Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California vs Florida vs Hawaii which state has the best looking palm trees
California 20 20.00%
Florida 32 32.00%
Hawaii 48 48.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times

Advertisements

I'd probably say Hawaii by a slight margin over Florida because I really like Coconut Palms and they look better in Hawaii than Florida. As someone else stated Florida's look more stressed, shorter and browner fronds. But Florida does have a wider variety from what I recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:33 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,902,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
California's are the best kept in my opinion.
California has lots of tall Washingtonia and Canary Island Date Palms. Florida and Hawaii has a larger variety of palms due to the climate being conductive to more tropical foliage. Hawaii is slightly better than Florida because it is truely tropical..

California does well with palms that don't need a lot of water. That's why you don't see Royal Palms or Coco Palms in CA often.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
California has lots of tall Washingtonia and Canary Island Date Palms. Florida and Hawaii has a larger variety of palms due to the climate being conductive to more tropical foliage. Hawaii is slightly better than Florida because it is truely tropical..

California does well with palms that don't need a lot of water. That's why you don't see Royal Palms or Coco Palms in CA often.
Actually there are some Royal Palms growing around South Coast Plaza in Orange County that do very well (Palm Trees Growing In Popularity - Sun Sentinel)

There is only one Coconut palm in Orange County growing next to a building on PCH in Newport Beach (google it to see), but it's very stunted. Apparently their roots don't like lots of cold rain, which Southern CA gets every winter.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Actually there are some Royal Palms growing around South Coast Plaza in Orange County that do very well (Palm Trees Growing In Popularity - Sun Sentinel)

There is only one Coconut palm in Orange County growing next to a building on PCH in Newport Beach (google it to see), but it's very stunted. Apparently their roots don't like lots of cold rain, which Southern CA gets every winter.
But again Royal Palms are very rare in Ca. It gets to cool in California for palms that bear fruit to thrive. Thats why I rank Ca dead last in this discussion.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
But again Royal Palms are very rare in Ca. It gets to cool in California for palms that bear fruit to thrive. Thats why I rank Ca dead last in this discussion.
But it depends which Palms you prefer. I love the Phoenix Canariensis that grow so abundantly in CA. Those are my Favorite types besides the Washintonia's.

Phoenix canariensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-14-2012, 06:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
For tropicalness?

1. Hawaii

2. Florida

3. California

Most of California's palms are dessert loving palms.

You can't grow a Coconut tree in California because of the arid climate, you can in Hawaii & Florida because its much more humid.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But it depends which Palms you prefer. I love the Phoenix Canariensis that grow so abundantly in CA. Those are my Favorite types besides the Washintonia's.

Phoenix canariensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Does are nice palms. That species can be found in Florida and Hawaii too.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:42 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,888 times
Cali's palms have been sergically enhanced

Florida's are photo shopped

Hawaii's well they are all beach bums

lol jk jk jk jk jk jk jk jk jk jk jk jk jk

Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM

398 posts, read 751,309 times
Quote:

South Florida is tropical too, derrr. The entire state of FL however isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.