Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Minding one's own business is an urban trait in my opinion as people typically have a lot more on their minds than "what was that noise?' or "who was that knocking at the neighbor's door?" whereas in suburbia people are less involved typically and more time and effort is spent observing. So I think the short answer is large cities is where one should look for people minding their own business.
I wouldn't go that far, I know some Towns that people will go out of their way to ignore you if you don't live in that town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Mightyqueen..Sad about the elderly man who was dead in his house for a year before anyone knew...I think it would take a few days or so before anyone knew that I died. I don't plan to die but I've thought about how long it would take for anyone to find out. (Like you have!)...So if I'm "missing" from CD for a week or so it might mean that I "kicked the bucket." But as I said I'm not planning to "go!"
I hope not! I enjoy your posts.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:02 AM

55 posts, read 182,591 times
Definitely Alaska.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:14 AM

475 posts, read 507,757 times
Los Angeles. Here people dont give a damn about your life.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
I have to confess that I can be a curious and maybe even a nosy person. My son calls it being a "spy." He's curious too! But we keep it all "under wraps" and stay incognito!...No one would ever guess that we are such curious people! We don't "hound" or bother anyone. We stick to ourselves most of the time and probably seem like friendly but "private people."...It's just interesting to "take-in" what's going on around us. (To be in the "know" in other words even if we're not "out there" all the time ourselves.)...Who is everyone? What do they "do" and "like" and "dislike?" What is their culture like? What do they seem to believe? How does their family "operate?"....We're just naturally curious people. But we tend to stay "behind the scenes" most of the time and don't always get personally involved with everyone. (But we're friendly to all. Always say "hi!" Don't believe in ignoring people!)

Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
My husband and I ended-up moving out of our suburb home in Oceanside CA due to a neighbor..At first the neighbor (across the street) seemed nice and sweet. I liked her a lot. Then I realized that she "ruled" the neighborhood and a lot of people were secretly afraid of her "wrath."...She always seemed "sugary sweet" but she could be very demanding and pushy. She would drop-by unannounced at any time. And she expected everyone to "drop everything" and be "on call" when she wanted you to come over and see something new that she bought or when she wanted to boast or brag about her kids or grandkids...She "spied" on us (and others) through her kitchen window. She knew what was "going on" in the neighborhood at all times...An older lady and her grandson moved into the house next to us. We liked the new neighbor a lot but the "boss of the neighborhood" across the street from us didn't like her at all! And the "boss" gossipped about the new neighbor left and right and tried to "punish" anyone who liked her. It got to be ridiculous! My husband and I decided to move even though we loved our house!...We just got tired of all the silly games! And tired of having to put-up with a self-appointed "dictator!"
Oy.... You know in the workplace its expected but imo a persons home should be their private sanctuary. It is why we pay extra property tax, or whats the point?

Most people mind their own business but there's always one on the block who has to "keep track". When I broke up w. ex and had a bf my neighbor had to know all about it, but made a point to say she and her husband "aren't prudes" then she proceeded to tell me stories about 3 or 4 other divorced couples in the neighborhood...I wasnt even asking!.

Sometimes an apartment is more private than certain suburban neighborhoods.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:01 PM

570 posts, read 1,339,640 times
Lol, this thread reminds me of my mother in law. She used to babysit my kids when they were small. When I would get home from work, she would give me a play-by-play of every single thing each of our neighbors did while she was there. "Neighbor X washed his car and spent a lot of time waxing it. Neighbor Y has people visiting, they came in that huge green car. Neighbor Z walked to the store and back twice." Made me want to scream.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
I am polite and if I am friends or interested, thats one thing. But I dislike neigborhood gossips who have nothing better to do.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
One time I took a wrong turn on a dead end road in (very) rural West Virginia. Passed a cluster of about 5 houses squeezed between the hillside and the river, went around the bend and a half mile later, the road ended so I had to turn around.

When I got back to where the houses were, the folks who were sitting on the porches had stretched a log across the road forcing me to stop. They really wanted to know what I was doing there! I asked them some good places to fish and if they could sell me some bait.

They turned real friendly at that point, but I thought their technique to get me to stop and explain myself was a bit extreme. They said they didn't like my New York plates but since I was down there to go fishing, I was the right sort!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
When I move to a new area I assume that I might run into some people who are territorial. (Same goes for jobs.)...I try to "tread lightly" and show respect and consideration for those who were "there" before me...Don't want to "ruffle" any "feathers." Or act like I came to "take over" and change everything...Once people realize that I'm not a "threat" they usually leave me alone. And focus on people who do seem "suspicious." (I can relate to ABQConvict's fishing trip in rural West Virginia! )...It can be this way when "outsiders" move to a new area too. Longtime residents have fears about their intentions: "Why did you move here? What do you want? Keep your big-city ways to yourself! We don't want to become just like So CA! Don't think that you're going to 'take over' and change our town!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.