..

Old 09-15-2007, 05:11 PM

14 posts, read 42,071 times
I'm surely going to apply to Seattle U. But about Texas, I'm still confused about weather I should go to SMU in Dallas or UT in Austin, can anyone help?
Again if you have any additional options or opinions you are very welcome to help.
Thank you all and especially who responded to this thread.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,041,265 times
Quote:
...what is the main difference between Seattle and Austin as far as the city and the cost of living. Any thoughts about the big universities VS small ones?

Any further comment are deeply appreciated.
Hey Sahal! Have you made your decision yet?

I was born and raised in Dallas, TX. I actually grew up in the Park Cities - very near to the SMU campus. That is my old "stomping ground". I learned to swim at the pool near there and still crave the awesome subs from the New York Sub shop near the 7-11 near Snider Plaza. SMU is a wonderful school - but I have to agree with other's opinions regarding it to be in a very snobbish neighborhood. The Park Cities is old money... old rich affluent snobbish families. It's very uppity. If you can tolerate that, or fit in with it, then you could do great things there. SMU is an awesome school. You wouldn't have to live near campus - there is a neighborhood nearby with more affordable rents. (If you look at a map... follow Mockingbird Lane all the way to Central exp/hwy 75... you will see lots of streets that start with "M" and also a "Greenville Ave".... you can find more affordable duplexes and apartments to rent there... and it is close enough to SMU so that you could ride your bike or take the bus if you didn't have a car.)

I would also highly recommend Austin!!! It's a wonderful town and a great place to be a college student!! It is affordable, friendly, lots of good food, lots of things to do, some beautiful outdoor recreation type areas, a lot "greener" in my opinion than Dallas. Austin is a fun town! If you like live bands and good music and a lively and fun community - you'll want to go with Austin!!

I currently live in Redmond, east of Seattle... I think this would be an OK place to be a college student. In fact, my husband and I feel that we wish we would have lived here as single people rather than now as a family of four. We're not having a lot of fun here as a family as everything is so expensive and the weather is no fun. I can't comment on UW as I've never been a student there. I have heard some good things about it - though there has been some violent crime there recently which is sad. As far as living here, though, it is very expensive. Much more expensive than living anywhere in Texas. In Texas we rented a wonderful and very large house with an enormous backyard and beautiful sunny kitchen, hardwood floors, central heat and air conditioning, for $800/mo. in a really nice neighborhood. Here, we're in a tiny apartment - 1000 sq ft - and we're paying $1500 per month. No air conditioning, no yard, cramped, ugh. It isn't really very fun. So if you are concerned about money - you might want to stick with Texas.

Also, the weather out here in the Seattle area is something to consider. If you don't mind cold, wind, and misty rain 9 months out of the year, then you'll be OK. Being a native Texan, used to more sunny warm days than cold wet ones, I am having a hard time out here. I feel trapped inside my house, while others who are more used to the weather out here are happy to be out in it. It's just all relative, depending on what you're used to or what your comfort level is.

Good luck with your decision!!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:54 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
I would stick with Austin from the cities on your list, although I went to Tex A&M and am supposed to dislike U of Texas, it is a great school, very highly rated for business and Austin is a pretty cool place to be and reasonably cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.