Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:25 PM

14 posts, read 42,085 times

Advertisements

USA has something for everyone, also has a city of everyone. It is great that the people here are willing to help others out of their kindness proving Americans being the nicest people on earth.

Facts:
- I am an international student, sophomore business, studied for a year in Indianapolis(IUPUI) and got a very good GPA and looking to transfer to a GOOD school in business.
- I came to America looking for a city full of life, culture, art, diversity and a very vibrant downtown and didn't find that in Indy.
- I have a full scholarship for tuition, but for life expenses(including rent) I have only 15k a year.
- I would LOVE to move to NYC or LA or SF but since I don't like sleeping on the pavement...

My options after search:
ORLANDO: it has UCF and and Rollins college, my fears: Orlando has huge parks but no culture and its downtown is not that vibrant. Also UCF is not known for its business major, but Rollins which has a good reputation offers only a liberal arts degree in business and some people talk about its rich kids and their arrogance with international students.
AUSTIN: it has UT which is very good but a lot say UT is too big and the city is not as vibrant as I dream. Texas in general has a very hot weather and not much of beautiful outdoors and some would talk about their acceptance of foreigners in the society.
DALLAS: It has SMU which is somewhat like Rollins but more people talk about its arrogant students and also Dallas does not have culture and its more of a suburban city like Orlando but bigger.
SEATTLE: It has UW and Seattle U, my fear is the gloomy weather and the cost of living but everything else about it seems great.

Any opinion or additional info or even other options are welcome. I really love the US and hope to experience its best.
Thank you ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 05:45 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
It looks like you've done a good amount of research. Of those cities listed, I would say that Seattle and Austin are the most vibrant and offer the most culture although others will disagree I'm sure.

The biggest issue however is the 15K. Will this be for a 12 month period of simply for the 8 month school year? I'm assuming it does not include books or insurance or any other non-tuition related costs. If the answer is yes to one or both of those questions, it's going to be challenging living in most parts of urban America. It might be doable but it would depend on your lifestyle. I'm not sure what restrictions if any they place on international students finding employment, but if you can find some work on or off campus, just something part-time a few nights a week to supplement that income, it would work wonders so far as comfort is concerned. Otherwise, you're left with around $1200/month which could get tricky. You could probably rent a room off-campus in most of these places for around $500/month (yes even some places in Seattle), and then there's another couple hundred per month on food, and then....? You know your bills and lifestyle better than I would. Credit card? Cell phone? Health insurance? Gas/bus money? Gym membership? Random spending/leisure money? It's doable but you'd definitely have to keep tabs on your expenses.

Of the schools, UT is the best and I believe has the best business school, although Washington is no slouch either. I think Seattle as a city offers the most qualities that you're searching for, but Austin has the best school.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
What exactly do you mean by culture? Dallas has it, if it's what I think you mean.

Austin's culture is mostly geared around the college crowd and not the most sophisticated. If that's fine with you, you'll probably like it.

The large cities in Texas have no issue with people from other cultures. For example, Houston has the third largest number of foreign consulates in the country.

But in the end, I think you'd probably like Seattle the best for what you want.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:12 PM

14 posts, read 42,085 times
Thank you very much JJP and dullnboring for your responses and anyone reading this thread.
Money is the problem (isn't it always? ) and the 15k is for the whole year and I have to pay for the books but not the insurance. As for a part time job, it's very hard because the law only limits me to work on campus.

Still I didn't know your opinions about Orlando and what is the main difference between Seattle and Austin as far as the city and the cost of living. Any thoughts about the big universities VS small ones?

Any further comment are deeply appreciated.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahal2010 View Post
Still I didn't know your opinions about Orlando and what is the main difference between Seattle and Austin as far as the city and the cost of living. Any thoughts about the big universities VS small ones?
IMO Orlando lacks in culture and is mostly a city for tourists and families.

I've lived in Austin and had no problem with the big university. There are smaller ones there too. Of course, like I mentioned the culture and sports in Austin revolve around the university and are somewhat limited and unsophisticated.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:49 PM

154 posts, read 707,162 times
jjp is right. stay out of orlando, it's not what you'd be looking for at all. it's all just tourists, retirees & families from the north. it's probably the city in the US most devoid of any real culture, so i really doubt you'd enjoy it!

out of your choices though, seattle would be the best choice, even with the cost of living. if the experience is fully worth all the money, then go for it. otherwise, dallas & austin are nice, viable options as well. just NOT orlando!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Seattle, is you best bet. The future opportunities are looking up for that area as well. Look for the Pacific Northwest to prosper more than some other areas of the Country in the next few years. Job growth will be strong, and that relates to a better balanced lifestyle.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,595 times
Seattle is great, but the cost of living will make you suffer ... especially on $15K. The highest expense will come in housing, as the rental market in Seattle proper is very, very tight. Most people who move to Seattle want to live within city limits, so people are willing to pay a premium to be here.

If you do move to Seattle, have your school help you with finding housing. And stay away from the areas in highest demand: Capital Hill, Downtown, Belltown, Queen Anne, Central District, etc. You might also want to get to know some folks and maybe rent a house with 2 or 3 others. Apartments are scarce within city limits and getting more scarce with condo conversions (though, I imagine that activity is slowing down).

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with either Austin or Seattle. There are a lot of former Austinites living in Seattle, and many former Seattlites that moved to Austin. Both places seem to have comparable vibes and the folks that I know in both towns are fun-loving, happy, relatively raucous folk. Austin gets the edge on Seattle in cost of living, but otherwise, you can't go wrong either way.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
You certainly don't have to stay and reside in the city where you attend school. Of the four mentioned, I would pick Seattle as well. Even a gloomy city can be vibrant if you enjoy what you're doing, getting a lot of stimulation from your studies, and meet some great people.

What other areas have you considered?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:04 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Out of these Austin has the biggest reputation as a college town and its actually very green and pretty, not like some images of Texas you might have, which probably comes from the West Texas desert. Austin is a liberal city, and though I'm not a liberal, its a more down to Earth kind of liberalism (after all it is Texas). I've heard people are tolerant of differences without being elitist, snobby, or judgemental like the liberals in let's say Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, or Boston. Also if you are European you will probably be most used to the weather in Seattle. I doubt it rains more than Britain LOL. Persoally I don't mind hot weather though I hate cold weather.

In terms of scenery and natural beauty, Seattle beats the other ones hands down, given that despite the palm trees, Orlando is not a coastal city. In terms of a business degree and hot job markets, Dallas-Fort Worth is pretty good....because of course you may want to think about settlign down where you go to school.

What do you mean by "culture"? Austin is a major country music city though I think more for small bands/indie groups, vs. Nashville where the multi-billion dollar big country industry is based. My uncle was an international student there from Taiwan many years ago and loved it, and says there are a lot of natural places around to go fishing and do other outdoors activities. Are you from a European country? If so anything besides NY, LA, or SF or Chicago will probably be pretty bland for you.

I just graduated college in Maryland and I'm applying to dental and pharmacy school...have to choose one after I find out where I get into. I'm considering Baltimore (in-state tuition), Richmond, the Chicago area, Cincinnati, Las Vegas (actually a very normal place outside the tourist areas) and actually Dallas (the Baylor/Texas A&M dental school).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.