U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,235,722 times
Reputation: 998

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Toledo to Columbus, Ohio. Somebody forgot to build an Interstate to connect these cities.

The west side of Michigan on any weekend - all the Chicagolanders escaping Chicago.
Yeah, that's true. U.S. Highway 23 I think is slated to become Interstate 73 at some point in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,527 posts, read 7,483,594 times
Reputation: 10944
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The whole corridor from I-40 to Gatlinburg is the worst place I've ever been. Often takes over an hour to cover a 15 mile distance.


This is a fact, ive had the same experience. There is a back way into the Pigeon forge, Gatlinburg area but you have to enter from the Knoxville area. Everyone uses the Sevierville exit off 40 to get to the tourist areas. I literally spent 3 hours going from Gatlinburg to I-40 once. I came from North Carolina and did not know there was some bike or car show in Pigeon forge. Boy did I screw up, worse traffic than LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,235,722 times
Reputation: 998
I think, and in some of the cases I'm about to list would suspect, any rural area near the intersection of interstates is going to have heavy traffic as well. Point in case is Effingham, Illinois, where Interstates 57 and 70 cross paths, or where 57 meets 64 further south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 10,153,823 times
Reputation: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This is a fact, ive had the same experience. There is a back way into the Pigeon forge, Gatlinburg area but you have to enter from the Knoxville area. Everyone uses the Sevierville exit off 40 to get to the tourist areas. I literally spent 3 hours going from Gatlinburg to I-40 once. I came from North Carolina and did not know there was some bike or car show in Pigeon forge. Boy did I screw up, worse traffic than LA.
What causes this traffic? Is it a major freight route, tourism (local or outside), etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 10,153,823 times
Reputation: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I think, and in some of the cases I'm about to list would suspect, any rural area near the intersection of interstates is going to have heavy traffic as well. Point in case is Effingham, Illinois, where Interstates 57 and 70 cross paths, or where 57 meets 64 further south.
While you're talking Illinois, also I-39 and I-90 near Rockford. WHAT A MESS -- seemingly any day of the week, time of the day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,235,722 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
While you're talking Illinois, also I-39 and I-90 near Rockford. WHAT A MESS -- seemingly any day of the week, time of the day!
I already mentioned that one earlier in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,744,612 times
Reputation: 9029
Of course I95 between the large cities. Fredericksburg VA north to D.C in my experience was complete chaos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 07:44 PM
 
Location: IN
20,868 posts, read 36,017,910 times
Reputation: 13319
Route 1, Maine. It is the only road in and out for much of the Maine coast. Very crowded during the summer obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top