U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What's your city's gender?
Male 26 50.98%
Female 17 33.33%
Transgender 8 15.69%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2012, 12:13 PM
 
1,766 posts, read 2,784,121 times
Reputation: 1497

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Hard to say -- Atlanta is a toughie. Is it a young black professional male or female? Hmm..
LOL are you kidding.. Atlanta's ponytail practically touches the floor!

Houston and especially Philadelphia to me seem far more butch for whatever reason, while Atlanta and Charlotte feel more elegant. For me, the combination of rolling hills, wrot iron fences and 'pointy' architecture etc. all but screams Whitley Gilbert!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 28,612,669 times
Reputation: 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Portland is a young socially hip male, not a woman.
I disagree and voted the San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver BC swath as female because of the extreme political correctness. So many public people have had to make apologies for the SLIGHTEST gaffe, and even everyday working folks are called to do the same, for what would get a chuckle somewhere else.

Within the last 20 years, some high official at the University of Oregon was commenting on the diversity of the student body and gave a list of the diversity and mentioned "Orientals." Did that ever create an UPROAR! There was a time within the last 40 years or so in which that term was used and no one found it offensive. After all, Pacific Asia still is "the Orient" and I've still seen Oriental food markets, though they've changed their signs within the last decade.

I think you are thinking about the high concentration of hipsters in Portland. I'll give you that. But the overall "energy" is female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 12:23 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 28,612,669 times
Reputation: 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
Is it because of all the military men?
Not from what I've heard, but it contributes to it.

"Man Diego" and "Menver" are terms mentioned in articles and in general discussion, indicating that there aren't as many attractive women in proportion to the qualified men seeking to hook up with them. While I can see this in Denver, because some of these guys (suits who got jobs there) don't necessarily see themselves with gals who answered "the call of the Rockies," I don't see this in San Diego because most of the women there do look like typical Southern California girls. Incidentally, the ratios of men:women in the traditional dating ages is about 50:50, with SLIGHTLY more men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,660 posts, read 6,853,198 times
Reputation: 2440
Los Angeles is female due to the gender-based double standards that plague the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 02:05 PM
 
7,385 posts, read 13,232,204 times
Reputation: 8995
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Portland is a young socially hip male, not a woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I disagree and voted the San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver BC swath as female because of the extreme political correctness. So many public people have had to make apologies for the SLIGHTEST gaffe, and even everyday working folks are called to do the same, for what would get a chuckle somewhere else.

...

I think you are thinking about the high concentration of hipsters in Portland. I'll give you that. But the overall "energy" is female.
I disagreed. While I don't see PDX as being "socially hip"... there is a bit of a masculine energy. Same for Seattle. I can only guess that its because of the nerdiness factor. Maybe also the "angst" identity that these 2 were heavily associated with. These two used to be heavily logger/lumberjack towns. That's about as "male" as you can get.

I ended up putting down "transgendered" because I do feel the feminine energy as well, but the masculinity is definitely there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM
 
1,592 posts, read 2,963,458 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I disagree and voted the San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver BC swath as female because of the extreme political correctness. So many public people have had to make apologies for the SLIGHTEST gaffe, and even everyday working folks are called to do the same, for what would get a chuckle somewhere else.

Within the last 20 years, some high official at the University of Oregon was commenting on the diversity of the student body and gave a list of the diversity and mentioned "Orientals." Did that ever create an UPROAR! There was a time within the last 40 years or so in which that term was used and no one found it offensive. After all, Pacific Asia still is "the Orient" and I've still seen Oriental food markets, though they've changed their signs within the last decade.

I think you are thinking about the high concentration of hipsters in Portland. I'll give you that. But the overall "energy" is female.
I live here and I have to disagree, I don't even notice that stuff going on, my ear is to the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 06:42 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 28,612,669 times
Reputation: 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
I live here and I have to disagree, I don't even notice that stuff going on, my ear is to the street.
Put it this way, the region's big cities don't currently tend to vote in CRUSTY mayors that have often been elected in roll-up-the-sleeves Northeastern and Midwestern cities. The only CRUSTY person I can think of is SF's Willie Brown, and now they have Gavin Newsom and his epic City Hall affair scandal, which many liberal San Franciscans have swept under the rug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 PM
 
1,592 posts, read 2,963,458 times
Reputation: 2145
again, I don't pay attention to that stuff, and it hardly makes a difference at street level. That's where your idea of a city should come from anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 09:05 PM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,147,169 times
Reputation: 10009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
LOL are you kidding.. Atlanta's ponytail practically touches the floor!

Houston and especially Philadelphia to me seem far more butch for whatever reason, while Atlanta and Charlotte feel more elegant. For me, the combination of rolling hills, wrot iron fences and 'pointy' architecture etc. all but screams Whitley Gilbert!
I can go with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Philly suburbs or Jersey Shore or Philadelphia
142 posts, read 308,775 times
Reputation: 119
I don't think there's much question about Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top