U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 AM
41 posts, read 198,769 times
Reputation: 32



I have a question concerning a friend of mine- Hes european, lives in Europe, but lived in the US for six months to do an internship. Now he wants to come back to the States - through connections he was offered a job, entry-level position, marketing. Its a European company with two offices in the States.

Since I am absolutely not familiar with that topic, does anyone know anything about the visa stuff? I know that he cant just come and work here, I know there are visa like J1, H1B etc. Does anyone know what visa he could apply for etc? Id be happy about any info.

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM
32,112 posts, read 33,030,273 times
Reputation: 14962
I suggest you post this question on the Legal Immigration forum.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Location: the dairyland
1,195 posts, read 1,928,327 times
Reputation: 1570
The company should be able to take care of that, right? I know your friend can't apply for a visa himself (unless it is a J1 visa for an internship). The company has to do so.

If he applied to the company and did not mention the fact that he needs a work permit then he will probably not get the job and can't move to the US. It is a very tedious procedure to get a visa unless the European company employs him in Europe and sends him to work in the US (which no company would do for an entry-level position).

Also, no offense, but your friend should be able to take care of all that himself instead of having a friend ask in an online forum.

Very helpful is also the website of his local US embassy or the website of uscis
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Location: Niflheim
1,302 posts, read 1,675,650 times
Reputation: 1065
Check the USCIS website. I don't know all the visa types but HB-1 is probably the only option.
But it will be difficult for the employer to justify they need this guy and no domestic person could perform the same tasks for the same pay.
Other visa types require years of experience and then a intra-company transfer would be a option.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top