U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California vs Florida vs Hawaii which state has the best looking palm trees
California 20 20.41%
Florida 32 32.65%
Hawaii 46 46.94%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:32 PM

275 posts, read 348,650 times

Advertisements

i lived in hawaii for years. very tropical climate but less humidity and warmer climate.
the flowers r gorgeous there, but pretty in florida too.
california is a beautiful state too, but of course more cars & so more pollution than hawaii.
sure beats the northeast, that's for sure. i hate the fact all the flowers die in winter in the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 PM

Default beautiful pix, nicer beaches than Daytona Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Coconut Palms doing just fine in Broward County, FL
beaches r so wide in Volousia county, & you can drive cars onto them too.
Really like the look of this beach.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Gosh, this makes me miss southern tropical climates SO much!
i gotta get out of the north... i hate it here. People are so mean up north, & life is so tough to survive in, in the winter.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,138,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
What is a desert palm?
California & Mexican Fans

Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 PM

15,551 posts, read 17,783,363 times
Generally speaking, I consider palm ugly. At least they don't do much for me. However, in the admittedly beautiful coastal landscapes of Hawaii and the Caribbean, they fit in nicely, the coconut palms are rather graceful.

Thus, I would put them in this order:

Hawaii

Florida

California

Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,114,318 times
Quote:
I could not disagree more. California is too limited on the types it can grow. Basicly Washingtonia,Queens,and Canary. Ca doesn't hold a candle to Hawaii or Florida when it comes to palms. Way more variety.
California is not limited. The only kinds it cannot grow that are commonly used in SoFla are the coconut palm and the christmas palm. Even then, there are several specimens (albeit not very healthy) of christmas palms and coconut palm in southern California. Even Fiji Fan Palms can be spotted sometimes in CA and FL, though Hawaii grows them best due to its lack of cool weather unlike the other two states.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:27 PM

5,519 posts, read 17,702,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
California is not limited. The only kinds it cannot grow that are commonly used in SoFla are the coconut palm and the christmas palm. Even then, there are several specimens (albeit not very healthy) of christmas palms and coconut palm in southern California. Even Fiji Fan Palms can be spotted sometimes in CA and FL, though Hawaii grows them best due to its lack of cool weather unlike the other two states.
Port Au Prince, Haiti makes Hawaii look like the Arctic.

Average Weather for Port-au-Prince, * - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Honolulu, HI - Temperature and Precipitation

East warmer than West.

Atlantic warmer than Pacific.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,247,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Still don't get why people would want to replace those palms with oaks. I get it, more shade. But how hot does Coastal SoCal get in the 1st place? Palms are so iconic in LA. Why replace it with one of the most common trees in the US?
It's not because of shade. They want trees that can intake more carbon dioxide and produce more oxygen, which palm trees are not very good at.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Good point. That's a very temperate climate palm. Why isn't there more of that palm grown in the US? Good point.
Those are everywhere in Southern California, especially LA and OC areas.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I could not disagree more. California is too limited on the types it can grow. Basicly Washingtonia,Queens,and Canary. Ca doesn't hold a candle to Hawaii or Florida when it comes to palms. Way more variety.
Not true at all, you can grow pretty much all types of palms in Southern California (with the exception of Coconut Palms and some uncommon and less popular tropical palms that most people probably don't even know about). I've seen Kings, Queens, Royals, Palmettos, Date Palms, Canary Island Date Palms, Majesty Palms, Mexican Fan Palms, California Fan Palms, Mediterranean Fan Palms, Windmill Palms, etc. Not to mention those are the ones I see planted everywhere, so i didn't include the less common types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.