Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis....and I wish for this to happen, because I don't want to necessarily quit this job until I'm ready to start my own business, and I don't see that happening within 3-5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Previously, I would've added the SF Bay Area, but I live here now and find many of its people to be extremely unpleasant.
LOL. I'm from SoCal and never got a good vibe from the Bay Area, save its aesthetic appeal. Some SoCal people wanted to go to college and/or move up there. What is it about the people that makes them unpleasant?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM

133 posts, read 236,538 times
Rhode Island.
But that's just my little dream.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:09 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
You could live anywhere you wanted with that money, yes even manhattan. There are places that money is going to go farther but no place in the USA will that money afford you to be a king. You could move overseas, like China or Thailand or some place like that and live like a king.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
LOL. I'm from SoCal and never got a good vibe from the Bay Area, save its aesthetic appeal. Some SoCal people wanted to go to college and/or move up there. What is it about the people that makes them unpleasant?
People from the bay tend to be more stuck up than people from socal. It's actually kinda funny but whenever I was up there they like to tally ways norcal > socal like I really care. People from socal don't tend to have much opinion about it except SF is a great city and those mountains are beautiful and great for skiing and snowboarding.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The Floridian Panhandle. For the beaches, and not for the cultural amenities, that's for sure.
Yep, the Perdido Bay and Gulf Shores area is pretty nice and a relatively well-kept secret.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
50-60k is not a measly amount unless you want to be living in a part of town that is out of your means or with a different social class of people.

Most people do very well with 50-60k and the ones who don't are simply the people who don't know how to budget their money.

To answer the OP, if I could go anywhere I'd go to Miami and live there. It is without a doubt my favorite city in USA. Lived there once and can't wait to move back.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:08 AM

8 posts, read 11,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
If you have 800-1MM+ in cash maybe. You are not going to be able to afford the coast except maybe in Maine or somewhere that gets extremely cold in the winter. You could live in the North GA Mountains, Upstate South Carolina (foothills of the Blue Ridges), or some remote mountain area without a lot of amenities. Areas with a depressed economy like the Upper Peninsula of Michigan or northern Maine are affordable and beautiful but you won't like the weather. Unless you have money saved up don't expect much in the way of a house in your price range unless it is remote, not quite as scenic as other areas, has rough weather, is a depressed economy, and/or doesn't have a lot of jobs or high paying jobs around (which is ok for you as a telecommuter). Just wait until you see the prices in coastal GA/SC or in even semi-desirable mountain towns in Colorado and/or Wyoming - you will be shocked and start looking for alternatives in a hurry!
Hey now, don't shut out the UP of Michigan! I grew up there and would love to go back. Of course, the depressed economy is the reason why I can't (so you are correct there). However, my Dad worked for over a decade telecommuting from the Copper Country making around that pay and he raised me just fine. You could easily get a great home for not very much at all. My Dad's house (early 1900s 4-level mining home with three lots in town) cost $47k back in 2001.

You could even get waterfront property on the Portage Canal for the amount you would pay for a cheaper home in some of the larger US cities. There are quite a few people who actually who telecommute from there who work for places like IBM, and I've met quite a few people who have done anything to find a way to make the UP their home. People who have grad degrees have come back to work jobs not even in their field (and paying much less) just to be here, and I even know of a guy who drives a taxi in Minneapolis and then drives back to the Yoop every couple of weeks.

As for the weather, it's to each their own. We get a lot of snow as my hometown is the 3rd snowiest in the US, and the 1st snowiest in a non-mountainous region (the first two snowiest are Alaskan towns), but compared to the bitter winds in Minnesota, it's great. The summers are pleasant as well as we have our Lake Superior and canal beaches (ex: White City). If you're an outdoorsy kind of person, you'd enjoy it here. Where else can you tie your boat up to a pier leading out to a lighthouse and get your sun on with no one to pester you?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:31 AM

398 posts, read 751,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
50-60k is a good salary, it just isn't going to give someone a life of leisure or go very far in the most expensive markets. I think you would be comfortable on that salary in most places except for NYC, SF,DC, Boston, LA, etc.

Personally if I had that type of job lined up I'd probably go to New Orleans. I'm not sure about the COL of San Diego, but I've always thought it is a nice place.
As a single person I'd be perfectly fine in any of those metros. I have noticed people on city-data tend to live well beyond their means and the salaries people tout or money they should have saved up are greatly exaggerated. Then again, I don't have cable, don't have an expensive car, don't have an expensive cell phone contract, and any of that stuff. So, my costs are basically rent and food anywhere I go.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 AM

398 posts, read 751,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I have some friends who chose to telecommute from Chicago, because of the big-city entertainment options there and the ease of getting direct flights to their office when they needed to. It might not be affordable to live well in Chicago on the salary you listed.
That's a joke, I know people who live and go out all the time on Chicago making 30-40k. You guys need to redefine "living well"

Personally I would live somewhere in CA or FL, away from the cities. Why would I need to be there? Or just get subleases in a few cities and move around, why do you need a permanent residence?
I'm more of a book person for entertainment purpose anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.