U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 PM

18 posts, read 84,263 times

Advertisements

Ok, say you had a 100% telecommute job with a salary in the 50K-60K range and you were tired of the Mid-West. Where in the US would you live? A beach in Florida? A town high in the Rockies? The Pacific Northwest?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
50K-60K isn't a ton of money anymore and won't go far in many dream destinations. Given your in the Midwest I would opt for a coastal location. Savannah could be a good option as it's relatively affordable and has quite a lot to do in terms of culture and entertainment.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 PM

Yes, that salary range does exclude a lot of dream locations such as Hawaii, NYC, Coastal California, Aspen, CO. So, to add a criteria to the question, it would need to be an area with a decent cost of living.

I have some family that lives in Atlanta and they often sing the praises of coastal Georgia where they do most of their vacationing. Seems like a beach house near Savannah would be sweet (but would probably have to settle for a house at least a few blocks away from the beach).

Last edited by mvgeb; 03-08-2012 at 07:27 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,197,700 times
I'd live where I do now, or maybe Seattle. I could make $60,000 last four years here fairly easily.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 PM

350 posts, read 630,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvgeb View Post
Yes, that salary range does exclude a lot of dream locations such as Hawaii, NYC, Coastal California. So, to add a criteria to the question, it would need to be an area with a decent cost of living.

I have some family that lives in Atlanta and they often sing the praises of coastal Georgia where they do most of their vacationing. Seems like a beach house near Savannah would be sweet.
If you have 800-1MM+ in cash maybe. You are not going to be able to afford the coast except maybe in Maine or somewhere that gets extremely cold in the winter. You could live in the North GA Mountains, Upstate South Carolina (foothills of the Blue Ridges), or some remote mountain area without a lot of amenities. Areas with a depressed economy like the Upper Peninsula of Michigan or northern Maine are affordable and beautiful but you won't like the weather. Unless you have money saved up don't expect much in the way of a house in your price range unless it is remote, not quite as scenic as other areas, has rough weather, is a depressed economy, and/or doesn't have a lot of jobs or high paying jobs around (which is ok for you as a telecommuter). Just wait until you see the prices in coastal GA/SC or in even semi-desirable mountain towns in Colorado and/or Wyoming - you will be shocked and start looking for alternatives in a hurry!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,124,386 times
LA, from which I do in fact telecommute

Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 PM

964 posts, read 2,048,545 times
San Fran. It would have to be a high-paying job, because it's San Fran, but I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy
If you have 800-1MM+ in cash maybe. You are not going to be able to afford the coast except maybe in Maine or somewhere that gets extremely cold in the winter. You could live in the North GA Mountains, Upstate South Carolina (foothills of the Blue Ridges), or some remote mountain area without a lot of amenities. Areas with a depressed economy like the Upper Peninsula of Michigan or northern Maine are affordable and beautiful but you won't like the weather. Unless you have money saved up don't expect much in the way of a house in your price range unless it is remote, not quite as scenic as other areas, has rough weather, is a depressed economy, and/or doesn't have a lot of jobs or high paying jobs around (which is ok for you as a telecommuter). Just wait until you see the prices in coastal GA/SC or in even semi-desirable mountain towns in Colorado and/or Wyoming - you will be shocked and start looking for alternatives in a hurry!
Ok, maybe I should have asked, if your tired of the midwest, is there any other part of the US that a measly 50-60K a year can give you a decent standard of living?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:47 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,291,698 times
Quote:
Ok, maybe I should have asked, if your tired of the midwest, is there any other part of the US that a measly 50-60K a year can give you a decent standard of living?
50-60k is a good salary, it just isn't going to give someone a life of leisure or go very far in the most expensive markets. I think you would be comfortable on that salary in most places except for NYC, SF,DC, Boston, LA, etc.

Personally if I had that type of job lined up I'd probably go to New Orleans. I'm not sure about the COL of San Diego, but I've always thought it is a nice place.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,734,184 times
Quote:

ehhhhh...

I think that guy was talking about beachfront property or "exclusive" communities. Modest homes in the coastal region of Georgia and NE Florida aren't terribly expensive. Check out around the Brunswick, Ga area for a good idea of what I'm talking about. That's right next to St. Simmons and Jeckyl Islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or